5 Days Alaska tour, is this recommended?

Sheik

Is Hertz really the only rental company which allows to drop off the rental car in Seward?

If yes, I found a deal, USD 1127,00 from 10 - 15 june for a GMC Yukon class. Is this a good deal or are they more rental companies in Seward?

Yes Hertz is the only option for a drop in Seward.

Yes Hertz is the only option for a drop in Seward.

OK thanks, then I will book the GMC Yukon. Hope the trunk is large enough to put 4 suitcases in this car. We dont' use the third row though.

Update:

I am quite happy with the itinerary so far. Thanks for your ideas and advice!!

Sunday 10 June.

Arrive 11:30 PM in Anchorage. Pick up GMC Yukon. Stay in Comfort Suites Anchorage.

Monday 11 June:

Drive to Whittier. 6 Hours tour Prince William Sound with Major Marines. Stay in Alyeska Hotel Girdwood.

Tuesday 12 June: Mat-Su Valley scenic drive (Crow Creek Gold Mine, Eagle Reserve, Glenn Highway, Matanuska glacier etc. (tour still in progress). Stay overnight in Palmer, Wasilla or other place in that area.

Wednesday 13 June: To Hatcher pass, Independence Mine, scenic drive back to Seward. Stop at Portage lake or other interesting spots. Stay at Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay for 2 nights (Gatehouse Cabin + Cloud 9 Cabin).

Thursday 14 June: Seward Kenai Fjords, explore Seward

Friday: Explore Seward area, Exit glacier, Sea Life center or a scenic drive. Return rental car at 5.00 PM. Board the ship.

Need to book 1 hotel/lodge on Tuesday, but this is it so far. Think it's a nice introduction of Alaska.

Update:

I am quite happy with the itinerary so far. Thanks for your ideas and advice!!

Sunday 10 June.

Arrive 11:30 PM in Anchorage. Pick up GMC Yukon. Stay in Comfort Suites Anchorage.

Monday 11 June:

Drive to Whittier. 6 Hours tour Prince William Sound with Major Marines. Stay in Alyeska Hotel Girdwood.

Tuesday 12 June: Mat-Su Valley scenic drive (Crow Creek Gold Mine, Eagle Reserve, Glenn Highway, Matanuska glacier etc. (tour still in progress). Stay overnight in Palmer, Wasilla or other place in that area.

Wednesday 13 June: To Hatcher pass, Independence Mine, scenic drive back to Seward. Stop at Portage lake or other interesting spots. Stay at Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay for 2 nights (Gatehouse Cabin + Cloud 9 Cabin).

Thursday 14 June: Seward Kenai Fjords, explore Seward

Friday: Explore Seward area, Exit glacier, Sea Life center or a scenic drive. Return rental car at 5.00 PM. Board the ship.

Need to book 1 hotel/lodge on Tuesday, but this is it so far. Think it's a nice introduction of Alaska.

Not sure where you got "eagle reserve" but there is none. There is a wildlife conseratory near Portage, that some people like, and Eagle River Nature Center- which I have yet to see any eagles at. There is a website, it's hiking mostly.

Yes that's the one I was looking for. Think it's a nice place to stretch our legs. Yesterday I booked the Pioneer Redge in Wasilla. So we decided to stay in the Anchorage area.

Just bought a travelguide about Alaska and Yukon for more information and maps. The pictures in this book are awesome! What a beautiful scenerary! I am also very happy with the accomodations so far.

Now I need to invest some time to explore the tours and options during the cruise.

So glad that you are getting things in order. You will get lots of information on CC about tours during the cruise. We are using Classic Tours in Ketchikan http://www.classictours.com/; Orca Enterprises in Juneau http://www.orcaenterprises.com/; and Chilkoot Charters in Skagway http://www.chilkootcharters.com/yukonrail.htm.

There are many options including the cruise line excursions.

