is it crazy to cruise in sept.?

We never do the Carribean or the Eastern seaboard in Sept. Lots of good deals around Halloween when the risk of H is much lower. The big thing isn't missing a port, it's having the H hit the home port. You could get stuck in an airport for days because of cancelled flights. Unless your only option is Aug thru mid Oct to cruise I'd avoid the East coast.

not crazy at all.

we've taken the gamble, and have always won.

the odds are in your favor.

Look at this NOAA chart.

peakofseason.gif

The statistical peak of season is Sept. 10th.

After that date , you're on the steep back-slope of diminishing likelihood of storms.

Therefore: book your cruise anything like Sept. 15th. onward and..

as the guy above said -the odds are in your favor!! ;)

Our 7 day family cruises have always been in september, and yeah we always run a risk, but so far we've never had rough seas. Our first cruise was a western caribbean itinerary, and a hurricane had formed in the area that week, so Carnival switched our itinerary to an eastern caribbean. We still had loads of fun and never even noticed it was hurricane season.

We lost our car to Ike in Galveston on a Sept. cruise. We had ample opportunity to back out but chose to go anyway. The good was that we got a 6 day cruise instead of a 4 day. We returned to New Orleans instead of Galveston. We had cruise insurance, but not cancel for any reason.

Look at this NOAA chart.

peakofseason.gif

After that date , you're on the steep back-slope of diminishing likelihood of storms.

Interesting. Our last cruise was Sept 11 to Bermuda.

Choices were 8 day on Miracle or 7 day on Gem.

Picked Miracle and she went to Bermuda but Gem changed itinerary to Bahamas due to hurricane.icon7.gif

We never do the Carribean or the Eastern seaboard in Sept. Lots of good deals around Halloween when the risk of H is much lower. The big thing isn't missing a port, it's having the H hit the home port. You could get stuck in an airport for days because of cancelled flights. Unless your only option is Aug thru mid Oct to cruise I'd avoid the East coast.

Have you ever actually looked to see how many cruises per year are canceled due to weather? The chances are tiny.:)

Look at this NOAA chart.

peakofseason.gif

pretty scary, except it doesn't tell you where they are. there's a big planet out there!

H. Season will be going on in september. is it too big a risk to go then? whats the sailing like out of jacksonville, fl. out of charleston was a bit rough and we were told that due to the cold fronts that come through more often. i dont even really think that makes sense but thats what we were told by lots of the crew members. said that sailing out of florida might be smoother ride due to warmer southern weather?

Our first cruise was out of Charleston in October. We could not have asked for more perfect weather. It shouldnt be to diff. in September.

I missed a port once on a September cruise - the hurricane blew Costa Maya away and we went to Roatan instead. A fair trade - no one knew much about Roatan then (2007) and we had a great time.

I also missed a port in June - when Carnival changed the itinerary so as not to call in Cozumel due to the H1N1 ('swine') flu scare in '09.

And I missed a port because the ship had to turn around and take an injured passenger to the port we had just left for medical treatment.

So a missed port, as other posters have said, can happen any time for lots of reasons.

September is a great time to cruise.

I didn't take the time to read all responses, so maybe my comments are duplicates.

We have cruised many times in September. You will find good deals for that time. We have missed ports twice in 34 cruises. We have cruised out of Jacksonville twice in September and had wonderful weather.

That being said, I am from Florida (born here) so I handle hurricanes well!

Book. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Shirley

pretty scary, except it doesn't tell you where they are.

there's a big planet out there!

Talk to NOAA about geo-location!

I can tell you that late-season hurricanes (October and later)

tend to form in the Western Caribbean Sea and then toodle around that area

so you may want to book an Eastern -or Victory doing Southern.

We cruise in Sept every year since 2000.

IF there is a hurricane out there-- the captain will redirect the ship elsewhere so your western caribbean cruise may become a bahama cruise or your bahama cruise may become a cruise to canada.

Who knows. Hurricane season runs from May through November but Sept And the end of August is peak season)

this past year the Carnival Pride was a day coming in early-- those people lost a day= and the ship went out to calmer waters before picking up new passengers a day late.

each of those passengers were given back a days price in the cruise

Do NOT book during those months if you will be disappointed in any changes that could occur. Small disappoints over time can make a rather bad cruise.

Sept is a very cheap month to cruise.

Archived