Sugar free

kitty allen

Dh is diabetic. He wants to know if there will be sugar-free desserts on x.

There is a sugar-free dessert item [as well as sugar-free ice cream] every night in the Dining Room, there are always several sugar-free dessert items at the buffet, and there is always at least one flavor of sugar-free ice cream that is available throughout the day... In addition and upon request, the Dining Staff has always been very accommodating in providing fresh fruit--such as a bowl of berries [with some sugar-free ice cream]--after dinner...

• 2 weeks later...

To paraphrase Robert Heinlein, the science fiction author, "there is no such thing as a sugar free desert!" Actually, his quote was that there was no such thing as a free lunch. He even has the futuristic moon colony's motto as TNSTAAFL, which was an acronym for "There's no such thing as a free lunch!"

But back to your question, Celebrity's deserts, as with most commercial restaurants, are described as "NO SUGAR ADDED", meaning that only the sugar content of the ingredients are included, and any other sweetening added is NOT sugar. While this is good as it reduces the glycemic index of deserts, one still must be cognizant of the natural sugars that may be included in the desert due to the fruits and other natural sugars that are included in them.

That said, I have found that the "no sugar added" deserts are wonderful choices for those of us who need to reduce our intake of sugars and other carbs.

Look up the carb count of an 8 ounce glass of milk. It's the same as a slice of bread or a tablespoon of sugar. Avoiding sugar in ice cream or flour-based desserts lowers the carb count some, but it is by no means "free food".

The concept of "sugar" being the bad guy is not very modern. A very small portion of a regular dessert will probably do less damage to a Diabetic's blood glucose than a full serving of a "sugar free" dessert.

All carbohydrates effect blood glucose and any diabetic who doesn't understand this really should talk to their physician about taking a course.

I'm married to a Diabetic and I'm the daughter of one. I learned a long time ago that controlling this disease is more than avoiding table sugar and taking a pill.

Archived