EWR to Bayonne

Kerrupt

So here is the story.

We are cruising the Explorer on Jan 16 2012. We are flying in on the 15th of Jan thru Calgary arriving at 7PM. This is a Sunday.

I would like to get a hotel that is fairly close to the airport as we will have had a long travel day (13hrs?). Basically I would like a reasonably nice hotel (3 Star at the very least) that either has a restaurant (open til 10PM?) in or very near....walking distance. A shuttle service to the hotel would be nice but is not critical. Price is less of an objection than quality. It would also be very nice if there was a convenience store or drug store within walking distance so that we can pick up some last minute toiletries that are a pain to pack for air travel...before traveling to the port in the morning.

I know that I could probably find this info on the New and Improved thread but the number of pages are very cumbersome to sort through to find the specific info I hope to find.

Any help and feedback would be most welcome.

Thank you

Newark Airport is not a vacation destination. It's located in a highly urban industrialized area. You are not going to find convenience or drug stores nearby and there are few restaurants that you can walk to. Based on your criteria my suggestions would be:

1) Marriott Newark Airport (3.5*) - $159 + tax on Expedia (shuttle)

2) Hilton Newark Penn Station (3.5*-4*) - $127 + tax on Kayak (shuttle)

3) 4* hotel on Hotwire in Hoboken/Jersey City - $107 + tax (no shuttle)

I would suggest that you seriously consider the 4* Hotwire hotel which is likely to be the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City, but could also be the Westin or the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weekawken. This hotel appears often on Hotwire and we recommend it whenever it is there. Folks who have made this selection have always been very satisfied. All these hotels have spectacular views of NYC from the property and they are located in areas that are more likely to have a nearby convenience or drug store. Even when you add the cost of transportation ($50-60), it is still a competitive choice.

One thing you should know about Newark Airport is that the hotel shuttles leave from the P4 monorail station. In order to pick up these shuttles, you must get your luggage from the ground level up to the monorail station (escalators and elevators), ride to P4 on the monorail, and get your luggage to the shuttle waiting area. After a 13 hour trip, this could be a real PITA.

your best bet would be a full service hotel near the airport..such as the Marriott as 138 mentioned...or the renaissance....

however, none are near any convenience store.....

as for getting to the pier, you'll need a cab or car service....should be in the 50-60 range...

i use

http://www.blackexecutivecars.com

also, based at the Newark Airport Marriott is signature transportation...(sorry, i don't have their number..)..you could call the hotel and ask for them...(or the bellstand-who should have the number...)

if you use a car service, you could ask them to stop at the Stop n Shop that is in a shopping center adjacent to the entrance to the pier (but NOT walkable...it is about 2 miles-that's the length of the road into the pier area and it is not paved save for a couple hundred feet near the apartments..)

One thing you should know about Newark Airport is that the hotel shuttles leave from the P4 monorail station.... After a 13 hour trip, this could be a real PITA.

Yes, this added at least 30 more minutes to our experience, you're quite right. I can confirm this. A cab would be faster, just to mention.

Country Inns and Suites in Elizabeth was very nice, close to EWR, priced right. There was a diner and a Ruby Tuesday's within walking distance. I don't know how the area has changed; this was a few years ago, but it absolutely suited our needs. Not sure about a convenience store nearby, though.

Thanks for confirming that Karen. By the time you fuss with your luggage and the monorail, you can be in Jersey City staying at a 4* hotel with views of NYC instead of yet another airport hotel. The $107 deal is fantastic for any of the 4* hotels in that area on Hotwire.

Country Inns is still a nice place to stay - I was there last Nov for 2 nights. There is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP next door, but no convenience stores (we get this question all the time). However, the OP seems to be looking for a more upscale experience and the Jersey City hotels would provide that.

Thank you for the information 138east. Can a person tell generally what hotel they are going to get? Hotwire is only showing one 4 star hotel in Hoboken right now. What one is it likely to be? It looks like it would be a great deal as it states it will save me $100. Just curious really as I have never booked through Hotwire and naturally I am a little apprehensive on my first try.

Aw heck.....maybe I should just give it a go and see what I get. What's the worst that can happen?

Next question. How far in advance should I be booking car service from the hotel to the port?

"I would suggest that you seriously consider the 4* Hotwire hotel which is likely to be the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson in Jersey City, but could also be the Westin or the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weekawken. "

That's your answer about which hotel. The only other 4* hotel in that area is the "W" in Hoboken, but it shows with the tennis amenity. Does it really matter? I think you would be happy at any of these hotels for a pre-cruise overnight stay. All of them will be a cut above anything at Newark Airport.

Went the Hotwire route. Got a room for $109 (Canadian) and we were awarded the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour. It seems this is the closest really if we want to make a quick trip into NYC so that is great. Their website says they are only 1 mile away from Times Square. It also says we can catch a bus right out front that would take us into NYC.

Is it feasible to make a early morning jaunt before we check out Monday morning and head for the port? Not so much for Times Square but rather DW would like to go to Macy's/ shopping.

It would be possible, but.... You'd have to check the time Macy's opens on your date - I'm guessing 10 am, but maybe earlier. I'd plan to be there when the store opens. You'd also have to print out the bus schedule back to Weehawken. You'd have to leave NYC by about noon to get back to Weehawken, pick up your luggage, and get to the port. You must check in at least 90 minutes before and you don't want to cut it close - they will not you board if you're late.

Went the Hotwire route. Got a room for $109 (Canadian) and we were awarded the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour. It seems this is the closest really if we want to make a quick trip into NYC so that is great. Their website says they are only 1 mile away from Times Square. It also says we can catch a bus right out front that would take us into NYC.

Is it feasible to make a early morning jaunt before we check out Monday morning and head for the port? Not so much for Times Square but rather DW would like to go to Macy's/ shopping.

You will also have to count on rush hour traffic on a Monday morning - it might take you about 45 minutes to to into the city.

Archived