5 Days Alaska tour, is this recommended?

Sheik

ACK!! I looked at several cruisetours and found one that I thought would "cover most of the bases". I hope I was right. It is through Celebrity and it is for 6 days before the cruise. My travel agent told me it would sell out quickly when I booked it last May and it did disappear off Celebrity's website very soon after that so hopefully that is a good sign! ?

Actually I would think if a cruisetour sold out it means pretty much nothing. If it is not a cruisetour I would be interested in, who cares if it sells out? You need to know if any cruisetour spends the time at the places YOU want to spend time at. What is included, especially at Denali? Do you have time to change from the NHT to TWT or from the TWT to a shuttle bus if you want to? Are you spending 1 night in lots of places so that you basically are always "in transit"? I prefer THREE nights in most places when I visit Alaska. That still only gives me two full days in any place.

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire viewpost.gif

We are doing a cruisetour just because for once I'm leaving the planning to someone else (the cruise line). Good for you to do it yourself. I hope you have an awesome trip!:D

ACK!! I looked at several cruisetours and found one that I thought would "cover most of the bases". I hope I was right. It is through Celebrity and it is for 6 days before the cruise. My travel agent told me it would sell out quickly when I booked it last May and it did disappear off Celebrity's website very soon after that so hopefully that is a good sign! ?

Sorry, I stand by my recommendations, of YOU knowing exactly what you have booked and every detail of that particular cruisetour. With your comment, about your travel agent- I will speculate they have very little if any experience in touring Alaska. It matter nothing, if any cruisetour is sold out. The bottom line is the tour package, routing, time and inclusions. With Celebrity- the "must" areas in my opinion for overnights are Denali park- with 2 and Seward 1. If you are at Fairbanks, then add at least another day, with more being even better. You see little of the area otherwise. A car rental is necessary, in my opinion. The major point of any cruisetour is Denali Park- 2 nights are a must, and at the very least, the Tundra Wilderness tour. IF you have that, you are already ahead of most.

Actually I would think if a cruisetour sold out it means pretty much nothing. If it is not a cruisetour I would be interested in, who cares if it sells out? You need to know if any cruisetour spends the time at the places YOU want to spend time at. What is included, especially at Denali? Do you have time to change from the NHT to TWT or from the TWT to a shuttle bus if you want to? Are you spending 1 night in lots of places so that you basically are always "in transit"? I prefer THREE nights in most places when I visit Alaska. That still only gives me two full days in any place.

Sorry, I stand by my recommendations, of YOU knowing exactly what you have booked and every detail of that particular cruisetour. With your comment, about your travel agent- I will speculate they have very little if any experience in touring Alaska. It matter nothing, if any cruisetour is sold out. The bottom line is the tour package, routing, time and inclusions. With Celebrity- the "must" areas in my opinion for overnights are Denali park- with 2 and Seward 1. If you are at Fairbanks, then add at least another day, with more being even better. You see little of the area otherwise. A car rental is necessary, in my opinion. The major point of any cruisetour is Denali Park- 2 nights are a must, and at the very least, the Tundra Wilderness tour. IF you have that, you are already ahead of most.

Thanks....hopefully I did my homework before booking. You are right - just because a cruisetour sells out doesn't mean it is the best by any means. We are only spending 1 night in Denali but we are spending 2 nights in Talkeetna ---- should I look into a rental car for the full day we will be there and go exploring? We might not hit everything we want to....that's OK - it will give us an excuse to go back - and next time I might be brave enough to do it on our own!

Thanks....hopefully I did my homework before booking. You are right - just because a cruisetour sells out doesn't mean it is the best by any means. We are only spending 1 night in Denali but we are spending 2 nights in Talkeetna ---- should I look into a rental car for the full day we will be there and go exploring? We might not hit everything we want to....that's OK - it will give us an excuse to go back - and next time I might be brave enough to do it on our own!

I suggest you look at another cruisetour. Talkeetna is definately NOT a 2 day stop at the expense of Denali Park. Look for a cruisetour with 2 nights at Denali Park- bottom line. That is the highlight area, and no, there is no option for any "car rental" out of Talkeetna.

