Fun Ways to CountDown to Vacation

MyTempered

I would like to come up with a fun way for the kids to count down to the cruise. What ideas do you have? Here are a couple to get things started:

1. Checking off dates on a calendar. Kind of standard and boring. Perhaps we can make it a bit more fun by buying some beach themed stickers and putting a sticker on every day that passes.

2. Paper chain. Loop strips of paper to make a chain. Every day, take one loop off until there are no loops left! I've seen these made to look like caterpillars, so that could be a cute idea as well.

What else?

Christi

I've made a paper chain using cruise travel catalogue pictures. If you are making this for a trip that is a long ways off, you can cut every seventh strip twice as wide so that it is easier to count the weeks.

When my kids were little and still learning to speak, I would write simple words that relate to where we were going and would review them with the kids each day. I would also use the pictures on the chain as a jumping off point for discussion and learning, such a dolphins, oceans, etc. Sometimes we would look things up on the internet, find out what sounds various animals make (ever heard a manatee?) or get books from the library. Part of this was to assuage my guilt over taking the kids out of school for a week.

We posted little squares of paper with numbers counting down to our next cruise around the house. The chain ends at the kitchen, where DS1 drew a cruise ship. It originally started in DS2's room, wound it's way around the room to the door, down the hallway, around DS1's room and now making its way down the hall to the ship! The kids helped write all the number (starting at 300 and some...), cutting out the paper, taping them on the wall (with painter's tape) in order, then every night taking one down. Since they've been up so long, some have fallen down so DS2's job is to find the right spot. It's been great to teach counting backwards and forwards, cutting, printing numbers and patience ;)

We bought magnetic numbers and put them on the fridge. Got magnetic letters that spelled xxx DAYS TILL CARNIVAL FREEDOM. Each day before breakfast we would have someone change the date. Everyone who came into our house got dragged to the fridge and we had to review how many days. I printed out pictures of the ship and other cruise related pics such as beaches and even Funship Freddy and put magnets on theback so we had a scene regarding our upcoming trip. We also had countdown time for the younger ones ... like we have to have summer, then the big kids go back to school, then we prepare for halloween then whats next??? Woo hoo cruise time.

oooh, I love the magnet idea! My toddler is really into magnets on the refrigerator right now and I'm planning to get her some number/letter magnets for Christmas. I'm thinking I'll make some cruise magnets to go along with it! Great idea!

We have done many of these ideas, but the one that the kids loved the most was an "Advent Calendar" type calendar. We made a big calendar one month out and each day, the kids peeled off a square and behind the square was a picture, activities we would do on the ship or something we had to do to get ready. The calendar squares that were peeled off had a die cut of something cruise/beach related.

Archived