The Rome Less Visited.....review

cruisemom42

Cynthia, just read your recent review and enjoyed it immensely.

Sorry to hear your day in Chania was a disappointment. We too were recently there (Nov 9th) and had a wonderful day. We had booked a private tour with Leftheris (aka Lefty) and he was superb. He truly loves his island and showing it to tourists. His knowledge blew us away. We saw and did alot but it did not feel rushed. He will customize to your desires.

As a side note: he took us to a wonderful Minoan ampitheater and we were the only ones there. Can't recall the name but near an ancient Roman bath. Mike loved it !

Would have loved to get to Knossos but too far for our time in port since we didnt dock until 10 am. Next time !!! :D

Anyway, keep him in mind if you get back there. He will not disappoint !

Cheryl

Cynthia, just read your recent review and enjoyed it immensely.

Sorry to hear your day in Chania was a disappointment. We too were recently there (Nov 9th) and had a wonderful day. We had booked a private tour with Leftheris (aka Lefty) and he was superb. He truly loves his island and showing it to tourists. His knowledge blew us away. We saw and did alot but it did not feel rushed. He will customize to your desires.

As a side note: he took us to a wonderful Minoan ampitheater and we were the only ones there. Can't recall the name but near an ancient Roman bath. Mike loved it !

Would have loved to get to Knossos but too far for our time in port since we didnt dock until 10 am. Next time !!! :D

Anyway, keep him in mind if you get back there. He will not disappoint !

Cheryl

I think the real problem was that we were just too rushed to enjoy anything. If I go back to Souda, I'd definitely head to Rethimnon, which looked nicer than Chania. (And of course I'd research those ruins you mention.....!)

Interestingly, we had a Leftheris/"Lefty" as a guide at Lindos on Rhodes. He was a great guide (and very easy on the eyes....;)).

I think the real problem was that we were just too rushed to enjoy anything. If I go back to Souda, I'd definitely head to Rethimnon, which looked nicer than Chania. (And of course I'd research those ruins you mention.....!)

Interestingly, we had a Leftheris/"Lefty" as a guide at Lindos on Rhodes. He was a great guide (and very easy on the eyes....;)).

Cynthia, was just looking thru some of our pictures (we took @ 2000 !) and came across one that Mike took of the sign at the amphitheater ....... it was Aptera. It is not too far from Chania and the day we were there we were the only ones there ! The amphitheater is a short walk back from the parking area. The Roman baths are near the newer area where there is a small church and some other buildings. Very cool area.

• 2 weeks later...
I know you're kidding, but I sort of wonder about that with some restaurants because once too many tourists frequent them they change. It's especially a problem if Rick Steves recommends something. However, other than expanding the size of the restaurant a few years ago, all the mentions of Taverna dei Fori Imperiali haven't seemed to change the place.

I see the restaurant is mentioned in a new article on restaurants in Rome in Conde Nast Traveler. I hope this doesn't change the place!! :( Just as I said earlier, the author recommends going for the specials of the day.

... The entrance to the Domus, which is located somewhat confusingly off the courtyard of the building (to the left), seemed suspiciously quiet. There were two people at the desk when I approached and after much rapid Italian between the two of them, I was told that the exhibit was closed -- no tours today. There was some unexplainable event that had occurred to close it and it wouldn't be open until perhaps Monday (this was Saturday). Of course they could not offer me a refund as I'd booked the tour online -- well, this is Italy. ;) I couldn't come back on Monday as I'd already made plans to be at Villa Adriana outside Rome. I suppose it gives me (another) reason to come back again.

Hi Cynthia

Wonderful review and pictures...thanks for posting. By concidence, I was in Rome a few days after you and I actually covered some of the same less-well-known places as you (I did a bike ride down the Via Appia Antica to the Acqueduct Park instead of Hadian's Villa - but based on your photos and local transport suggestions I will aim for that one next time). I also recommend the "City Secrets - Rome" guidebook that was mentioned here and also "Quiet Corners of Rome" by David Downie for more out-of-the way places in Rome. I did make it to the Domus Romane for the 1 pm English tour. It's a really interesting site and the presentation is really well done as a kind of multimedia "sound and light" show. Certainly worth including in your next trip to Rome. ;)

-Phil

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the great information. I think I will "stalk" your other threads to see what i can learn lol. I am going solo to Venice for 2 days and then Rome for 4 and this information will help me decide what I want to do.

Cynthia:

I will be reading your ship review as I am very intrigued by the itineraries and lecturers. Your reviews and pictures are wonderful and some of the most enjoyable that I have ever read and seen on CC. Thanks so much for your commitment to getting the word out to other avid travelers!

