Drink Package Question/Concern

JFletcher32

I will post this in the group cruise section as well, but just wanted widen the views on this particular question.

Me and DH are booked with a wedding group on the Liberty in February. The all inclusive alcohol package was offered to the group for an additional $400 per person. With the knowledge this package is an all or none deal, the bride and groom decided that they wanted to go ahead with this package for the group. So, my TA sent me an invoice for $800 saying that this package has been added.

Heres my thing, having cuised multiple times our sail and sign account has never reached $800 with tips, drinks, excursions, etc. so I am having a really hard time swallowing the fact that we will have to pay an additional $800 just for drinks on this cruise. I would rather put the $800 in OBC and spend it how we would like to spend it. Dont get me wrong, I know that this package would benefit most liquor drinkers, but my husband and I are beer drinkers and not heavy drinkers at that. So, I spoke with my TA (who also happens to be my aunt) about the above and she told me that we would be able to book the soda package for $54 per person, but that we would have to provide a written doctors excuse as to why we are not able to drink alcohol. My first reaction to that is, ok I will play that game, but the more that I think about it, it is really ridiculous that they are making us do this. I have to get an excuse from my doctor because I dont want to drink as much as the package is worth???? Am I missing the boat somewhere here?

Not trying to dis your family(if this is a family member getting married), but it is extremely poor manners to expect all wedding guests to pay up that much money. I don't drink at all and would tell them where to take their wedding if me and DH was forced to shell out 800 extra bucks.

If you are already paying your cruisefare, then the bridal party should be footing the bill for booze if they are so adamantly wanting this package.

Not trying to dis your family(if this is a family member getting married), but it is extremely poor manners to expect all wedding guests to pay up that much money. I don't drink at all and would tell them where to take their wedding if me and DH was forced to shell out 800 extra bucks.

If you are already paying your cruisefare, then the bridal party should be footing the bill for booze if they are so adamantly wanting this package.

I have to agree and I am a big drinker while on vacation LOL

I am sailing with a group cruise next month. They also went with the drinks pacakge, which for most of the group really makes sense. But for a few of us it doesn't work.

Our solution was to have our TA book our cabins independently of the group. We don't get the group rate or a few of the other perks, but in our case it was worth it. I actually got a past guest rate that was lower than the group rate. And even if you pay more the cabin, saving the $800 cost of the drinks package would offset any fare increase.

The one wrinkle is arranging dinner seating with the rest of the group. After we were all booked, our TA was able to "link" our reservations with some of the folks in the group so that we can be seated with them at dinner.

Well, glad to see that its not just me! Yes, it is my sister in law and yes, we were really upset when we learned about it without them really asking anyone about it first.

I have given thought about cancelling with the group and rebooking on our own, however I am in the wedding party and my husband is walking his sister down the aisle and need to VIP board with everyone else in the group. Would we still be able to board with everyone else thats in the wedding "group" seeing as we both have pretty important roles in the wedding ceremony?

Also, we are at 62 days, so I am certain we would get penialized for doing this. I will check with my TA on all of that jazz as I am sure that it would still be a savings for us rather than having to pay that additional $800 to drink!

Well, glad to see that its not just me! /quote]

Nope not just you! I would not be happy and we are big drinkers and can afford the $800 but to me it seems a bit presumptuous to expect people to pay addtionally given they have paid for the cruise. ;) If everyone was asked ahead of time and were all in agreement that might be different.

Of course this thread is about two of my least favorite things, weddings and group travel..... ;) My friends don't understand me.....:(

Well, glad to see that its not just me! Yes, it is my sister in law and yes, we were really upset when we learned about it without them really asking anyone about it first.

I have given thought about cancelling with the group and rebooking on our own, however I am in the wedding party and my husband is walking his sister down the aisle and need to VIP board with everyone else in the group. Would we still be able to board with everyone else thats in the wedding "group" seeing as we both have pretty important roles in the wedding ceremony?

Also, we are at 62 days, so I am certain we would get penialized for doing this. I will check with my TA on all of that jazz as I am sure that it would still be a savings for us rather than having to pay that additional $800 to drink!

Can't address the penalty situation, but I do know about cruise weddings. If the wedding is on embarkation day, you will be allowed to board early regardless of whether or not you are part of the 'group'. In fact, you could board early even if you aren't sailing. If the wedding is not on sailing day, it won't matter if you board with them or not.

Not just you. We would certainly NEVER do this. As you said, even with drinks-tips-excursions-etc our S&S is rarely $500 total. It's unfortunate that the group added this as a caveot and tied you into it.

Would we still be able to board with everyone else thats in the wedding "group" seeing as we both have pretty important roles in the wedding ceremony?!

Wedding parties board first, before VIP, so yes, no problem there.

The problem would be cancelling. I dont know how one person can make everyone have to pay and make that decision... though my first group cruise, I admit they choose a drink party rather than OBC, which would not have been my choice... so maybe they can make the choice?

Doesnt seem right to me either.

