So about that power strip...

jt_83

Is it strictly to add additional outlets, or is the existing outlet in some unreachable spot or something? I was thinking about just bringing an adapter that turns 1 outlet into 3 instead of a power strip or extension cord.

Some cruiselines will confiscate them. I brought a 6 foot extension cord that allowed extra stuff to be plugged in which was conficated in Ft. Lauderdale and others have run into this. so the adapter will be allowed, the power strip .. maybe. They claim they are fire hazards.

I'm bringing my laptop to copy pictures to and watch movies during our flight. Our phones and iPod charge off of it (although I don't see using the phones on the ship). Only other things I need to charge are a video camera and a digital camera (and really the battery could probably go all week on a fresh charge). So 3 outlets should cut it. Didn't plan on bringing a heating pad although I wouldn't be surprised if my wife tried to bring her hair straightener.

Some cruiselines will confiscate them. I brought a 6 foot extension cord that allowed extra stuff to be plugged in which was conficated in Ft. Lauderdale and others have run into this. so the adapter will be allowed, the power strip .. maybe. They claim they are fire hazards.

That's what the UL tag is for. However, there are people who don't know how to use them safely.... They load them up with many items that draw lots of power..... like 2 1800W hair dryers, and a coffee pot....

Depending on the ship/cabin, there's occasions when adapters like the one posted by Sherilyn won't fit because of obstructions close to the power point.

Same applies to adapters needed to convert to a different continent's power points.

So I always carry a power strip on a short cord (about 18") & not had a problem.

JB :)

Depending on the ship/cabin, there's occasions when adapters like the one posted by Sherilyn won't fit because of obstructions close to the power point.

Same applies to adapters needed to convert to a different continent's power points.

So I always carry a power strip on a short cord (about 18") & not had a problem.

I would think that it would fit one way or another, it can be rotated to 4 different positions.

I would think that it would fit one way or another, it can be rotated to 4 different positions.

Hi Sherilyn.

Didn't know that one could be rotated -so unlikely to be a problem.

But I was thinkin' of adapters in general - those I've seen/used fit one way only, though bear in mind my appliances need a 3-pin UK adapter.

Without a short extension lead for all the spagetti behind my computer I couldn't use it. ;)

JB :)

It also acts a surge protector. I use a Belkin travel adapter that just plugs straight into the wall, it has 3 AC outlets and 2 USB outlets on it to plug devices into. No cords attached to it.

FUL1_BZ103050-TVL.jpg

There would not be a single outlet on the Explorer of the Seas that you could plug that into. Every outlet in our room had some sort of protruding object that would not allow you to have that go flush against a wall.

I took a power strip, and could not even plug that in. Luckily I was prepared, and had a two prong to three prong plug that made it work.

That's what the UL tag is for. However, there are people who don't know how to use them safely.... They load them up with many items that draw lots of power..... like 2 1800W hair dryers, and a coffee pot....

Unfortunately, the cheap knockoff ones that come in from China and elsewhere will often have counterfeit UL tags on them also. If they get through the entry port they end up being sold through all sorts of retailers. A UL tag is child's play for some crook willing to use the wrong gauge wiring or shoddy workmanship.

From an MSNBC article:

" ;. . . . The danger with these copy cat electrical items isn’t obvious. In many cases they look just like the original. But because they are not made to the same standards and are not tested for safety, they might start a fire or electrocute someone.

Brenner has a growing collection of counterfeits purchased across the country: batteries, hair dryers, cell phone chargers, power strips and extension cords.

The extension cords usually have undersize wire and substandard insulation. Brenner showed me video of what can happen when one of these inferior extension cords is plugged in.

It’s pretty scary. The copper heated up so quickly it melted through the plastic insulation and caught fire.

“If there were any combustibles around that, it definitely would have caused a house fire,” Brenner says.

Agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection do their best to find the fakes before they make it to market. But they can only check a small number of the incoming shipments. Even so, they seized nearly $23 million worth of counterfeit electronics last year. That's up 43 percent from 2007. And from all indications this year will be even worse.

Bogus safety seals

Counterfeit electronics often have fake safety seals to make them look legitimate. In the U.S., that usually means a bogus UL mark. It makes you think the product meets Underwriters Laboratories strict safety standards, when in reality it has not been tested."

Since the cruise line staff doesn't have the expertise to tell the good from the bad with just a visual inspection they tend to want to play it safe and confiscate them all.

From an MSNBC article:

" ;. . . . The danger with these copy cat electrical items isn’t obvious. In many cases they look just like the original. But because they are not made to the same standards and are not tested for safety, they might start a fire or electrocute someone.

Brenner has a growing collection of counterfeits purchased across the country: batteries, hair dryers, cell phone chargers, power strips and extension cords.

The extension cords usually have undersize wire and substandard insulation. Brenner showed me video of what can happen when one of these inferior extension cords is plugged in.

It’s pretty scary. The copper heated up so quickly it melted through the plastic insulation and caught fire.

Completely off topic, but this totally reminded me of some really cheap jumper cables my uncle bought me. On the first use, they smoked and burned the plastic off! :eek:

ok so say....for example...if i have

(1) powerstrip.JPG

or

(2) 19336.jpg

or even something like this

(3) American_Power_Cord_3_prong_3_way.jpg

I'd rather bring (2) as it's more durable and yet although it will be able to handle my netbook, phone charger and battery charger for my phone, will it be confiscated if it's in my handcarry backpack or in my bag that is handled by the 'porters"?

Thanks!

Archived