Transatlantic crossings

Essexlass2

We are curious to find out what some folks find so good about the Transatlantic crossing cruises. So many people seem to go for them but we have always been a little apprehensive about so many days at sea and maybe getting bored. Can you enlighten us please?

Whilst we absolutely love the Caribbean, we usually want to be 'out and about' although we never look forward to the overnight flight back to UK so it would be nice to fly out daytime (which we don't mind at all) and maybe return by sea to Southampton ........ but would we become bored, would we find the ship a little 'claustrophobic' as we can't get off?

What do other cruisers find so good about the transatlantic crossings?

I don't think anyone can answer thAt for you. I personally love the lack of pressure of a sea day with nowhere to go and nothing expected of me by anyone - but then I spend my days at home being pulled every which way by my job and then I hit home running with a young family so I'd love to remember what it's like to be bored... Some ppl however find sea days stressful and claustrophobic so wouldnt like it but my dream holiday is to fly to new york and sail back ..., alone! So maybe I'm not your average Joe...

We have done 3 Transatlantics in the last 13 months. 2 Westbound P&O and 1 Eastbound (Celebrity - Fort Lauderdale to Rome).

We love how the cruise feels like it's in parts: there's the life onboard part on lovely long sea days, then there's the excitement of reaching land and exploring. It's like 2 holidays in one, or 3 if you count looking forward to the first stop at Tenerife or Madeira. The sea days are never boring to me as I feel so relaxed and at peace with the sea.

The weather plays a big part and we have had 1 crossing with absolutely perfect weather last October; the other 2 have been mixed, with the last cruise last month being the poorest weather.

I prefer Westbound as you gain an hour extra on 5 days and you are sailing to the better weather, rather than sailing back to poorer weather and having 5 x 23 hour days as the March (?) crossing does.

The cruises are also generally cheaper therefore good value. The arrangements are excellent with the coach service from your airport where you fly back to or from. :)

We have done two eastbound crossings in March and each time the weather has been superb with calm seas. You stop at four Caribbean islands before setting off across the Atlantic. We have then had one stop in Tenerife and one in the Azores. Barbados is four hours behind GMT so only four time changes or maybe five if you cross the weekend when BST starts. Sailing east they usually change the time at noon.

Brian

Recently did the 6 days crossing on Ruby Princess, saw two ships between the Azores and Fort Lauderdale, but seas were good and loved the sea days, better on the big ships, more to do. Not boring for us. Nice rest after the hectic Greek Isles and Med Ports at the start of the 30 days from Rome to FL.

I have almost lost count of the number of transatlantic trips I have undertaken. Living in Scotland, I am used to unpredictable weather, that it does not bother me. I love watching the sea even when it is rough.

There is always find plenty to do during the day indoors even when it is sunny, especially dancing lessons, quizes, choir practice.

Prefer going west to east as there is the extra hours.

As previously stated the cost is less expensive than the usual trips.

Get yourself up onto the upper decks just before Dawn - in spite of whatever weather the day brings. . Stay up/out there (with the necessary number of cups of coffee/tea :) ) until after the sun has risen completely. There is no way that you can feel in any way "claustraphobic" there and then. Anybody who has not experienced a sunrise at sea - from dark to full daylight does not know what it is to be fully alive in this world of ours. :) Do it every day until your "boredom" goes away.

Barry

Get yourself up onto the upper decks just before Dawn - in spite of whatever weather the day brings. . Stay up/out there (with the necessary number of cups of coffee/tea :) ) until after the sun has risen completely. There is no way that you can feel in any way "claustraphobic" there and then. Anybody who has not experienced a sunrise at sea - from dark to full daylight does not know what it is to be fully alive in this world of ours. :) Do it every day until your "boredom" goes away.

Barry

I'll buy that!

Archived