12/3 Constellation Boarding Delay

Bobed1927

Just received a call from my TA to advise me that boarding on the 12/3 Constellation will be delayed until at least 1:30 PM. I think she said a customs matter but I may be wrong about the reason because I didn't listen carefully after she told me that it would be delayed. Not very interested in why-only where to get lunch. When they finally start boarding the ship it will be like a cattle rush. Maybe sleep in and then pig out at the breakfast buffet in the hotel. Staying at the Airport Hilton, they always have a nice buffet and not too expensive

I wonder if all those people who posted that they never use a TA got this info.

Just received a call from my TA to advise me that boarding on the 12/3 Constellation will be delayed until at least 1:30 PM. I think she said a customs matter but I may be wrong about the reason because I didn't listen carefully after she told me that it would be delayed. Not very interested in why-only where to get lunch. When they finally start boarding the ship it will be like a cattle rush. Maybe sleep in and then pig out at the breakfast buffet in the hotel. Staying at the Airport Hilton, they always have a nice buffet and not too expensive

I booked directly with Celebrity and did not get notified of this delay (but I sure get lots of email from them for other reasons). When I first heard about this delay on these boards, I called Celebrity to inquire. They first asked me to call back until they had "official" information. Called back later today and was told the delay was due to Coast Guard check. I asked about possible norovirus on Constellation (also heard that on these boards), and the rep didn't know about that, but said if true that would cause more delay.

So a delay appears likely for one reason or another (or both).

Isn't that the first cruise after the TA? It's fairly typical that the post TA cruise is delayed because it takes longer to clear the ship on arrival. All crew must go through immigration, lots of forms to fill out.

Yes, the Connie will be returning from Europe. We went through the same thing last year when she returned from Europe. Slight inconvenience, but no biggie in the larger scheme of things. We'll all get on board eventually.

CollierCruiser and Bobed1927, I'm curious as to why you haven't joined the roll call for this cruise. We have lots of fun activities planned.

The Constellation is currently on her Transatlantic Repositioning cruise after having been in Europe since last spring. So when she docks on Dec 3 it will be her first docking in the USA the winter Caribbean sailing season.

It is very common for there to be significant delays in clearing the ship for the next embarkation following a TA and I believe all the crew have to pass customs & immigration (something they otherwise only have to do if they disembark) and there are usually some initial inspections which take time as well.

It is nice that they are notifying passengers of the likely delay rather than letting them find out the hard way.

Hi Everyone,

I'm on this sailing as well. I'm not surprised, as the first sailing after a Transatlantic crossing is very difficult for the Ship's Officers and Crew. As others have noted, they will likely have various inspections, which is the likely reason for the delay.

Interesting that I've heard nothing from Celebrity, but I read it on our Roll Call earlier today - the things we learn on Cruise Critic :). Also, Linda (Happy Cruiser6143) was very kind to email me. Thanks Linda !.

My primary concern is not boarding Constellation, but I had planned to attend the Infinty reveal the same afternoon. With this change of plans, I do not see how I can be in 2 places at the same time - but I will try to visit Infinty if at all possible.

At any rate, I'm sure it will be a bit nerve wracking, but I'm sure we will have a great Cruise.

Yes, the CollierCruiser and Bobed1927, I'm curious as to why you haven't joined the roll call for this cruise. We have lots of fun activities planned.

Would you believe I've been asked by the captain to steer the ship to Aruba?? :)

OK... not it. But we'll be looking for all of those we've been following on these boards!

...I do not see how I can be in 2 places at the same time - but I will try to visit Infinty if at all possible...

I'm just curious if they still start the check-in process on time under these circumstances or if they don't start until they are ready for boarding?

If they do you might be able to get all checked into the Connie early, even if you can't board, and still be able to make your Infinity visit.

I know they did that once when we had a delayed boarding due to a noro sanitization in Barcelona a few years back. It was nice getting checked in and dropping our luggage and then we headed back to town for lunch and returned mid afternoon and could just walk onto the ship. Of course that was a different port and different circumstance but it might be worth it to you to check it out.

I hope everyone has a great cruise! We did a similar 14 night itinerary on the Connie last March and it made a really great cruise!

I'm just curious if they still start the check-in process on time under these circumstances or if they don't start until they are ready for boarding?

If they do you might be able to get all checked into the Connie early, even if you can't board, and still be able to make your Infinity visit.

I know they did that once when we had a delayed boarding due to a noro sanitization in Barcelona a few years back. It was nice getting checked in and dropping our luggage and then we headed back to town for lunch and returned mid afternoon and could just walk onto the ship. Of course that was a different port and different circumstance but it might be worth it to you to check it out.

I hope everyone has a great cruise! We did a similar 14 night itinerary on the Connie last March and it made a really great cruise!

