What do you think of Carnival COFFEE?

ladydoc1992

I saw a thread some time back about the coffee on Carnival ships...some pros and lots of cons from the more serious coffee drinkers.For those of you who want really high quality coffee, I agree it's hard to find on Carnival, unless you purchase by the cup at the coffee speciality shop on board. Kinda pricey, if you drink a lot of coffee.

And no, Carnival will not let you bring your own coffeemaker , cause it's electric. Safety reasons.

I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION!!

Melitta has come out with a nifty new product called 'Single Cup Coffee Brewer' . It is not electric..it is a plastic drip funnel that holds a cone shaped coffee filter, and it fits on top of any coffee cup or travel mug.

You put your own coffee in it and hot water and it slow drips a perfect mug of coffee!

All the Carnival ships have hot water dispensers for making hot tea.

Sooo...if you bring your own bagged premium coffee and the Melita Single Cup Coffee Brewer, and the ship has the hot water, sugar and creamer,

Voila!! perfect coffee just like you would make at home!

And the best part of this story is.....

it costs $3!!!

go to lido, fill half the cup with coffee, the other with hot chocolate, cafe mocha

go the MDR, fill 1/8th the cup with sugar, add coffee, add milk-cafe au lait

I can create-a mixology of coffee, and while the coffee is not great, I won't pay more to drink something a tad bit better when with a little work on my part, I can get something pretty darn decent.

I think CCL coffee made a turn for the better last year. Still not great but better.

We do enjoy an evening cup at the coffe kiosk though it's an Americana and not drip brewed. Still big fans of the Via's. We order a couple of carafes of hot water from room service then just retain the carafes for the duration of the cruise. Easy to fill at the coffee stations on the Lido. Nuthin' better than a Starbucks 1st thing in the morning!

I think CCL coffee made a turn for the better last year. Still not great but better.

We do enjoy an evening cup at the coffe kiosk though it's an Americana and not drip brewed. Still big fans of the Via's. We order a couple of carafes of hot water from room service then just retain the carafes for the duration of the cruise. Easy to fill at the coffee stations on the Lido. Nuthin' better than a Starbucks 1st thing in the morning!

I have to agree with the not great but better comment. I noticed last week on the Ecstasy that the coffee was better than it used to be.

I have to agree with the not great but better comment. I noticed last week on the Ecstasy that the coffee was better than it used to be.

I agree the coffee isn't great but it is bearable. I just need a couple of cups to get me jump started in the morning.

Don't forget that is no charge for expressos in the MDR. Excellent end to a gourmet meal and bottle of wine.

To us it tasted like the water on the ship--which also didn't taste too good. (I suppose this is open to opinion based on what the water tastes like in your hometown). We opted to spend a little extra money each morning and buy coffee from the coffee shop.

I found out if you let it run until the count of 10 and then put your cup under there it's not as bad...but as John Heald has said that is one thing they are working on, I just hope it does not take as long as changing the Platinum program has taken...:)....Dennis

go to lido, fill half the cup with coffee, the other with hot chocolate, cafe mocha

go the MDR, fill 1/8th the cup with sugar, add coffee, add milk-cafe au lait

I can create-a mixology of coffee, and while the coffee is not great, I won't pay more to drink something a tad bit better when with a little work on my part, I can get something pretty darn decent.

I do the same cafe mocha too:D I think it tastes great! Next cruise, I will try the cafe au lait! Great Idea.....

I like simple coffee, no sugar, no cream..nothing..black. Now most of the time just being darker than water and hot works. I do about 3-5 cups at 5-8 AM, a mid day and one at dinner and at times at night. So 6-8 cups a day is not strange. Having my flask of my Bon Voyage rum (straight up) on deck and beer in port might lower my coffee consumption, but price wise, I stick to what the cruise offers free. I have not been disappointed.

What makes "good" coffee is as varied as there are number of coffee drinkers. For some strong coffee is yucky; for others weak coffee is yucky. For some *$ is pretty darn good; for others, friends don't let friends drink *$ :). For some if you don't roast your own you're drinking bad coffee, for others, roasting your own is too much of a hassle. That's why stuff like Folgers and Maxwell House sell so well and why Folgers drinkers hate Maxwell House, etc., etc. Still others dont' see all the fuss about Dunkin'Donuts coffees. If you have gotten used to drinking a certain brand of coffee and making it a certain way, all other types of coffee made other ways will probably taste "bad" to you.

On ship, those who think the coffee in the MDR is better than the coffee on the Lido deck haven't watched the morning MDR servers fill their small pots from the Lido urns. The specialty coffee on Carnival does tastes better because it's brewed in smaller batches than dumping ground coffee into large commerical urns. But even then some cruisers think it's too strong. None of the coffee on the ship, even if you make your own is going to taste as quite good as what you make at home because the water IS different.

Have yet to read a review where some one got deathly ill from drinking the coffee out of the Lido urn. The difference is mostly in your head and expectations for bad coffee are fueled by ideas plannted in your head from others. "Oh the coffee is terrible", they say, and yep! sure enough you take a sip and it isn't your regular brew and so yep! it's bad. "Oh the coffee is okay", they say and yep! sure enough you take a sip and it's not your regular brew, but it'll do for the week.

What makes "good" coffee is as varied as there are number of coffee drinkers. For some strong coffee is yucky; for others weak coffee is yucky. For some *$ is pretty darn good; for others, friends don't let friends drink *$ :). For some if you don't roast your own you're drinking bad coffee, for others, roasting your own is too much of a hassle. That's why stuff like Folgers and Maxwell House sell so well and why Folgers drinkers hate Maxwell House, etc., etc. Still others dont' see all the fuss about Dunkin'Donuts coffees. If you have gotten used to drinking a certain brand of coffee and making it a certain way, all other types of coffee made other ways will probably taste "bad" to you.

On ship, those who think the coffee in the MDR is better than the coffee on the Lido deck haven't watched the morning MDR servers fill their small pots from the Lido urns. The specialty coffee on Carnival does tastes better because it's brewed in smaller batches than dumping ground coffee into large commerical urns. But even then some cruisers think it's too strong. None of the coffee on the ship, even if you make your own is going to taste as quite good as what you make at home because the water IS different.

Have yet to read a review where some one got deathly ill from drinking the coffee out of the Lido urn. The difference is mostly in your head and expectations for bad coffee are fueled by ideas plannted in your head from others. "Oh the coffee is terrible", they say, and yep! sure enough you take a sip and it isn't your regular brew and so yep! it's bad. "Oh the coffee is okay", they say and yep! sure enough you take a sip and it's not your regular brew, but it'll do for the week.

Yeah..... what he said.....:p:D

Room service coffee is pretty decent. We order 2 carafes on each morning of the cruise and drink that while getting ready for the day. I would equate it to a Denny's or McDonald's brew; nothing fancy but still decent nevertheless. I do bring my own powdered fat-free creamer and then mix it with skim milk to save a few calories but you can order half&half or what ever mix-ins you desire, just make sure to mark it on the room service request form.

:)

Archived