5 Pieces of Luggage and Counting...Should I Purge?

Dinkachu

We are traveling with a group of 12 - 8 staterooms, 6 with balconies. We are in a meet and mingle door decorating contest. So, I'll decorate 4 boardwalk and 1 2 ocean view balconies. Plus the 8 doors and the rooms. And, I bring decorations for the scooter too.

You're hanging Christmas decorations off the balconies???

I was wondering the same thing. Is that even allowed given wind issues?

That said, as to the original topic, not so much perhaps purge as compress? To me, weight is not so much of an issue as to where to store the suitcases once empty!

I use ebags packing cubes (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/packing-cubes-3pc-set/13032) and can fit almost totally what used to take 2 suitcases into one (albeit a HEAVY one)

WE don't hang them off of the balconies - but we do decorate the balconies. Window clings on the sliding doors, battery operated light up garlands of poinsettias on the inside of the balcony rail (held on with twist ties), and some fun things like a blow up waving penguin held to a chair with bungee cords. I'll post pictures after our cruise.

I'd be more concerned about where I was going to put it all in that tiny closet in the cabin.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

We take 1 bag each and share a garment bag for our formal clothes. And that includes 2 complete sets of scuba gear (minus tanks and weights of course). Walking through our cabin is like walking through a maze so I cannot imagine where someone would store 5 bags for 1 person plus whatever her cabin mate brings.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

We take 1 bag each and share a garment bag for our formal clothes. And that includes 2 complete sets of scuba gear (minus tanks and weights of course). Walking through our cabin is like walking through a maze so I cannot imagine where someone would store 5 bags for 1 person plus whatever her cabin mate brings.

3 of the bags are a set and fit into each other and so all 4 pieces slide under the bed. The train case sits on top of the dresser. Husband travels with a garment bag that hangs in the closet and one suitcase that also slides under the bed. We never have any problems with storing the luggage.

We are traveling with a group of 12 - 8 staterooms, 6 with balconies. We are in a meet and mingle door decorating contest. So, I'll decorate 4 boardwalk and 1 2 ocean view balconies. Plus the 8 doors and the rooms. And, I bring decorations for the scooter too.

IF IT WAS ME, I'd just bring stuff for my own door/room/balcony and let the others in my group fend for themselves. Seems you could eliminate one suitcase that way.

No worries!

We're bringing a suitcase for each of our regular clothes. (2).

A suitcase for our shoes. (3)

A garment Bag. (4)

A suitcase with decorations & gifts for my mom. (5)

We're two people with 5 suitcases on the same ship. I guess they had better make some room onboard next Sunday ;)

This is how we normally pack and have never run in to an issue. We had 4 peices of luggage last year in an interior room on Majesty!!!

3 of the bags are a set and fit into each other and so all 4 pieces slide under the bed. The train case sits on top of the dresser. Husband travels with a garment bag that hangs in the closet and one suitcase that also slides under the bed. We never have any problems with storing the luggage.

I figured that was the case as far as storing the actual luggage. Guess I should have clarified..I don't know where anyone would store the CONTENTS of 5+ bags in a cabin.

IF IT WAS ME, I'd just bring stuff for my own door/room/balcony and let the others in my group fend for themselves. Seems you could eliminate one suitcase that way.
Absolutely, why would you carry Christmas decorations to a cruise ship that is already decorated and I did read Tiar's didn't I? I can't even spell that word correctly.:D. I just read part of this post to my dh and told him to please appreciate me from now on.:eek:

Absolutely, why would you carry Christmas decorations to a cruise ship that is already decorated and I did read Tiar's didn't I? I can't even spell that word correctly.:D. I just read part of this post to my dh and told him to please appreciate me from now on.:eek:

Since it is a Christmas Cruise, we like to have the cabins reflect the holiday. We are also part of a 'cabin crawl' with our meet and mingle group and want the room to be festive.

Oh yes, I pack tiaras and hairbows.... and other themed accessories (I have a cupcake headband and cupcake earrings for the cupcake decorating class for example).

Where to put it all in the cabin is a concern.

I guess I can take solace in knowing that my excess contributes to other wives being appreciated!

I'd best get back to packing.. only 7 days until we leave.

Since it is a Christmas Cruise, we like to have the cabins reflect the holiday. We are also part of a 'cabin crawl' with our meet and mingle group and want the room to be festive.

Oh yes, I pack tiaras and hairbows.... and other themed accessories (I have a cupcake headband and cupcake earrings for the cupcake decorating class for example).

Your thread title asked "should I purge?" but I'm not sure why you asked, as it seems you have absolutely no interest in or intention of doing so. If you want to bring a bunch of tiaras and themed accessories and Christmas decorations, have at it. Just not sure why you asked what everyone thought since your mind seems to be made up. :confused:

Your thread title asked "should I purge?" but I'm not sure why you asked, as it seems you have absolutely no interest in or intention of doing so. If you want to bring a bunch of tiaras and themed accessories and Christmas decorations, have at it. Just not sure why you asked what everyone thought since your mind seems to be made up. :confused:

My primary question was if RCCL would have a problem with the amount of luggage a cruiser brings. If fellow cruisers had encountered an issue with excess luggage, I certainly would have re-considered packing every item. I am open to leaving some things at home. I am, for example, re-evaluating the many decorations I had intended to pack. My enthusiasm for decorating was tempered by the reminders from others that the ship is already decorated and that the balcony items would need to be secured carefully. I was sincere in my request for others opinions and not trying to waste your time.

WE don't hang them off of the balconies - but we do decorate the balconies. Window clings on the sliding doors, battery operated light up garlands of poinsettias on the inside of the balcony rail (held on with twist ties), and some fun things like a blow up waving penguin held to a chair with bungee cords. I'll post pictures after our cruise.

I just can't resist-tiaras, decorations etc. Have you considered therapy?:)

I vote for purge.

Our first Christmas cruise I took decorations...not much, just a strand of lights and a tiny Christmas tree. I left it all onboard to either the cabin steward or the trash if they didn't want it.

The next 2 Christmas cruises I didn't take any decorations and was happy not to haul it along.

Tiaras, cute on 3 year old girls, but if they make you feel good go for it.

Keep life simple...I have a friend who always says "pack light, especially when you travel".

I don't think I would bring 5 suitcases myself, but if you're OK with it and don't mind your cabin maybe being cluttered, have at it.

We always bring at least one large suitcase apiece and a garment bag, with perhaps carryons, for a 2 week trip. What's the point in having nice clothes if you don't wear them? Or shoes to match an outfit if you don't bring them?

Life's too short. I don't mind paying baggage fees.

I don't think I would bring 5 suitcases myself, but if you're OK with it and don't mind your cabin maybe being cluttered, have at it.

We always bring at least one large suitcase apiece and a garment bag, with perhaps carryons, for a 2 week trip. What's the point in having nice clothes if you don't wear them? Or shoes to match an outfit if you don't bring them?

Life's too short. I don't mind paying baggage fees.

The room isn't cluttered at all. I'm able to fit all 5 bags under the beds with no issues. You can't tell I have so many bag except for the boat loads of clothes in the closet and drawers.

Archived