Inaugural Cruise - Need Advice

PCruzer

My husband and I are comtemplating the Feb. 22, 2006 inaugural cruise of the new Noordam. We have never been on an inaugural cruise before. We need some advice on the pros and cons of being on the first passenger sailing of a ship. I have read travel articles that say never to book an inaugural cruise - since the staff is brand new to the ship, it can be very disorganized. I've also heard that sometimes the ship is not "completely" finished yet but sails anyway. Being from Long Island, this winter sailing from New York is very appealing to us, and the time frame is what we are looking for. If anyone has experience with HAL inaugural cruises, we would very much appreciate any input. Thanks!!

My only experience was on the Ryndam years ago when we booked only her fourth revenue cruise. It was both exciting and challenging at the same time. HAL had pulled together a crew of both seasoned and new staff and they were still getting to know each other and the ship. That led to some mistakes but all in all it was handled well. The service was outstanding and really was one of the highlights of that particular cruise. It was also great to be only the fourth set of passengers in a cabin. It, like the rest of the ship, was all bright and shiny. The ship was finished in the sense there wasn't any obvious last minute construction, decorating, etc., going on. The challenges came in that they were sorting out some of the mechanical aspects....like the toilet in our cabin didn't work the second day on the cruise. Took them several hours to get it operating again and then it "broke" again near the end of the cruise for half a day or so. This also happened in some of the public restrooms and there were several that were closed off and on during the 10 day cruise.

I personally would pass on an Inaugural Cruise, just as I won't buy a new car if it is a new model that has just been introduced.

I prefer to wait a year - let somebody else deal with the "bugs". Sometimes the mix of a brand new ship and a new crew learning to work with new equipment and each other could be overwhelming.

I love cruising, but prefer something a little more "tried and true".

Hopefully HAL learned much from launch of the Zuiderdam. It seems they did, as there weren't nearly as many issues raised with the launches of the Oosterdam and Westerdam. I believe it will be more of a people issue than anything. Even seasoned employees, unless their experience is on a Vista class ship, will be learning where things are and how the work for weeks. But it could really be exciting to be on that first Caribbean sailing.

Having personally walked aboard both the Oosterdam and Westerdam when they were fresh from the shipyard in Italy, there is nothing like walking into areas for the first time, the scents, the crispness, everything. It's exhilarating!

Great strides have been made since the launch of the Zuiderdam. The Westerdam was *so ready* that crew were sitting and waiting for visitors in Venice, Italy to present the ship. It was something else.

Go with an open mind and just relish in being a part of history . . . . .

I agree with Shipcafe; enjoy being part of a historical event in maritime history.

I was looking forward to being on the Noordam's Inaugural Cruise, too. I thought it would be a trans-Atlantic positioning voyage from Venice. Really had my heart set on it! Then, I was somewhat "crushed" when HAL decided the Maiden Voyage would be a Caribbean cruise from New York in mid-February. Sailing from New York in mid-Winter does not appeal, personally.

PCruzer: my recommendation: go for it!

We booked the inaugural Noordam cruise without hesitation as soon as it was possible. Think of how exciting it will be to be the first to experience it all- everything all sparkling and fresh! Any little glitches that are bound to be a part of the first cruise will only make it more of an adventure. As long as it floats, and you are not a perfectionist about the rest, the ship will provide a very festive inaugural experience. I would definitely recommend it.

My parents love to do these crusises on HAL. They only sail HAL, and have been on every new ship for the past 5, I believe and they have loved every cruise. Just know everything needs to get the kinks out and not everything is perfect, they have alot of fun stories about stuff not working at a precise moment or something that worked too good hehehe.

Just go and Enjoy the excitement and history making :)

I have never been on an inagural cruise. I remember hearing from a staff member on the Rotterdam VI that the first one was rough because staffing buys had to be worked out as well as some mechanical bugs. I was once on a cruise with a guy that said he would NEVER sail on the VEENDAM again. He had a bad experience. Nothing worked right but it was the inagural cruise. I have traveled on this same ship many times and it was, at worst, pleasant.

I would go on this ship any time, any place.

It was good to hear Steve from Ship's Cafe speak so positively. To all who will sail the Noordam on her inagural voyage, may each of you come back raving about the experience.

Himself

Our first cruise was on the Inaugural cruise of the last Westerdam and we fell in love with crusing. As one poster said everything is new and something to see. Yes there is the potential of problems but thats part of the adventure. My only fear would be the possibly cancelation of the cruise if the ship is delayed. I'd go for it.

I did one maiden voyage - the Queen Mary 2. It was great in many ways but there were a lot of little hiccups, especially in food service. But that was an entirely new ship.

I think the maiden for the Noordam should go VERY smoothly. I think they'll most likely take crew and staff from the other Vista ships so they'll be familiar with all the layouts and secrets of the ship. Many crew and staff of HAL move around to several ships so for many, they'll be working with familiar faces.

I'd originally booked this cruise but the prices were just too high - I was going to get the Penthouse suite but they wanted over $17,000 for the 10 days :eek: , almost 2.5X normal price - not worth that. All of the prices seemed quite inflated.

But you should get a few minor perks such as commemorative books, plates, tiles or the like. Plus there will probably be all the bigwigs from HAL and Carnival Corp. and some name entertainment.

Enjoy!

I was on the U.S. maiden voyage of the old Noordam III in 1984. It was a complete blast! I would not hesitate to book another Maiden/Innaugural voyage. We are still contemplating this one - we'd have to go without the kids, but I don't think they'd mind too much.

You asked if these inaugural cruises price out higher than cruises on established ships. Yes, I think that they are higher, or maybe it is just that the travel agents can't get the usual breaks which they partially share with the buyer. We got so accustomed to really reduced rates while people were afraid to travel, especially on European cruises. I think that we all got spoiled and that we probably will find that those days are over now. We might need to pay more for all cruises. It is certainly still a reasonable way to vacation though. I think that all will agree on that even if the prices go up some. We are really looking forward to the cruise and normally don't do the Caribbean ones anymore, as it has gotten a little redundant. But this one will be special. DO IT!

(Even if the toilet should break, it will only add to the adventure of being the 1st!)

Since I'm booked on this cruise I would like information on this subject too. Anybody have any advice?

RevNeal... did you make your reservations on the HAL site or through a TA? I've been trying to find an "On-line" TA for that cruise and so far have been unlucky in finding any TA that even "lists" that cruise. I love going on Innaugral cruises, I usually go Solo. Thanks.

I was accidentally on the maiden voyage of the Oosterdam. I had booked what was to be the third cruise but HAL canceled the first two sailings and mine wound up the first. I enjoyed it, especially all the spectators on the docks when we arrived and departed. We even had the fire boat leading us into Oslo with fountains from its apparatus. I didn't notice any "new crew" problems and the ship was lovely.

We are booking through our regular TA in Seattle who has comparable pricing. If you want to email me, I would be happy to provide you with the agancy name. HAL's pricing for this cruise is not as bad as it was when it was first listed.

I am still afraid the sailing date may change though - hopefully the ship will be completed on time, but there is no guarantee. :)

Archived