Seabourn converts!

ailmarsh

Just back from our first Seabourn Quest cruise (Caribbean Nov 23rd - Dec7th).

My husband had not been keen to cruise again but Seabourn have won him round :-)

We thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and inspite of lots of criticism re wine and toiletries, we had no issues at all.

If we didn't like the first wine offered there was always a very acceptable alternative, served with charm.

Toiletries were replaced as required with a complete reserve set in the bathroom cabinet.

Suite fridge was replenished twice daily as required with both still and sparkling water plus any other beer or soft drinks we had consumed.

Our prefereces of single malt Scotch and brandy appeared on our first night.

Heindricks Gin & Chardonnay were delivered by a bar manager when requested for friends we had invited for a pre dinner drink. Delicious prawns, caviar and large cheese plate were also set out with glasses of champagne as we were celebrating our Silver Wedding.

The quality and choice of seafood throughout the cruise and across all reataurants was outstanding.

Room service was also outstanding. Whether it was breakfast or dinner served course by course in our suite!

Any questions .... just ask!

Wishing all the same experience we enjoyed :-)

Hi...we are booked as first timers on the Pride leaving Hong Kong Feb 2, 2012, to Singapore. We were booked with Swan Hellenic for the same itinerary, but they have pulled the Minerva for a redo. We were 'high and dry' with airfare and hotel already arranged, when I found Seabourn, so we are trying them out. When I booked the trip there were no balcony (or veranda) cabins available, so we took what we could get, with our names on a list if a veranda becomes available. I have been very impressed so far, and from reading these boards I think this may turn out to be a great trip. The attraction with Swan was the educational aspect...great lectures re art, history etc. Will we see that with Seabourn? We do like cruising on a smaller ship...the big liners hold no appeal for us!

The attraction with Swan was the educational aspect...great lectures re art, history etc. Will we see that with Seabourn? We do like cruising on a smaller ship...the big liners hold no appeal for us!

After more than 300 plus days on Seabourn, haven't come across a passenger who was attracted to the cruise line for an educational aspect.

Occasionally a very good lecturer, but as a whole, mediocre not great.

Hi...we are booked as first timers on the Pride leaving Hong Kong Feb 2, 2012, to Singapore. We were booked with Swan Hellenic for the same itinerary, but they have pulled the Minerva for a redo. We were 'high and dry' with airfare and hotel already arranged, when I found Seabourn, so we are trying them out. When I booked the trip there were no balcony (or veranda) cabins available, so we took what we could get, with our names on a list if a veranda becomes available. I have been very impressed so far, and from reading these boards I think this may turn out to be a great trip. The attraction with Swan was the educational aspect...great lectures re art, history etc. Will we see that with Seabourn? We do like cruising on a smaller ship...the big liners hold no appeal for us!

I have a friend who is doing the Swan Hellenic cruise in 2013 and she is paying mega bucks for an inside cabin.....three weeks in an inside cabin yikes!!!! I have told her repeatedly about Seabourn, but as she is with friends she has little choice in the matter. I must say the lectures don't hold much appeal for me (or her) and I don't think Seabourn would compare in that matter to Swan Hellenic who always strike me as being very worthy, but of course I have never sailed with them so can't really say, just my impression.

Having done this same cruise a few years ago found the shore excursions very informative and interesting, and the whole Seabourn experience wonderful.

I have a friend who is doing the Swan Hellenic cruise in 2013 and she is paying mega bucks for an inside cabin.....three weeks in an inside cabin yikes!!!! I have told her repeatedly about Seabourn, but as she is with friends she has little choice in the matter. I must say the lectures don't hold much appeal for me (or her) and I don't think Seabourn would compare in that matter to Swan Hellenic who always strike me as being very worthy, but of course I have never sailed with them so can't really say, just my impression.

Having done this same cruise a few years ago found the shore excursions very informative and interesting, and the whole Seabourn experience wonderful.

Having travelled with Swan a few times (as well as lots of Seabourn) my comments are that Swan is quite expensive - and drinks etc. are extra - but that it can be worth while if you are going somewhere unusual - we did the Black Sea - as they include the excursions and they are to my mind the best and best organised of any cruise line. However the cabins are pretty small, and the clientele mainly intellectual Brits - including a few rather snooty ones. Obviously this is just one person's opinion, and no doubt I will be shot down in flames.:)

Dear Akpat,

No veranda suites on Pride and only Juliette balconies but according to posts I've read, it is not an issue if you don't have one.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Seabourn. My husband enjoyed the lectures about the varied history of the Caribbean, especially interesting as we live in Spain. He found them interesting and informative. I enjoyed the two I attended.

We also enjoyed the cooking demo, the galley tour, bridge tour & a very interesting seminar on health by the fitness intructor.

You will see various videos of Seabourn & Pride in you search on Youtube.

