Australia - Ships?

sail7seas

Which ships will be in Australia in 2012?

Volendam

Oosterdam

AND Zaandam??

Will there be three down under or is Zaandam coming back to do Hawaii?

Thanks.

Pretty sure Zaandam is scheduled to do Hawaii from San Diego and Vancouver and also do Tahiti and the Marquesas. No Oz for ZADM in 2012. Amsterdam will call at Australia as part of her Grand Asia & Australia and Grand Pacific & Far East voyages

I am pretty sure it will be Volendam and Oosterdam.

2012 will be a big year for cruising in Au/NZ as cruise lines are stepping up their presence down here.

We will have Carnival Spirit, Celebrity Solstice, Voyager of the Seas as well as the local Princess and P&O fleet.

HAL will be facing competion to fill their ships .

Going to be an interesting year for cruising.:D

2012 will be a big year for cruising in Au/NZ as cruise lines are stepping up their presence down here.

We will have Carnival Spirit, Celebrity Solstice, Voyager of the Seas as well as the local Princess and P&O fleet.

I am thinking that they are over saturating the market and going to have a hard time filling all those ships. I think there are just too many berths too fill. I think HAL would have been wiser that if they wanted two ships in the Au/NZ area they placed two smaller ships and kept a Vista or Signature class on the West Coast alternating Mexico and Hawaii. They have not had a hard time at all filling the Oosterdam for Alaska, sales have actually been better with the Oosterdam for the Hawaii runs than it was when the Zaandam was doing it. I am willing to bet that there will be some big changes for the 2013/2014 year unless they make some change soon for the 2012/2013 year like they did when they pulled the Oosterdam out of South America.

Ship utilization is growing trickier and trickier. The Mediterranean market, because of European woes, is tanking; Mexico, because of violence, is dying and cruise lines are reassigning ships, etc. We'll be on the Volendam in March from Auckland to Vancouver and will report what we experience.

Even China has problems. Yet here is a development that bears watching: RCL is leasing one of its ships to China World Cruises is a unit of Shan-Hai-Shu, a property and theme park developer.

Despite some economic uncertainty, I think the Chinese market is the future. The Chinese are reputed to be big gamblers.

So what does this mean? Great prices in oversaturated itineraries like the Mediterranean. Just look at this spring's repositioning prices.

----

Royal Caribbean forms partnership with Chinese company

By Donna Tunney

Royal Caribbean International will charter the Legend of the Seas to China World Cruises for four months next year. Royal Caribbean said the charter agreement is supported by the Xiamen municipal government as part of the development of Xiamen as the fourth home port for Royal Caribbean International in China, following Shanghai, Tianjin and Hong Kong.

During the charter, Royal Caribbean will operate and market 21 sailings ranging in length from three to eight days. The Legend of the Seas will depart from Xiamen, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tianjin, and call in Taiwan, Vietnam, Japan and Korea.

The first sailing will depart from Hong Kong on March 20 for a five-day cruise. The first departure from Xiamen will be on March 26.

The 1,804-passenger Legend of the Seas has been sailing from Singapore since 2008 and from Shanghai since 2010.

I am thinking that they are over saturating the market and going to have a hard time filling all those ships. I think there are just too many berths too fill. I think HAL would have been wiser that if they wanted two ships in the Au/NZ area they placed two smaller ships and kept a Vista or Signature class on the West Coast alternating Mexico and Hawaii. They have not had a hard time at all filling the Oosterdam for Alaska, sales have actually been better with the Oosterdam for the Hawaii runs than it was when the Zaandam was doing it. I am willing to bet that there will be some big changes for the 2013/2014 year unless they make some change soon for the 2012/2013 year like they did when they pulled the Oosterdam out of South America.

Australia is also keen for bigger and better ships. For too long Australia has been getting the older ships from all the different cruises companies and charged a premium price to cruise on these cruise ships.

We are looking at either The Voyager of the Seas or Oosterdam for a cruise for Christmas 2012, we will wait and see what ship has the best pricing option.

Most of the ships that come to Australia/New Zealand return to Alaska for the cruising season.

The market is growing here in Australia very strongly. We are one of the very few OECD countries that have not had a recession; in fact not for about twenty years. We also have a lot of older people who have been flying to the US or Europe to cruise but who are tired of the twenty plus hour flights.

Awesome - cheaper last minute cruises.

Awesome - cheaper last minute cruises.

I have been told by agents that next year there will be some real bargains to be had. The cruiselines will be keen to fill their ships.

This is numbers that Kiwi Kruzer calculated at the 1st Dec, and that didn't include all the ships sailing in Aust / NZ waters this year.

22,210 passengers

out on the water today..

That sure is a lot of people to feed

Sea Princess.....1950

Dawn Princess.....1950

Sun Princess .....1950

Ocean Princess..... 684

Pacific Pearl.....1578

Pacific Sun.....1200

Pacific Dawn.....1590

Pacific Jewel.....1708

Volendam.....1432

Zaandam.....1432

Celebrity Century.....1800

Radiance of the Seas.....2501

Rhapsody of the Seas.....2435..........22,210

*These numbers are approximate and are not intended as actual.

I'm with you on that. This season, which isn't as big as next season, has already had issues with filling some ships. There just isn't the growth in the local market to sustain the rapid increase in berths that has occurred. Moreover, some of these sailings are based on taking on international pax, but that has also been constrained due to the US and European issues, yet airfares are high and oil prices have risen.

Which ships will be in Australia in 2012?

Volendam

Oosterdam

AND Zaandam??

Will there be three down under or is Zaandam coming back to do Hawaii?

Thanks.

The "Amsterdam" calls at several Australian ports - USUALLY either western side or eastern side as it sails down from SE Asia -and some itineraries stop in NZ as well. All in the autumn. The advantage of that one "Grand" cruise is that -for Americans and Canadians - it sails out of and into North American ports -so flight times are considerably less for that ONE cruise -if you are doing the entire cruise which involves anywhere from 60-75 days.

We are retired and have done that cruise 4 times and it is a favorite [with its variations] The FIRST Asian cruise we took in 2002 was an experiment for this newly retired couple, so we did a partial cruise and flew into Singapore, where we had 3 days prior to boarding -then it sailed into Australia. There were several unique things and one was -the stop in Bali was NOT done because of the bombing of the bar THAT week! And they substituted a Broome, Australia port stop which was FUN because of the differences between BIG city [sydney] and Broome.

This longer cruise - usually at LEAST 2 months long - appeals to retired people because we have the time -AND the first and last weeks are literally "paid for" by the lack of LONG distance flights. The flight from Denver/San FRan/Singapore -were GRUELING at best -but the cruise itself was PURE heaven!! We are looking into doing it again either 2013 or 2014, because the itineraries are lovely. :)

Anne

Archived