Megans Bay and Saphire Beach

Charlestfl

Remember that you drive on the left! Here is a link to the island that shows where the beaches are. My recommendation would be to go to Sapphire in the morning, then to Magen's in the afternoon, when the crowds start to thin so that they can shop. And this way you avoid the Red Hook traffic. I would think that a taxi would be the better option- instead of wasting time with paperwork and navigation and getting gas.

http://virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/

We want to go to both of these. Need advice on what is the best route and is the taxi the best bet. Thanks

We just got back today from a ten nighter on the Explorer of the Seas. On St Thomas, we spent the day at Sapphire Beach, and it was easily one of the prettiest beaches we have ever been on. We took a cab there and back for $10 per person. The roads are twisty, and very steep in some areas; I would not want to drive them!

Loungers were five dollars each, and there was plenty of shade to be had, so no need for umbrellas. Outdoor shower, Restrooms, snorkeling, and bar service all available. This was a fantastic beach day!

Teddie

We agree, we spent a week at Sapphire and loved it there.

I thought taxi fare was $8 pp each way, but it's $5 pp each way?

Charlestfl, driving STT is very easy once you get accustoed to driving on the left. The roads are really not that hilly or twisting as compared to other islands. BUt I wouls still strongly suggest taking a taxi your first visit here just so you don't waste time trying to find spots.

You'll need to choose one or the other beaches, I would suggest Sapphire. If you want a busier spot try Coki.

You certainly could go to both beaches, but they are fairly far apart and you will waste a good bit of time doing so. The Island looks small and it is, but the roads are twisty, narrow, pot holed and it takes a good bit of time to travel from place to place. The route to Sapphire is entirely different than the route to Magens. This is not Long Island! IMO you would do well to choose one beach and travel by taxi, especially on your first trip to the VI. Enjoy:)

B.

Here are a few pics of Sapphire

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.686644,-74.349528

Thanks for the info and fabulous pics! Planning to visit Sapphire in January when we stop in St. Thomas - can you confirm that the 'facilities' are all okay and in use? Heard stories about lack of washrooms, or food/drink etc but sounds like it is all okay now?

Thanks for the info and fabulous pics! Planning to visit Sapphire in January when we stop in St. Thomas - can you confirm that the 'facilities' are all okay and in use? Heard stories about lack of washrooms, or food/drink etc but sounds like it is all okay now?

You are welcome!

There is an outdoor shower, and clean washrooms. It's not luxury, but certainly decent. Servers came down on the beach to take drink orders and offer menus with casual-type food--pizza, salads, etc. Taxis to return back to the ship were plentiful.

I wish I were there now.

Teddie

You are welcome!

There is an outdoor shower, and clean washrooms. It's not luxury, but certainly decent. Servers came down on the beach to take drink orders and offer menus with casual-type food--pizza, salads, etc. Taxis to return back to the ship were plentiful.

I wish I were there now.

Teddie

Excellent info - thanks again - I am so looking forward to it (and I hear the snorkelling is not too bad there either :D)

Why can't we do both?

If you have at least 8 hrs in port you can do both. It's just more commom for someone to choose one this trip and see the other the next trip. I would prefer to spend some time at Paradise Point or one of the bars overlooking the Red Hook Marina over driving to the other end of the island to go to another beach.

Now Coki and Sapphire are very close together and that is a better idea, and both offer great snorkeling. Coki is our favorite beach for beauty and soft sand but because it's a much smaller bay it is busier and has many vendors. Sapphire is larger and although there's a dive center and small grill it's quieter. But gorgeous views of Tortola and St John.

We spent a week at Sapphire after a week on Tortola and although none of the beaches on St Thomas compare to Smuggler's Cove or Long Bay on Tortola Sapphire and Coki are very nice.

Teddie: I went to look at your cruise photos but they all seem to be from quite a few years ago. Maybe I missed something or you just haven't uploaded recent ones from Sapphire Beach? Did you dock at Crown Bay or Havensight?

No, my bad.

I haven't updated the albums for a while--I'll get to it soon, and thanks for the nudge!

We docked at Havensight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived