Ships horns in Port Everglades question

mountainmare

OK--so I don't have a life. I've been watching the portcam for Port Everglades and noticed that usually the ships sound their horns as they pass the condos, but if they leave after dark--even if it is just dark they don't. Today one left at six, and even though the residents were ringing bells the ship was quiet.

Is there a law? Is it after sunset no noise?

Just wondering. I can understand not wanting a late departure blasting later at night.

OK--so I don't have a life. I've been watching the portcam for Port Everglades and noticed that usually the ships sound their horns as they pass the condos, but if they leave after dark--even if it is just dark they don't. Today one left at six, and even though the residents were ringing bells the ship was quiet.

Is there a law? Is it after sunset no noise?

Just wondering. I can understand not wanting a late departure blasting later at night.

I musn't have a life either because I was watching the Port Everglades web cam both this past Saturday AND Sunday. :D

I too wondered about the significance of the horn. I noted that they usually gave three long blows of the horn as they came to the end of the breakwater. I wondered if there are different lengths of the horn being blown for various circumstances - kind of like a railroad engineer who toots the horn a certain number of times for level crossings and other numbers /variations for other circumstances.

If there is a Q/A session on my upcoming cruise, I think I'll ask this question.

It is my understanding that the three horn signal is the port departure signal that the ship is supposed to use.

I, too, have wondered why some of the vessels do signal and while some do not.

I also think that the multiple horn blasts we heard last week-end depends upon the desires of the individual ship Masters. I have sailed on vessels when the Captain seemed to get into the "game" while others sounded the 3 "toots" and were done.

It is my understanding that the three horn signal is the port departure signal that the ship is supposed to use.

I, too, have wondered why some of the vessels do signal and while some do not.

I also think that the multiple horn blasts we heard last week-end depends upon the desires of the individual ship Masters. I have sailed on vessels when the Captain seemed to get into the "game" while others sounded the 3 "toots" and were done.

well, sorry - wrong

Your reference is the US Inland Rules of the Road, and the International Rules of the Road at Sea

available on line or as a US Coast Guard publication

trying to be very brief as to what ships sound signals would apply to a ship in the Port Everglades area, a ship leaving via the main channel should sound NO signals

three blasts would mean their engines were operating astern (they were braking)

A ship's horn has a meaning internationally. Random 'toots' are technically a violation of the law. The legal outcome of cases involving ship collisions have been based on the sound signals the ships involved made or did not make.

That a master decides to entertain people by sounding the ships horn is akin to you driving around your neighborhood blowing your car horn to celibrate your birthday or some other event.

OK until someone gets hurt or complains

Thank you for the information, Capt BJ. I was informed incorrectly by someone whom I thought knew what they were talking about.

I do find it curious that so many ship Captains do this "3 toots" on departure at other ports as well as at Port Everglades when it is something that they should not do.

well, sorry - wrong

Your reference is the US Inland Rules of the Road, and the International Rules of the Road at Sea

available on line or as a US Coast Guard publication

trying to be very brief as to what ships sound signals would apply to a ship in the Port Everglades area, a ship leaving via the main channel should sound NO signals

three blasts would mean their engines were operating astern (they were braking)

A ship's horn has a meaning internationally. Random 'toots' are technically a violation of the law. The legal outcome of cases involving ship collisions have been based on the sound signals the ships involved made or did not make.

That a master decides to entertain people by sounding the ships horn is akin to you driving around your neighborhood blowing your car horn to celibrate your birthday or some other event.

OK until someone gets hurt or complains

I thought it was something like that. I don't know that I've ever heard the ships horns coming in or out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale. That would get old really quick.

Can you imagine the complaints from the South Pointe Park/SoFi area and Fisher Island?

I thought it was something like that. I don't know that I've ever heard the ships horns coming in or out of Miami or Fort Lauderdale. That would get old really quick.

Can you imagine the complaints from the South Pointe Park/SoFi area and Fisher Island?

I'm asking because of the horns out of Fort Lauderdale. It is a real happening (look at the port cam to see) Some owners of the condos have bells and their own horns and the ships put on a show.

I was wondering if there was a local noise law that took place after a certain time of the evening.

Archived