Again, I suggest you find out about these particular areas you have chosen to include in your cruisetour, and actually, look at others, that would be better choices. It certainly is not too late to make better choices, depending on preferred itineraries.

I suggest you look at another cruisetour. Talkeetna is definately NOT a 2 day stop at the expense of Denali Park. Look for a cruisetour with 2 nights at Denali Park- bottom line. That is the highlight area, and no, there is no option for any "car rental" out of Talkeetna.

Again, I suggest you find out about these particular areas you have chosen to include in your cruisetour, and actually, look at others, that would be better choices. It certainly is not too late to make better choices, depending on preferred itineraries.

With all due respect, I think it is borderline hopeless. A car rental in Talkeetna? Now that is a big :D:D.

Just curious--what activities are available at Talkeetna?

The "major" activity is probably flightseeing McKinley. And with that, I again, will suggest that people - DO their homework. There are big differences on the flight options and more wrong assumptions people make. There usually are purchased coupon offers available, but for a single day cruisetour visitor, acceptance is necessary of flight cancelations, and no opportunity to reschedule. This is particularly so, with Princess, since their lodge is a 2 hour round trip bus transfer away.

Can't help you with tours, but as a resident of Anchorage I wanted to say that you are traveling 2 weeks before Solstice. It won't be dark. At all. You'll probably need your sunglasses the entire time you drive. You won't miss any scenary regardless of the hour.

Good luck finding something that works for you. A drive from Denali to Seward will be long, but very beautiful. When we drive those places with minimal stops I believe it's 8 hours to Denali and 1.5 to Seward.

I have revised my complete itinerary based on your feedback. Can you PLEASE comment on this? Is this a better one? I don't want to rush on Friday, so no tours are planned.

Monday June 11:

Drive from Anchorage to Whittier (Prince William Sound Tour). Stay in Alyeska Resort

Tuesday June 12:

Drive from Girdwood to Talkeetna (flight seeing tour Denali/Mount McKinley) and Glenn Highway to Matanuska Glacier. Overnight in the area

Or is it better to start the flightseeing tour from Anchorage?

Wednesday June 13:

Scenic drive to Seward (incl. Hope/Portage Glacier)

Thursday June 14:

Seward Kenai fjords

Friday June 15:

Exit Glacier and board the ship

I have revised my complete itinerary based on your feedback. Can you PLEASE comment on this? Is this a better one? I don't want to rush on Friday, so no tours are planned.

Monday June 11:

Drive from Anchorage to Whittier (Prince William Sound Tour). Stay in Alyeska Resort

Tuesday June 12:

Drive from Girdwood to Talkeetna (flight seeing tour Denali/Mount McKinley) and Glenn Highway to Matanuska Glacier. Overnight in the area

Or is it better to start the flightseeing tour from Anchorage?

Wednesday June 13:

Scenic drive to Seward (incl. Hope/Portage Glacier)

Thursday June 14:

Seward Kenai fjords

Friday June 15:

Exit Glacier and board the ship

This is very doable but you have some time that is "doing nothing", which for some, could be better used. Your "not rushing Friday" clearly can offer way more unless you are planning on Hiking the Harding icefield?

The problem with your Talkeetna idea, is, you need more time, if your only reason going there is for flightseeing. IF a priority then rethink this timing. Your day is not ideal, if you are also going to do Ice Trekking- which really is a major reason to even consider going to Matanuska. I would move your days to include more of the Mat Su. Hatcher Pass, Eklutna Spirit House Tours, Eagle River Nature Center, Knick Glacier, Wasilla Sled Dog Headquarters, etc etc etc

Same with the "drive" to Seward. Hope is a short stop, consider a raft trip? Gold Panning at Crow Creek Mine, hiking.

My point is, if you are just looking at a "drive" you are missing a lot of interesting areas, not seen from the road. Anchorage is also very worthwhile with all your time, the Coastal Trail is excellent, Native culture gives you a look at history etc etc etc

You are coming a long way, I am only trying to offer you the most advantage ways to take a look at this paradise. :)

Hi all,

We arrive in Anchorage on Sunday evening June 10, the cruise starts in Seward on Friday June 15. I am planning a 5 days tour before we embark the ship. We love to see bears, glaciers, whales. We are no die hard hikers and take an helicopter tour during the cruise. This being said, could you please tell me if my tour is feasible, recommended? Do you have other tips?

