Sugar free desserts - sweetened with what?

curlymason

I was just looking at the menus posted on various threads, and I'm curious - do any of you have any idea what Royal uses to sweeten their sugar free offerings?

The reason I ask is that I'm sensitive to aspartame (it gives me horrible migraines), but I'm trying to eat fairly low sugar when possible for my weight loss goals. Splenda doesn't bother me, so that's my normal option.

Thanks in advance!!

Some of the sugar free desserts are sweetened with Splenda but many are sweetened with sorbitol, malitol or one of the other "ol"-ending sweeteners. DH is a diabetic and is in heaven when we cruise as he can actually have a dessert.

Just be careful of the after-effects of said sweeteners. They taste great BUT, they can cause stomach cramps and worse, if you know what I mean... ;) Remember, everything in moderation. (Google the sweeteners if you need to know).

Thanks so much for that answer!! I can have the sugar alcohol sweeteners, so that's great news. As you said, though, I'll just have to be careful not to eat too much since they can have some not so pleasant after affects.

We asked the head chef about this a few years ago and he told us they use Splenda. This may have changed but you can ask once on board.

Remember for diabetics, it's not about "the sugar"... it's about the carbohydrates in foods, which convert to sugar in the body. Some sugar-free chocolates actually have more carbs per piece than regular chocolate. You have to read your labels. Obviously on vacation or in a restaurant one cannot do this, so common sense and good judgment abounds. One should not fill up on the "sugar free" items thinking they are better for you than the regular desserts. I'm just saying to be careful and enjoy in moderation. :)

Additionally, RCI uses their own brand of sweetener packets, mimicking the blue, pink, and yellow name brands. The yellow brand is the equivalent of Splenda, but if you prefer the name brand you can definitely take your own.

I have not seen Splenda on ship (in fact we take our own for coffee etc.)...

Yes, as noted there is Splenda type but it is generic sucralose and confusingly the brand name of the manufacturer is same as name commonly used for another type (pink Sweet-n-Low?). Look for the ingredient "sucralose" on yellow packet and it will be the same thing as Splenda brand. In Windjammer it is often only available by request but there is usually a bowl of it behind the beverage counter at one end that is easily reachable.

Sucralose tolerates heat better than any other non-caloric sweetner so anything baked would have that. The sugar-alcohol (-itol) products on ther other hand work better in cold or fat containing products (like chocolate). Aspartame is generally used more for beverages or in liquids.

If I am avoiding sugar in desserts I generally opt for plain fruit items with higher fiber or lower glycemic index.

I sometimes order the sugar free desserts just because I like them better than the regular desserts. I could eat the sugar free swan chantilly every night if it was offered.

Jan

I LOVED it. I haven't seen it in years. Have you?

I really wish they'd bring that one back. Although RCI really does have a great selection of sugar free desserts. On Carnival, it was a different color of sugar free cake almost every night.

Gina

Interesting thread as I have to limit sugar also. Is it "true" that RCCL doesn't have splenda packets? EGADS I do not like the pink ones . Guess I'll bring my own.

But then - they have yellow - generic packets which are like splenda? Thanks

Additionally, RCI uses their own brand of sweetener packets, mimicking the blue, pink, and yellow name brands. The yellow brand is the equivalent of Splenda, but if you prefer the name brand you can definitely take your own.

Yes, they have the pink, blue and yellow packets, but read the back of the packets. The yellow is not splenda/sucralose. They are all the same.

Yes, they have the pink, blue and yellow packets, but read the back of the packets. The yellow is not splenda/sucralose. They are all the same.

The last time we cruised, I carefully read the back of each different packet and they were, in fact, different sweeteners. I should have taken a picture. :( Oh well.

Archived