Have a great trip and please post a report. We are really interested as to whether a cruise gives you long enough in Vietnam ........

Hi lincslady...you really nailed it re swan. We also did the Black Sea cruise...loved the itinerary, pretty good excursions...we were on the Minerva II, which later became a Princess ship. There were about 70 Americans and roughly 300 Brits. We were a little put off at first, but by the end of the cruise everyone was pretty friendly. We were frequently asked about American politics...they seemed quite mystified! We are looking forward to our Seabourn trip and seeing some of SE asia....especially Viet Nam.

Just back from our first Seabourn Quest cruise (Caribbean Nov 23rd - Dec7th).

My husband had not been keen to cruise again but Seabourn have won him round :-)

We thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and inspite of lots of criticism re wine and toiletries, we had no issues at all.

If we didn't like the first wine offered there was always a very acceptable alternative, served with charm.

Toiletries were replaced as required with a complete reserve set in the bathroom cabinet.

Suite fridge was replenished twice daily as required with both still and sparkling water plus any other beer or soft drinks we had consumed.

Our prefereces of single malt Scotch and brandy appeared on our first night.

Heindricks Gin & Chardonnay were delivered by a bar manager when requested for friends we had invited for a pre dinner drink. Delicious prawns, caviar and large cheese plate were also set out with glasses of champagne as we were celebrating our Silver Wedding.

The quality and choice of seafood throughout the cruise and across all reataurants was outstanding.

Room service was also outstanding. Whether it was breakfast or dinner served course by course in our suite!

Any questions .... just ask!

Wishing all the same experience we enjoyed :-)

We just returned from the Sojourn(Buenos Aires to Santiago 11/21-12/5) and were blown away by the service,food and overall experience. We are frequent Regent cruisers but are now reformed Seabourn converts. Granted we seemed to have hit and exceptional group of passengers and the ship was only 50% full but every aspect was just exceptional(except for the fitness classes but that was pretty minor and is a separate vendor)

From the second day on if we walked into a lounge our preferred drinks almost beat us to the table! Whatever we requested was immediately provided with a smile and graciousness. Our suite steward always checked back a couple of times a day to ask if needed anything. room service was extremely prompt and always right.The complmentary wines were marginal (drinkable but not what we"re used to-sorry-i know we can be "wine snobs" at times )but having been warned we brought our own and were never charge the corkage that apparently is policy but not followed. The lectures(Richard Cowley) about the history and the natural wonders of the region were fabulous and enhanced the cruise for everyone. Even the entertainment(Justine Balmer has a magnificent voice) was excellent every night.The officers were very visible and enough cant be said about the job the cruise director,hotel manager,excursion director did to make everything perfect.

We were able to meet virtually every passenger and they all had the same view that this was one of the best cruises/vacations that had even been on and it was an extremely well traveled and educated group from professionals,university presidents,educators, extremely sucessful business people to retired military officers and pilots. . Our table in the dining room grew each night and by the end we were the last table to clear out as we everyone lingered to talk up until show time.

This may have been an anomaly but seemed to be the standard based on discussions we had with seasoned Seabourn cruisers. We will certainly be doing future Seabourn cruises.

I just went through the Seabourn website & watched the video.

Wow.

I must try it some day. It sails to Singapore, where I live. For now, it is out of reach, budget-wise. Also I have young kids. So maybe a decade or two down the road.

Some quick questions:

1) What's the average age of cruisers on Seabourn? E.g. do you see couples in their mid 30s?

2) In terms of food and alcohol, everything is included?

3) Tips are not required, neither are they expected. True?

I just went through the Seabourn website & watched the video.

Wow.

I must try it some day. It sails to Singapore, where I live. For now, it is out of reach, budget-wise. Also I have young kids. So maybe a decade or two down the road.

Some quick questions:

1) What's the average age of cruisers on Seabourn? E.g. do you see couples in their mid 30s?

2) In terms of food and alcohol, everything is included?

3) Tips are not required, neither are they expected. True?

1) The average age is probably early 60s but you do get a good mix of ages and that will include younger couples in their 30s and 40s. In my experience (we are mid-50s) age is never an issue.

2) Everything is included. If you want 'premium' wines and spirits then there is an extra charge. However, we have always found acceptable wine and champagne, single malts and decent brandy which were included.

3) True! We chose to tip our stewardess once as she left the ship mid-cruise. She was delighted because there was no expectation.

Hope this helps.

To the last poster: We have done the Hong Kong to Singapore cruise twice on the "Triplets". Why not consider them. They have been significantly cheaper than the 3 new larger ships and are wonderful. On our last trip we met 3 much younger couples than we and had a blast. We all met at the :Long Bar" at Raffles afterwards. We would have loved to meet 2 "locals." Maxine

Archived