The wedding party should have polled the folks on the cruise to see who wants the drink package. Then they could have split the cost of those that want the package but tell Carnival it is for all passengers in the group. The per person cost for those actually drinking would be higher, possibly high enough for the group to decide to not get the package...

They make it an all in the group or none to deter large groups from purchasing the package because there will almost always be those that do not drink.

OK, just found out from my TA that it would cost us $808 ($500 Carnival, $108 Soda Package and $200 TA cancel fee) just to cancel, then plus the cruise fare went up since we booked, so in addition to the cancellation charges we would be paying more to book on our own. So, in the end I would be spending more money to do this, so that would be silly.

I still refuse to pay for this package though. I let my TA know that. There are 28 others in the group that can pay an additional $29.00 per person if they want it so badly, cause I am just not doing it, nor will I waste my time to try and get a doctors note to basically lie and say that I cant drink.

I really hate to be the odd man out with this thing within our group, but all of the other people within the group are rookie cruisers and just dont know. I tried explaining all of this in the beginning because I was against it, but they decided to do it anyway.

OK, just found out from my TA that it would cost us $808 ($500 Carnival, $108 Soda Package and $200 TA cancel fee) just to cancel, then plus the cruise fare went up since we booked, so in addition to the cancellation charges we would be paying more to book on our own. So, in the end I would be spending more money to do this, so that would be silly.

I still refuse to pay for this package though. I let my TA know that. There are 28 others in the group that can pay an additional $29.00 per person if they want it so badly, cause I am just not doing it, nor will I waste my time to try and get a doctors note to basically lie and say that I cant drink.

I really hate to be the odd man out with this thing within our group, but all of the other people within the group are rookie cruisers and just dont know. I tried explaining all of this in the beginning because I was against it, but they decided to do it anyway.

Oh gosh, I admire you sticking to your guns and I wish you the best in working things out with the others cruising. I don't like people deciding for me how to spend my money, I do that very well(sometimes too well) on my own, thank you! ;)

Weddings and/or group travel can be so stressful getting everyone on the same page, and trying not to hurt feelings, (or pocketbooks for that matter). Once you put this behind you then go and have a great time at the wedding and your cruise!:)

I wouldn't be happy with this either, but is $800 really worth upsetting family over. Life is too short. All in all it really won't be a full $800, because you will likely drink some portion of it.

OP, did you talk to your TA what will happen if you decide not to pay $800? What if Carnival insists on charging you (on your sail and sign bill) or cancel your booking?

I don't envy you or your husband, however I am afraid that you will eventually have to suck it up and pay (Your husband will probably eventually give in for the sake of family harmony because of his brother and it will be had to blame me). Good luck.

I wouldn't be happy with this either, but is $800 really worth upsetting family over. Life is too short. All in all it really won't be a full $800, because you will likely drink some portion of it.

It depends on personal circumstances - for some (actually many) people $800 is a two-week pay (less after taxes).

If you drink one drink you still pay the whole price.. it has nothing to do with amount ... you pay up front and the money is gone!!

OP, did you talk to your TA what will happen if you decide not to pay $800? What if Carnival insists on charging you (on your sail and sign bill) or cancel your booking?

I don't envy you or your husband, however I am afraid that you will eventually have to suck it up and pay (Your husband will probably eventually give in for the sake of family harmony because of his brother and it will be had to blame me). Good luck.

If you can't afford it then you don't accept it.. and cancel and rebook.. or ask the bride and groom to pay.. cause I know dayum well if it was my brother he would be paying that part of the cruise...:rolleyes:

If you drink one drink you still pay the whole price.. it has nothing to do with amount ... you pay up front and the money is gone!!

I am well aware that you pay the whole $800, and the money is gone. But you won't be charged anything further for liquor you consume on your cruise.

So if you did not pay the $800 and you each had 1 DOD each day, by the end of the cruise you would have spent at least $140 (assuming each drink is $10). Now you only overspent by $660. Small price to pay for family harmony!

I am well aware that you pay the whole $800, and the money is gone. But you won't be charged anything further for liquor you consume on your cruise.

So if you did not pay the $800 and you each had 1 DOD each day, by the end of the cruise you would have spent at least $140 (assuming each drink is $10). Now you only overspent by $660. Small price to pay for family harmony!

To some maybe not all..;) your post was not clear how I read it I thought you were saying the money was deducted from the 800...

If you can't afford it then you don't accept it.. and cancel and rebook.. or ask the bride and groom to pay.. cause I know dayum well if it was my brother he would be paying that part of the cruise...:rolleyes:

The same with me - I would not hesitate to confront my brother about it (if I had one), but it sounded like OP would prefer not to have this kind of confrontation (and it will cost too much to cancel).

You don't even need to be going on the cruise and still be able to board with the wedding party.

You could take empty RRs on and then smuggle $660 worth off...;) It would keep peace in the family and since the OP is a light drinker they may never have to buy cocktails again!:D

:rolleyes:

Archived