Monday June 11: Drive from Anchorage directly to Denali

Tuesday June 12: Tundra Wilderness tour (to see some bears hopefully)

Wednesday June 13: Drive from Denali directly to Seward

Thursday June 14: Seward --> Kenai fjords (6 hours tour)

Friday June 15: Board the ship

I am not happy with the long drive on Wednesday. I think it's a 8 hours drive (including photo stops, lunch). But I need to drive directly to Seward, otherwise I cannot make it on time for the Kenai tour.

Do you have any comments or recommendations on this proposal? Maybe a nice scenic route?

Thank you so much!!!

I would drop Denali. You are devoting 3 of your 5 days to Denali and betting that it will not rain there (we had rain in Denali for 3 days straight), that you will get more than a glimpse of a bear, and that you will see the mountain (highly unlikely). In my book, that is a bad bet.

There is stuff to see outside Anchorage such as Independence Mine State Park and Hatcher Pass and there is also a great museum in Anchorage. As someone else mentioned, you have left out the Sea Life Center in Seward.

Also, it is only 97 miles from Seward to Whittier and even with the delay due to the tunnel and stopping to look at the glacier and the wildlife park, allowing a day to get there is too long.

Hope this helps.

DON

I would drop Denali. You are devoting 3 of your 5 days to Denali and betting that it will not rain there (we had rain in Denali for 3 days straight), that you will get more than a glimpse of a bear, and that you will see the mountain (highly unlikely). In my book, that is a bad bet.

There is stuff to see outside Anchorage such as Independence Mine State Park and Hatcher Pass and there is also a great museum in Anchorage. As someone else mentioned, you have left out the Sea Life Center in Seward.

I disagree, plenty of people with 5 days can definately manage Denali Park and Seward. Both these areas are highlights and very popular priorities. There is no better bargain in all of Alaska for wildlife than Denali Park- which also is a big priority for some Alaska visitors. There is plenty to add along the way if of interest.

Just depends what the particular people select as Their priority for a short visit. This board can offer excellent first hand suggestions and ideas that will come together for a superb itinerary. What it's all about- is it not? :)

One of the main reasons to drop Denali is the way to and from Denali. It's pretty much the same route, and I think Alaska has more to offer. I've seen bears, moose, even lions, elephants etc from 1 meter distance (in Africa), so seeing a bear from a schoolbus in Denali will not be a highlight. I truly believe it's a wonderful environment, but I need to make decisions and dropping Denali to see more of other parts is no shame. :)

I am collecting all of your advice, f.i. Hatcher Pass and Mine State Park is something to consider. We are no hikers, we just want to see lots of the beautiful scenery, make some nice pictures of glaciers, maybe booking a flightseeing tour, visit typical Alaskan sites and so on....It's still very difficult even after so many hours reading Frommers, Tripadvisor etc...

One of the main reasons to drop Denali is the way to and from Denali. It's pretty much the same route, and I think Alaska has more to offer. I've seen bears, moose, even lions, elephants etc from 1 meter distance (in Africa), so seeing a bear from a schoolbus in Denali will not be a highlight. I truly believe it's a wonderful environment, but I need to make decisions and dropping Denali to see more of other parts is no shame. :)

I am collecting all of your advice, f.i. Hatcher Pass and Mine State Park is something to consider. We are no hikers, we just want to see lots of the beautiful scenery, make some nice pictures of glaciers, maybe booking a flightseeing tour, visit typical Alaskan sites and so on....It's still very difficult even after so many hours reading Frommers, Tripadvisor etc...

OK, so wildlife is not your priority. You do, however have the wrong idea about "driving" Alaska, The scenery of Denali Park is significant, along with the transit to get there. There are diffferent views depending on the direction, along with many activities in the area, as well as the Alaska State Parks along the Parks Highway. You already are including Talkeetna in that direction. And it is likely that the Independence Mine will not be open in your timeframe. As I've already noted, I would not go to Talkeetna looking for a narrow timeframe for a flight, you have a good chance of not going. Flights are available out of Anchorage, which could be a better use of time. The Glenn Highway can be spectacular scenery early June, and Hatcher Pass would be open, just not the mine.