Also on my agenda for Saturday was a self-guided walk around the sights of the ancient Roman Forum Boarium/Forum Holitorium area. This is the part of Rome along the bank of the Tiber from just south of Largo Argentina, near the old Ghetto, down to and around the piazza where the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin is located (i.e., the church with the Bocca della Verita in the portico). This is a very pleasant half-day's walk (of course you can do it faster but I like to linger). If anyone is interested in my notes on doing this walk, let me know and I'd be happy to email them to you.

cruisemom42 - I would love to have your notes on the self-guilded walking tour. You are such a wealth of information. Thank you so much for helping everyone here. My email address is susanmeeks55 at sbcglobal dot net. Thanks again for taking the time to post all the info.

cruisemom42 - I would love to have your notes on the self-guilded walking tour. You are such a wealth of information. Thank you so much for helping everyone here. My email address is susanmeeks55 at sbcglobal dot net. Thanks again for taking the time to post all the info.

Sent it; hope you got it!

If anyone is interested in my notes on doing this walk, let me know and I'd be happy to email them to you.

cruisemom42,

Please add me to the long list of appreciative CC members who benefit from your experience and thoughtful answers.

I would love a copy of your notes.

My email is bobalinkcruises at gmail dot com

Thanks a bunch!

cruisemom42,

Please add me to the long list of appreciative CC members who benefit from your experience and thoughtful answers.

I would love a copy of your notes.

My email is bobalinkcruises at gmail dot com

Thanks a bunch!

Sent! :D

Sent it; hope you got it!

I did not receive it. If you would not mind trying to send it one more time I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, can you please tell me the best place to prepurchase tickets to all the main attractions.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cruisemom-

I would love those notes as well. Please send it to mkain at k-vlaw dot com.

I was also wondering if you have used the Roma Pass and, if so, would you recommend it? I want to reserve the Galleria Borghese online but I read somewhere that you cannot use the pass if you reserve online. Any info or input would be most appreciated. Thanks for all of your invaluable information on these boards.

• 1 year later...

"Also on my agenda for Saturday was a self-guided walk around the sights of the ancient Roman Forum Boarium/Forum Holitorium area. This is the part of Rome along the bank of the Tiber from just south of Largo Argentina, near the old Ghetto, down to and around the piazza where the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin is located (i.e., the church with the Bocca della Verita in the portico). This is a very pleasant half-day's walk (of course you can do it faster but I like to linger). If anyone is interested in my notes on doing this walk, let me know and I'd be happy to email them to you."Cruisemom42,

I have just found this amazing thread. We will be in Rome at the beginning of October and would love to do your self guided walk as this will be our 4th or 5th visit to this amazing and wonderful city. Would you mind sending me your notes. My email is jennielynton at hotmail dot com. I see that your weather just required a light jacket over a long sleeve t. shirt. Did it get warm enough later on to wear short sleeves? Thanks.

Jennie

"Also on my agenda for Saturday was a self-guided walk around the sights of the ancient Roman Forum Boarium/Forum Holitorium area. This is the part of Rome along the bank of the Tiber from just south of Largo Argentina, near the old Ghetto, down to and around the piazza where the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin is located (i.e., the church with the Bocca della Verita in the portico). This is a very pleasant half-day's walk (of course you can do it faster but I like to linger). If anyone is interested in my notes on doing this walk, let me know and I'd be happy to email them to you."Cruisemom42,

I have just found this amazing thread. We will be in Rome at the beginning of October and would love to do your self guided walk as this will be our 4th or 5th visit to this amazing and wonderful city. Would you mind sending me your notes. My email is jennielynton at hotmail dot com. I see that your weather just required a light jacket over a long sleeve t. shirt. Did it get warm enough later on to wear short sleeves? Thanks.

Jennie

Hi Jennie, I saw your request on the other thread and sent the notes to you -- hope you got them.

The weather was pretty warm on that trip. I think I wore t-shirts that were 3/4 sleeve but probably would have been fine in short sleeves also.

I don't know how I ever missed this thread! It's fantastic. It does show why some of us love this style of traveling vs the excursion/tour. Sure, it can have it's hiccups (like some spots you planned but couldn't do), but that's part of the allure of doing things this way; no reason to get upset about missing something because 1) there's always something else to see/do and 2) gives a reason to come back yet again. Some people get to tied up into hitting all the "big" sites they miss all those hidden gems that can end up more interesting. It's too funny about you and EUC being at the same restaurant at the same time! My next trip to Rome (hopefully in 2 years) will have to include La Pigna. And, I'll have to plan a day outside Rome to Hadrian's Villa!!!

Cruisemom-

I would love those notes as well. Please send it to mkain at k-vlaw dot com.

I was also wondering if you have used the Roma Pass and, if so, would you recommend it? I want to reserve the Galleria Borghese online but I read somewhere that you cannot use the pass if you reserve online. Any info or input would be most appreciated. Thanks for all of your invaluable information on these boards.

If you happen to be in rome sept 28, I just booked my borghese tickets on that date and they were free! Only had to pay sevice charges of 2euro each.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived