looking to get a bridge tour, need help

cabana

Some posters have claimed success by writing a personal note to the Captain after boarding, with delivery via the Purser's Office.

Elite status passengers are sometimes invited to the bridge, as one of the perks of their status.

Some posters have claimed success by writing a personal note to the Captain after boarding, with delivery via the Purser's Office.

We were on the Caribbean Princess 3/26-4/2 and my sister-in-law was successfull in being invited for a bridge tour doing what Duke I recommended.

We also were gifted with a tour of the Bridge in Jan. on the Golden by writing a nice letter to Captain David Calabrese and dropping it off at the Purser's desk on the first day of the cruise. I also prepared a Thank You note just in case we were lucky - I was glad I did because about the third day of the cruise we all received invitations to the Bridge in our mailboxes. We were to meet at a certain spot and an officer met us there and led us up. The tour lasted about an hour - it was cool because we could ask any questions we wanted and take pictures - got a picture in the captain's chair. If you are lucky enough to get a tour they don't like you to advertise it to others on the ship.

Good Luck!

Kaye

We also were gifted with a tour of the Bridge in Jan. on the Golden by writing a nice letter to Captain David Calabrese and dropping it off at the Purser's desk on the first day of the cruise. I also prepared a Thank You note just in case we were lucky - I was glad I did because about the third day of the cruise we all received invitations to the Bridge in our mailboxes. We were to meet at a certain spot and an officer met us there and led us up. The tour lasted about an hour - it was cool because we could ask any questions we wanted and take pictures - got a picture in the captain's chair. If you are lucky enough to get a tour they don't like you to advertise it to others on the ship.

Good Luck!

Kaye

We also did the same thing as Kaye except it was on the Coral last year. We presented a letter to the Purser's office address to the Captain. We did not know his name so just put The Captain. In a few days we received an invitation and also as Kaye said we toured the bridge. My DH even sat in the Captain's chair and I took a picture. Boy he thought he was something.:D It was very entertaining.

Marilyn

Marilyn -

It was cool wasn't it? We also found it entertaining as well as very informative.

An afterthought - don't forget to put your names and cabin numbers in your letter so they know where to to deliver the invitation to. The invitation and the handout on the Bridge in themselves are vacation mementos to be saved.

Kaye

Thanks so much for the info. It would be nice to get invited. About how many folks were in your tour party's?

There were roughly between 20-25 of us. We were grouped with people who were celebrating wedding anniversaries.

Marilyn

Isn't it exciting being on the bridge? Have been several times, most recently last May on the Royal Princess (sea day) as I was one of the top 3 most travelled.

Also been on the bridge of the Mercury as we were leaving Puerto Montt, Chile and the Millennium as we were leaving Naples, Italy.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the name of the Master of the Coral Princess?

Realize it's a long way off but there's a group of 20 of us CC types doing the Transcanal in May 06 and it would be a nice touch especially on a day at sea.

Many of the lines do it while ships are in port which conflicts with valuable shore time.

If you respond you can do so here or our thread titled "Coral Princess 03 May 06".

Thanks in advance, and...

Ciao for now!!!

I've said it before.......;) and I'll say it again, If you want to see the Captain's bridge, tell him you are a dentist.

Chuck, go to your room.:D :D

Marilyn

We wrote a letter to the Captain too, asking for a tour of the bridge. (Caribbean Princess, 1/22/05.) We left the letter at the purser's desk on day 2 of the cruise. The young lady that took our letter said they didn't give bridge tours but she'd forward the letter on anyway. We weren't optimistic about being invited for a bridge tour.

Two days later we returned to our room in the late afternoon and had a voice message saying our request had been approved and to watch the mailbox outside our door for the official invitation.

We went to the designated meeting spot and there were two couples already waiting. A minute later a security guy shows up, checks our names and says we're waiting for one more couple. After a few more minutes he figures the other couple isn't coming and he takes us on up to the bridge.

There were two officers on duty, plus a seaman. The senior officer described everything and answered all our questions. Then he let us wander around looking at everything and taking pictures. The seaman loaned me his binoculars for a minute when we came in sight of another cruise ship headed in the opposite direction. All in all we were on the bridge for almost an hour.

My oldest daughter wrote a letter telling the Comodore on the Star Princess that we had sailed on the Star before when he was the Captain and ask if she could get a tour of the bridge so she could write about it for school. She dropped off the letter at the Purser's desk and on the last day at sea we had cards in our mailboxes telling us what time and where to go for a bridge tour.

It was just the 4 of us and the girls got their pictures taken with the female captain hats. It's something they will never forget.

We were on a 10-day Caribbean cruise last October on the Dawn Princess. I sent a request to the Captain through the Purser’s Desk on a matter totally unrelated to a tour of the bridge. The Captain granted our request and I sent him another letter thanking him.

The next day, my wife and I received a personal letter inviting us to tour the bridge on a sea day, even though we had not asked for a tour. I asked the Purser’s Desk if we could bring our four young adult children and a quick phone call obtained approval for them.

During the tour, I saw a schedule of bridge tours posted on the wall. There were three tours each sea day with about 10-15 people each. From our experience and in talking to others who have taken the bridge tour, it's unlikely that the Captain will be there during the tour.

Jim

My Mom, sister and I were on the Grand in 2003 for our first cruise in many years. We met the captain for the first time when we were playing cards (dressed in bathing suit covers!) in what ended up being the area of the captains cocktail party on the first formal night. We just thought the officers were really nice on this ship, coming up and introducing themselves and offering us drinks and appetizers from the waiters walking past. When Captain Romano came over and started talking to us I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized what was going on and we escaped immediately. We were hoping that since we were on a ship with 2000+ people (and once we got cleaned up), the captain wouldn't remember us. No such luck, he saw us waiting in line for pictures and came over and asked about the card game. We were embarrassed, but still laugh about being the clueless, trashy woman!

The next day we came back to the ship after our morning excursion and wanted dry beach towels for our afternoon outing. Our steward was off and the ship was relatively deserted, so we decided to try and find where the linens were stored by snooping in various doors/closets out in the hallway. You can probably guess who caught us and got towels for us himself!

We also hung out playing cards in the captains favorite bar most happy hours and late evening. I figured we had already embarrased ourselves a couple times, so why not ask about a bridge tour as well. He had an invitation sent to our room the next day and we had an awesome time. We tried on all the hats, sat in the captains chair and had more pictures taken with our great captain. We also learned a lot about the ship and what it takes to keep us all going from port to port.

I seem to remember reading the Captain Romano would be on the Caribbean Princess next. If he is, look for him in the Wheelhouse bar in the evening, buy him a drink and ask him about a bridge tour!

Julie

I plan on writing a letter asking for a tour of the Star bridge for our cruise 4/17/05. Does anyone know the name I should address it to???

We did not know the name of the Captain on the Coral last year so we addressed the envelope "The Captain" and we got a tour. Hopes this helps.

marilyn

I plan on writing a letter asking for a tour of the Star bridge for our cruise 4/17/05. Does anyone know the name I should address it to???

We were on the Star on March 27th and the Captain was actually Commodore Ditel. He's been on the Star for a while now. Also did the request, dropped it at the pursers desk on the 1st night. Didn't hear anything and figured no luck. Got the invite Friday for Saturday afternoon. The Commodore was not there but the officers who were were fantastic. You'll really enjoy it.

Joan

Archived