Travelers checks

PSU

Does Oceania charge for cashing travelers checks in Euros? On our upcoming trip on the Nautica in May, we are going to use ATMs, but we wanted to have :)a variety of options for currency. I think I read where Oceania charges to change dollars into Euros.

Thank you.

Yes, you be will charged a fee, I think around 5% but not sure. Best to stick with ATMs. Plus their exchange rate will be higher than ATMs.

Edit: Just checked their website:

All foreign currency exchange transactions will be charged to the guest's onboard account and a 5% transaction fee will be applied by Oceania Cruises.

Does Oceania charge for cashing travelers checks in Euros? On our upcoming trip on the Nautica in May, we are going to use ATMs, but we wanted to have :)a variety of options for currency. I think I read where Oceania charges to change dollars into Euros.

Thank you.

They only allow the cashing of dollar de nominated travellers checks into U.S. Dollars at no charge.

Jancruz1

Regarding traveller's checks payable in euros, we haven't used them in a long time -- probably going back to the early days of the euro.

But we did find a problem (driving through France) in cashing them at establishments. Many small hotels and restaurants, gas stations, etc., just didn't take them. We've found ATMs to be the answer as long as you have a debit card with a bank that doesn't charge the exchange fee.

Now, if you're going to be staying at five star hotels -- I doubt you'd have a problem such as we encountered back then!

Mura

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Traveler's checques. We haven't used them for many years. I didn't really understand why you even want to bother with them. Get some Euros in cash if you want to have them when you board. AAA will sell you a "tip package" with a small amount of Euros, large banks can get them for you.

Since the spread of ATM machines just about around every corner in the last 10 years or so plus the adoption of the Euro, the traveler's check has gone the way of the dodo bird. No one wants to take them, so you probably will be able to cash them only by standing in line at a bank and that is not a great way to spend vacation time IMO.

Either get some Euros before you leave home, or simply use the ATM machines you will find everywhere in Europe. My local bank waives all foreign exchange fees for my cash card usage, and you should check with yours regarding any such fees.

Since the spread of ATM machines just about around every corner in the last 10 years or so plus the adoption of the Euro, the traveler's check has gone the way of the dodo bird. No one wants to take them, so you probably will be able to cash them only by standing in line at a bank and that is not a great way to spend vacation time IMO.

Either get some Euros before you leave home, or simply use the ATM machines you will find everywhere in Europe. My local bank waives all foreign exchange fees for my cash card usage, and you should check with yours regarding any such fees.

And what do you do with your euros when they're being used for nothing more than toilet paper????????

Our friends took travelers checks on a Baltic cruise and couldn't use them anywhere. Surprisingly, even though they were citibank travelers checks, the citibank in St. Petersburg wouldn't even take them. They were able to finally cash them (for a fee) on the ship.

Thank you.

Traveller's cheques are obsolete in the rest of the world. They shouldn't be offered for sale. All you are doing is lending your money to AMEX and they might charge a fee.

Archived