Thanks Alaskanb. Yesterday I booked a car in Skagway. Tried to download Murray but links doesn't work over here. Also booked the Pilot's Choice in Juneau, whalewatchting in Icy Strait Point (G-Wind). Were are getting here ;)

I would follow these instructions on the Murray web page:

Problems? I'm having problems with the Paypal button - if it doesn't work for you, please pop me a note for alternate instructions (that I can't post here).[/b][/color]

It eventually all comes together. :)

Tried to download Murray but links doesn't work over here. Also booked the Pilot's Choice in Juneau, whalewatchting in Icy Strait Point (G-Wind). Were are getting here ;)

These sites are free and may assist with your planning. Lots of useful info if you take the time to look thru these sites:

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondikehwy2.html

http://www.milepost.com/highway_info/so_klondike_highway

I would also encourage you to visit the Alaska forum of www.tripadvisor.com. In the upper right corner under "Top Questions" you'll find a link to the 2011 trip reports. These reports are quite detailed and will provide helpful info on where travelers visited, lodging, excursions, activities, etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k4567194-Trip_Reports_2011-Alaska.html

I would also encourage you to decide on YOUR priorities and do what YOU want to do. Don't be too swayed by the opinions of others. We all have different opinions on what is the 'best' activity or destination or excursion. Do your research and figure out what you want to see and do. There is so much info available on line. Most towns have a web site with loads of visitor information; just google a town's name followed by Visitor Information.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, I stand by my recommendations, of YOU knowing exactly what you have booked and every detail of that particular cruisetour. With your comment, about your travel agent- I will speculate they have very little if any experience in touring Alaska. It matter nothing, if any cruisetour is sold out. The bottom line is the tour package, routing, time and inclusions. With Celebrity- the "must" areas in my opinion for overnights are Denali park- with 2 and Seward 1. If you are at Fairbanks, then add at least another day, with more being even better. You see little of the area otherwise. A car rental is necessary, in my opinion. The major point of any cruisetour is Denali Park- 2 nights are a must, and at the very least, the Tundra Wilderness tour. IF you have that, you are already ahead of most.
Do you know if the Tundra Wilderness tour would still be available on 9/11? Wasn't sure because I read you can't get far into the park after the end of August?

Do you know if the Tundra Wilderness tour would still be available on 9/11? Wasn't sure because I read you can't get far into the park after the end of August?

The shuttle buses run to about mid Sept. you have the wrong information. I never recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour for independent visitors. It goes the least distance at triple the cost compared to the shuttle buses.

In your timeframe, my only choice, would be, Wonder Lake , nothing less.

http://www.gov/dena

• 1 month later...
No matter how you go interior Alaska touring, I only recommend, doing your homework and knowing exactly all the details of any interior Alaska touring. It is very common that people have the wrong assumptions with cruisetours. Never assume that "leaving the planning" to a cruisetour will get you a good tour- there are a LOT of very poor cruisetour itineraries with Princess.

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for June 2013. I usually plan to do all of our touring and sightseeing on our own but am leaning toward doing a cruisetour because of the potential group size we will have, possibly 15 to 20. There will be 7 of us choosing our itinerary and the others can either join us or choose their own and meet up with us for the cruise. I just want our transportation and lodging prearranged and will research the tours which could be independent of the cruise line.

Which itineraries would you classify as "very poor"? We have not determined which cruise line we will use but plan to make that decision shortly after the prices and itineraries come out. We are thinking of 4 or 5 nights pre cruise, most likely 5 nights. Most of what I have read says to plan 2 nights in Denali. We were thinking of starting in Fairbanks (do we need one or two nights) and hoping to get to Kenai Fjords National Park before embarking. Suggestions?

You have to be on board no later then 1 hr. before your ship departs.

Everybody has their own interests and must sees in Alaska. Unless you feel you have to go to Denali, I would skip Denali. There is much to see an do around the southern pennsula. Drive from Anchorage. Stop in Girdwood, Portage, Whittier. Then drive to Seward. Do some reasearch on these citiies and see if there's enough to fill up your 5 days, without running yourself ragged. I think you'll find there is. The point is to enjoy what you do. Not rush around and miss the very thing you came to see! There is still plenty of time to rethink your trip, and plan a more doable itinerary. You won't be disappointed with the scenery.

Archived