The only problem with that scenario is what do you do with your carryon? I'm not about to entrust that to the tender mercies of the stevadores. I need my computer and my cameras! And my portable hard drive, etc. It would be nice if they were to have some sort of facility to check our carryon bags at pier 25 where the Infinity will be, but I doubt that they will. So we are mulling over various solutions.

Also, the message we received from Celebrity said pretty much don't show up prior to 1:30 p.m., so it doesn't sound like they're planning on any early check in.

All bright ideas are welcome! If anyone knows for sure that there would be some facility available either at pier 29 where the Connie will be or at pier 25 to temporarily check carryon luggage, we'd be grateful to hear about it. Thanks!

Good point. We were on Freedom of the Seas a few years ago and they did check us in, but were delaying the boarding process. It did get crowded in the terminal area though.

Hope Andy gets to see Infinity too!

Hope Andy gets to see Infinity too!

Thank you shipshape sam. I'm totally looking forward to the Infinity visit, and I'm hoping for the best. It will all depend on the situation at Pier 29, where Constellation will be berthed. To make matters worse, I've heard there is no seating at this terminal (I'm hoping this is incorrect), which will only make it tougher for us, as I am sailing with elderly Parents, and I always worry about their comfort.

I always try to make lemonade out of lemons, and I'm willing to roll with whatever comes our way. Let's hope it will all work out :)

Sorry to tell you, but I received an email last night from friends on this ship now, “We are onboard the Connie. Have been code red for the whole trip. Not much evidence of people being sick, just all the sanitation precautions are in place. Long lines…”

Isn't that the first cruise after the TA? It's fairly typical that the post TA cruise is delayed because it takes longer to clear the ship on arrival. All crew must go through immigration, lots of forms to fill out.

Absolutely correct !

Cheers

Hi Everyone,

I'm on this sailing as well. I'm not surprised, as the first sailing after a Transatlantic crossing is very difficult for the Ship's Officers and Crew. As others have noted, they will likely have various inspections, which is the likely reason for the delay.

Interesting that I've heard nothing from Celebrity, but I read it on our Roll Call earlier today - the things we learn on Cruise Critic :). Also, Linda (Happy Cruiser6143) was very kind to email me. Thanks Linda !.

My primary concern is not boarding Constellation, but I had planned to attend the Infinty reveal the same afternoon. With this change of plans, I do not see how I can be in 2 places at the same time - but I will try to visit Infinty if at all possible.

At any rate, I'm sure it will be a bit nerve wracking, but I'm sure we will have a great Cruise.

Hi Andy

That ''delay'' does not come as a surprise., and not only due to a proactive decision-malking as she arrives home from a TA.

With the Infinity's open house for the industry, you can easily figure out the personnel requirement to service that function, with the number of visitors expected on board Infinity....it's a near 100% sure bet some of that personnel will be from Connie, lending a hand for a couple of hours; likewise, the overall RCCL's shore-side personnel deployment will be a bit disjointed that day, with their behemoth in port as well as Navigator OTS if I'm not mistaken, and the 2 Celebrity ships,one of which having a massive industry ship-visit.

It's sound decision making from ==X== to send a realistic message to all concernd that their ships, both of them, will be ''delayed'' along the way.

It'll be a zoo...for sure.

Your brains will be picked to death with queries upon your getting off Infinity !!!!!

Cheers

Claude

Hi Andy

That ''delay'' does not come as a surprise., and not only due to a proactive decision-malking as she arrives home from a TA.

With the Infinity's open house for the industry, you can easily figure out the personnel requirement to service that function, with the number of visitors expected on board Infinity....it's a near 100% sure bet some of that personnel will be from Connie, lending a hand for a couple of hours; likewise, the overall RCCL's shore-side personnel deployment will be a bit disjointed that day, with their behemoth in port as well as Navigator OTS if I'm not mistaken, and the 2 Celebrity ships,one of which having a massive industry ship-visit.

It's sound decision making from ==X== to send a realistic message to all concernd that their ships, both of them, will be ''delayed'' along the way.

It'll be a zoo...for sure.

Your brains will be picked to death with queries upon your getting off Infinity !!!!!

Cheers

Claude

Hi Claude,

Yes, I'm not surprised at all, and I'm sure it's going to be a hectic day for all Guests and Crew of Infinity and Constellation.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I'm sailing on Constellation tomorrow. Due to the unknowns as to what's ahead at Port Everglades in the morning - I may not be able to attend the Infinity ship visit. I'm traveling with my Parents (who are in their 80's), and I must make certain they are safely onboard Constellation before I head over to Infinity. Then, I have to be sure to return to Constellation before she departs. It seems the timing may not work, but anything is possible. I'm still hoping to attend the Infinity event, but I'm going to need some luck on my side !

I truly hope our Cruise Critic community will understand my situation and accept my apologies, if I'm unable to attend the Infinity preview. Not to worry... I'm sure other Cruise Critic members will report from Infinity.

Of course we will Andy even though we are so keen to see an aft aqua picture the comfort of your dear parents must come first. I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise on Constellation

Archived