Lets boycott RCCL's new alcohol purchase policy

MrChuckFL

I've seen this from time to time on different ships through the years ... generally it was reserved for "high probability of abuse" cruises, such as during spring break. I've gone to pick my liquor up in the past and also gotten it packed into my bag without an issue before a flight. Not a big deal at all.

My pure speculation is that the Monarch has instituted this policy for a purpose ... it could be that it is easier for RCI to distribute (ie, you have to go get it instead of it being delivered) or it could be because there have been some issues of late.

Um, just wondering. You folks do realize that RCCL can be fined big bucks if its determined they were enabling passengers to avoid duty. You know, like the parties people post about.

The concept of duty free is to take advantage of laws to allow you to purchase items without taxes for consumption in other locales, generally defined as their final destination and NOT in transit. Depending on the ports and countries involved, violating these rules can be an incarceration level infraction.

Just got off the Navigator on Saturday and they delivered our booze to the room the night before (Friday)around 8-9 pm and if you went down after 3 on Friday they let you take it with you. I have heard from my friends that just sailed Monarch that it is for the short cruises that you need to pick it up.

Um, just wondering. You folks do realize that RCCL can be fined big bucks if its determined they were enabling passengers to avoid duty. You know, like the parties people post about.

The concept of duty free is to take advantage of laws to allow you to purchase items without taxes for consumption in other locales, generally defined as their final destination and NOT in transit. Depending on the ports and countries involved, violating these rules can be an incarceration level infraction.

Ok now.........I am really really scared!

Gotta agree with you on this. If you want to purchase it just leave some room in a suitcase and stick it in. Easy enough.

It does sound easy, but if you have to hurry to catch a flight and have alot already packed, it could take some maneuvering....

Originally Posted by Loonbeam

You would be hard pressed to accuse RCI of enabling based on whether the booze was delivered on the last night or picked up on disembarkation day. That's quite a stretch of the imagination.

You would be hard pressed to accuse RCI of enabling based on whether the booze was delivered on the last night or picked up on disembarkation day. That's quite a stretch of the imagination.

So's their legal liability for someone drinking their own liquor and falling overboard, but there you go .... ;)

I have a feeling that it is not a fleetwide policy that has come from corporate, but a policy put in place by the revenue director onboard the ship which is why we are not seeing a uniform policy between ships.

There is a huge about of competition between ships revenue directors so if one starts doing it and another hears that it is increasing revenue you can be sure they will try it too.

One thing is for sure, RCCL does a terrible job with fleetwide policies so it is doubtful this is fleetwide.

Normally, I let these type of threads pass by, but the concept of boycott just disturbs me.

If something is of value it will sell. If it is not of value or the way to get it outweighs its value, it won't sell.

Just hang on to your dollars if you don't wish to "play the game" and be happy.

If you want to enjoy saving some dollars and do not mind waiting, spend the dollars and enjoy.

Free market and enterprise will rule this one also.

Normally, my consumption of adult beverage is lower on ship than when I am home, so I really do not have a "bone to pick" on saving money.

I used to bring my own personal beverage because I could not purchase my label, nor was I allowed to pre-order it (a guaranteed sale...just not guaranteed margin of profit for the company). However, even carrying my own has ceased as it is more of a problem than what I desire.

End result for me, I save the worry, weight, and hassle of packing. And I also save the "bug-a-boo" of waiting for purchases to be delivered and/or picked up and then have to pack and fly or even drive.

Again, free market and enterprise has governed the choice I make. If it is worth it, I will pay the funds or weigh the carry on option.

Since, these options are not worthwhile to me, I just do not worry about it and enjoy drinking a beverage on board and at home purchasing at the local tax rate in my state as I would prefer to give business to someone I know personally in my hometown as opposed to those I do not personally know.

Enjoy the debate, but I do not see any significance to the change in my sailing choice, preference, or how I would determine to spend my funds.

So no boycott here!

One thing is for sure, RCCL does a terrible job with fleetwide policies so it is doubtful this is fleetwide.