The more you look the better you can fine tune your trip, for a fantastic itinerary for YOU. :)

Well wildlife is priority, but I don't want to spend so much time in the car to Denali. Kenai tour on Friday is unfortunately no option for various reasons.

May I ask you why you are not thrilled about the Hatcher Pass?

Ok well...let's see what we can put in the itinerary:

Sunday evening: arrive in Alaska

Monday: Anchorage - Whittier (Prince Williamd Sound)

Tuesday: day to explore beautiful Alaska...but how? :)

Wednesday: day to explore beautiful Alaska...but how? :)

Thursday: Seward Kenai Fjords

Friday: Sea Life, Exit Glacier, Seward, maybe drive to Hope for scenery, board the ship

pfff.....this is hard work :)

Well wildlife is priority, but I don't want to spend so much time in the car to Denali. Kenai tour on Friday is unfortunately no option for various reasons.

May I ask you why you are not thrilled about the Hatcher Pass?

Ok well...let's see what we can put in the itinerary:

Sunday evening: arrive in Alaska

Monday: Anchorage - Whittier (Prince Williamd Sound)

Tuesday: day to explore beautiful Alaska...but how? :)

Wednesday: day to explore beautiful Alaska...but how? :)

Thursday: Seward Kenai Fjords

Friday: Sea Life, Exit Glacier, Seward, maybe drive to Hope for scenery, board the ship

pfff.....this is hard work :)

Your open days= look at Mat Su area or Homer perhaps??? both areas would be within short driving distances.

Not sure about your Hatcher Pass comment?? But, this is simply an hour drive, of which you can ONLY do about 17 miles from the Palmer side. As I mention, the mine may not be open. Your rental contract will only allow you the paved section, so, again, I am not certain you were looking at the entire pass?? It is scenic, and certainly would go together nicely with a Mat Su touring time.

Homer can offer you plenty as well. I suggest you may want to request visitor guides for both areas, http://www.kenaipeninsula.com http://www.alaskavisit.com along with the specific city guides.

I have been to Talkeetna on the way to Denali. IMHO, unless you are going to do a flight out of Talkeetna, it is not worth spending more than 10 minutes in the town - and it takes you longer than that to get from the highway to the town.

Some shops with general crape' merchandise, a few restaurants, and the climbing headquarters for MtMcKinley.

Skip it.

DON

I have been to Talkeetna on the way to Denali. IMHO, unless you are going to do a flight out of Talkeetna, it is not worth spending more than 10 minutes in the town - and it takes you longer than that to get from the highway to the town.

Some shops with general crape' merchandise, a few restaurants, and the climbing headquarters for MtMcKinley.

Skip it.

DON

You have a very valid point. It can be a great meal stop, but I cringe when I see 2 nights here on cruisetours that have only one at Denali. It is a "holding" area in my opinion. And with short time, usually better skipped, or just investing a short stop. It is a 34 mile round trip "detour".

Skip it.

DON

In no way when I posted the link was I condoning spending a lot of time there. The poster asked about what to do.

When people start putting all kinds of conditions and restrictions on itineraries and are uncertain about what they want to do/see it gets very difficult to help them. The best way is to just point them to sources and let them get a feel for what there really is to do.

The Glenn Highway can be spectacular scenery early June, and Hatcher Pass would be open, just not the mine.

LOL, you mean "mine" like cole mine instead of "your opinion". Now I understand :)

At first I also found it hard work to plan as we had a similar feeling about Denali. Eventually I had enough information to make the decisions. We like to take walks and visit cultural and natural areas --there are plenty of opportunities for that along Turnagain Arm and the Glenn Highway. Think about how much time you want to be on your feet and in a car each day. Select places that sound of interest to you. If you decide to go to Matanuska Glacier check out MICA guides and their short glacier trek.

Another guide that I have found useful is at http://www.alaskavisit.com/visitors/request-visitor-guide/

Is Hertz really the only rental company which allows to drop off the rental car in Seward?

If yes, I found a deal, USD 1127,00 from 10 - 15 june for a GMC Yukon class. Is this a good deal or are they more rental companies in Seward?

Archived