Very true....the inconstancy in policy from ship to ship always amazes me....I just came off Liberty where ONLY suite guests were allowed to use Chops as a Windjammer overflow for breakfast and lunch.....in contrast Freedom allowed everyone who was Emerald and above....go figure. I even had a conversation about it with the concierge....basically he said that unless it's written policy somewhere each ship tends to interpret things their own way.

If you think of it, its a fairly easy way for RCI to respond to a complaint from a tax authority.

'We've been hearing a lot of people have been consuming Duty Free alcohol on board the last night. If we find out this is true, you'll be fined!'

'So ok, we'll give it to them the last morning!'

We were on Jewel of the Seas right before Thanksgiving and they also had the pick up on the disembarkation day. We purchased a bottle of tequila in Cozumel and carried it on. They found us and directed us to the table to check our bottles but they were so busy we just kept walking.

We ended up buying two bottles of liquor in Costa Maya and were again stopped at the x-ray machine and directed to "the Table". Fortunately the people in front of us had a water bottle in their backpack and the inspector got distracted so we again walked right past with our purchases. We didn't open any of these bottles in our cabin as they were Christmas presents but I would say that trying to pack these three bottles in my luggage either after we collected our suitcases or at the airport would have been a royal pain in the A:p:confused:! It took me 15-20 minutes trying to figure out which bottle could go in which suitcase without going over the 50 pound limit. So yes, it can be a big deal to just put the bottle in your freakin suitcase the next day!

I will say that because of their policies we did purchase the wine package instead of smuggling a bottle on board. We found that you can go up to the Windjammer at 5:00 or whenever they open for dinner and pick up your bottle to take back to your room. They even gave us wine or champagne glasses and opened the bottle if we wanted. We did have an extra bottle left over (it was only a 5 night cruise) which I also had to pack into my suitcases with the other 3 bottles of liquor. So we paid a premium price for some cheaper wines but at least we had something to sip in our cabin while we were dressing for dinner!

Just off the Monarch and found out that RCCL has again changed the alcohol purchase policy in their quest to get a few more $$ out of cruisers.

They are no longer delivering purchases to staterooms on the last day of the cruise. They are now requiring passengers to pick up their purchases between 7 and 9 am on their way off the ship.

This policy also applies to purchases that were made at a port and held when returning to the ship and to purchases made late the last day when you used to be able to just take it back with you.

The pickup point for port purchases was in one place (I think the theater) and the pickup point for onboard purchases was at the store.

After finding out about this change we opted to skip the purchase because it is too much of a hassle to go and retrieve the purchases in the morning and I like to have it packed in my suitcase the night before.

We need to send a message to RCCL that this is unacceptable. I am urging anyone who normally purchases alcohol at the ship's duty free to skip that and instead purchase the alcohol at one of the ports. You will still have to go through the hassle of picking up your purchases, but at least RCCL will not be benefiting from your purchases.

Really a boycott???? Much more pressing and important things to complain about , sorry just MHO...K.O. near Philly

Duty Free goods are meant too be taken from and consumed out of, the country that didn't charge the duty. So last night parties in international waters are exactly that.

Um, just wondering. You folks do realize that RCCL can be fined big bucks if its determined they were enabling passengers to avoid duty.

Thanks Johnny Cochran. The responsibility of declaring and paying duty is on the passenger not the seller of the duty free item. RCCL has no more responsibility in regards to duty whether on alcohol, jewelry, cigarettes, etc than any other store in any port of call selling items duty free. Using your rationale, every purchase made duty free should be kept from you until you disembark the vessel.

We were on Jewel of the Seas right before Thanksgiving and they also had the pick up on the disembarkation day. We purchased a bottle of tequila in Cozumel and carried it on. They found us and directed us to the table to check our bottles but they were so busy we just kept walking.

We ended up buying two bottles of liquor in Costa Maya and were again stopped at the x-ray machine and directed to "the Table". Fortunately the people in front of us had a water bottle in their backpack and the inspector got distracted so we again walked right past with our purchases. We didn't open any of these bottles in our cabin as they were Christmas presents but I would say that trying to pack these three bottles in my luggage either after we collected our suitcases or at the airport would have been a royal pain in the A:p:confused:! It took me 15-20 minutes trying to figure out which bottle could go in which suitcase without going over the 50 pound limit. So yes, it can be a big deal to just put the bottle in your freakin suitcase the next day!

I will say that because of their policies we did purchase the wine package instead of smuggling a bottle on board. We found that you can go up to the Windjammer at 5:00 or whenever they open for dinner and pick up your bottle to take back to your room. They even gave us wine or champagne glasses and opened the bottle if we wanted. We did have an extra bottle left over (it was only a 5 night cruise) which I also had to pack into my suitcases with the other 3 bottles of liquor. So we paid a premium price for some cheaper wines but at least we had something to sip in our cabin while we were dressing for dinner!

If it took you twenty minutes to pack a bottle of liquor then I would suggest you buy your liquor closer to home.

We bring a luggage scale so we can weigh our bags. They are very inexpensive and can be found at luggage stores, Walmart, Target and many other stores. A pint of liquor weighs a pound so before you buy that bottle in port, make sure you actually have room for it. Allow a few pounds for the glass bottle also. If you checked luggage weighing almost 50 pounds prior to your cruise, it will still weigh the same after your cruise so you should probably not buy anything heavy unless you have frequent flyer status or are flying first class.

Really not too difficult to figure out.

If it took you twenty minutes to pack a bottle of liquor then I would suggest you buy your liquor closer to home.

We bring a luggage scale so we can weigh our bags. They are very inexpensive and can be found at luggage stores, Walmart, Target and many other stores. A pint of liquor weighs a pound so before you buy that bottle in port, make sure you actually have room for it. Allow a few pounds for the glass bottle also. If you checked luggage weighing almost 50 pounds prior to your cruise, it will still weigh the same after your cruise so you should probably not buy anything heavy unless you have frequent flyer status or are flying first class.

Really not too difficult to figure out.

Everyone packs differently, and you don't know how many other things they purchased. I prefer to make certain that my bags are packed the night before...that's my preference...that way, I'm not rushed and my items packed neatly so as not to be destroyed.

Not that simple really... we had to split up the 5 bottles into different suit cases so they had to be re-packed carefully on the last cruise. Otherwise we would have been over our weight limits on the luggage.

Also, what happens if you were going to use the luggage delivery program?

I agree with you totally. We split 6 bottles between 3 suitcases and also had to juggle things so we didn't go over the 50 lb limit. Not to mention that I made sure all the liquor was securely packed and cushioned between clothes to avoid breakage. Can't imagine having to do this while trying to disembark :eek: It's not a simple thing at all - unless maybe you only have 1 bottle :rolleyes:

Just off the Monarch and found out that RCCL has again changed the alcohol purchase policy in their quest to get a few more $$ out of cruisers.

They are no longer delivering purchases to staterooms on the last day of the cruise. They are now requiring passengers to pick up their purchases between 7 and 9 am on their way off the ship.

This policy also applies to purchases that were made at a port and held when returning to the ship and to purchases made late the last day when you used to be able to just take it back with you.

The pickup point for port purchases was in one place (I think the theater) and the pickup point for onboard purchases was at the store.

After finding out about this change we opted to skip the purchase because it is too much of a hassle to go and retrieve the purchases in the morning and I like to have it packed in my suitcase the night before.

We need to send a message to RCCL that this is unacceptable. I am urging anyone who normally purchases alcohol at the ship's duty free to skip that and instead purchase the alcohol at one of the ports. You will still have to go through the hassle of picking up your purchases, but at least RCCL will not be benefiting from your purchases.

Other ships still deliver it on the last day or they even let you purchase it and take it with you on the last day, but I have never ever even opened up a bottle the last day anyway, so it doesn't affect me.

Please do boycott' date=' as a matter of fact boycott RCL and sail with another line![/quote']

Brain brain, what is brain?:D

Royal tried this already, and then reverted back to delivering it or having guests take it to the cabin on the last day before we arrive at port. I myself won't buy the liquor if we are required to pick it up as we are leaving the ship, that is way to much hassle to save a few bucks. There is enough to do right before disembarking without thinking about picking up liquor.

Archived