Ruby Princess or Grand Princess? San Juan or Grand Turk?

anniebelles

We have been on both, and you really can't go wrong either way. The Grand is older if that matters to you, and the configurations are a bit different. The Grand has one deck less, so about 500 less passengers, we like that, and just recently came out of dry dock. It also has a covered pool area and the Ruby does not.

We have been to Grand Turk, but not San Juan. Really enjoyed Grand Turk, but just got off the ship at the port area and hung out at the pool.

Mike

San Juan is great for historical sites and Grand Turk is great for the beaches. We always rent a golf cart in GT and go all over the island, stopping at Jacks Shack after we turn int he golf cart, for lunch, swimming, and cocktails. I'm partial to the Grand and she just came out of dry dock and has the covered pool. Have a great cruise!!!

OP: When asking a question like this, it would be helpful - if you can't be bothered doing a bit of research - to let us know what you like to do. The port question will vary depending on whether your answer is "scuba dive and lie on the beach" or "visit an old fort, shop, and drink."

OP: When asking a question like this, it would be helpful - if you can't be bothered doing a bit of research - to let us know what you like to do. The port question will vary depending on whether your answer is "scuba dive and lie on the beach" or "visit an old fort, shop, and drink."

A little snarky? Geez, It's post #1!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Anniebelles! Go to the Ports of Call board for information about the different ports and available tours. There are threads that have opinions about the various ships and you can use the search feature for specific questions.

The best way to learn is to read all the threads you can find on the ships and ports you are considering. You can subscribe to anything that is interesting to you by clicking on the thread tools button. There will be a drop down menu that you can select. Those threads will send new messages to your email so you can keep up.

Shepp was right that if you have specific questions, it will be easier to find an answers. FWIW, I did the research and picked Ruby to GT. :) We've been on the smaller ships, so this will be a big change for us. The Ruby has more passengers for the public spaces, but I've read some negatives on the Grand's performance recently that convinced me to choose Ruby.

Good luck!:)

We had to decide between the two also. I have never been on Princess but have been on about 6 other different lines and several more than once. I have been to both Grand Turk and San Juan.

We picked the Ruby. San Juan is kinda crazy. Lots of history but the ship gets in late and stays late. Not much time to really look around. I didn't want to be onshore after dark. We were once and at 5 all the shops shut down, steel doors came down and the cops on the street corners all disappeared. Grand Turk is kinda a tourist trap at the Dock. Its a small island so don't expect much and explore. Its great for snorkling and beaches. Several posts summed both ports up rather well. Id say the edge goes to Grand Turk.

We also chose the Ruby because it left on a Sunday and the Grand leaves on a Sat. We ALWAYS fly in a day before just to make sure we don't have to rush the day of the cruise. With a Sunday off we only had to take a week off instead of an additional Fri also.

I have been on both ships. The Ruby is a much newer ship and larger than the Grand. I really liked the Ruby and its configuration.

I have been to GT twice on a scuba diving trip before the cruise ship port was built. The island is 6 miles long and 1 mile wide. Don't expect a lot beyond the tourist port. This is a tiny island. It does have good snorkeling and scuba diving right off shore and obviously not far from the port.

Grand Turk had a USAF base that was used to track early space shots from Cape Canaveral. When John Glenn became the first US astronaut to circle the earth in Friendship 7, His capsule splashed down near GT and he was brought to GT as his first stop. The radar site on GT has been shut down and is where the port is today. A replica of Friendship 7 is on display at their airport.

I also have been to SJ twice, both times by airplane. The second time I did a cruise out of SJ. The old city is really something to see but it does close down at about 5 or so. Unfortunately the Grand is in SJ basically at night. There is night life there in the bars and clubs. There is a lot of old history there before the US was founded.

It will come down to ports probably.

that was way to harsh and very unwelcoming.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have been on both ships and to both ports and like them all. There really isn't a lot on Grand Turk except for the CCL port facility or if you like to dive or snorkel; that said it is an interesting but rather flat island with lots of white sand that is still rebuilding after a hurricane a few years ago. San Juan, because of its history, architecture and blending of Spanish and American cultures is a much more interesting visit.

Welcome to CC! We'll be on the Ruby in a few weeks (woo hoo) and are looking forward to this particular itinerary. Another resource for you - go to You Tube and search for "Ruby Princess" or "Grand Princess" and watch some of the videos people have uploaded. It's a good way to get to know the particular ships and get some informal perspective from a passengers perspective. Either one - you'll have a great time. Again - welcome to this awesome website (snarky posters notwithstanding). :D

About the size of the ships--I've been on both. The main/only difference in size is for the extra deck of cabins on the Ruby. So you have about 500 more people sharing the same common space. However, Princess' ships do a great job of dispersing people so that I've never found any of the ships too seem crowded.

About San Juan versus Grand Turk--Grand Turk is a nice beach day, but I really prefer the historical sights (mainly the forts) of San Juan. However, the forts are national parks, and do close down at 5 PM. So if you get in with enough time to see the forts before 5 PM, I'd go with San Juan. If you don't, I'd tend towards Grand Turk. While the forts do close down at 5 PM, San Juan's restaurants and nightlife (both fabulous) don't even begin until much later.

Out of the 2 ships I've only been on the Grand. But from what I've heard you really can't go wrong either way.

I've been to both Grand Turk and San Juan. It depends what you want out of the port. If you're looking to relax on the beach, in the sea or by a big pool/Margaritaville/flowrider than Grand Turk is for you. If you want a city with lots of history and culture. It all depends what you want.

For me having been to both I'd pick Grand Turk. It has more fun excursions as well.

Greetings~

We just booked the Ruby, here's why:

The Ruby has the International Cafe - Specialty coffees, hot, iced or frozen. A great place to grab melt in your mouth pastries not found any were else. salads, sand. and desserts, including the amazing chicken salad w/cashews. Best of all.....GELOTO :D

Grand Turk: We've been there before, a ship going there was a plus for us. Nice beaches, good snorkling, and very friendly stingrays. However the one thing not mentioned here is the huge and fantastic JB Margaritaville :p:D:p There is a giant pool with lagoons and seating all around. There is also a Flow-Rider.

As you can see, it was an easy choice for us between the two ships. We been on both and been to both Grand Turk & SJ.

Hope That Helps, Anne

I've been to both ports and personally enjoy San Juan more. As one poster said, although the forts may close at 5, restaurants are still open and we sat at an outdoor table in the evening last time and it was really nice as it was getting dark.

Grand Turk was ok, but after a beach day at Princess Cays; beach at St. Martin; shopping and beach at St. Thomas having something else to do might have been nice.

I know there are other things to do at both St. Martin and St. Thomas, but my friend (her BD, her choice) wanted to parasail and there is a beach I love at St. Thomas so those were the choices we made.

As others have said, it really depends on your tastes and interests.

I have not been on the Grand. Just got off the Ruby, and frankly, based on the service we got I am not anxious to cruise Princess again - it would have to be an incredible deal. I'll stick with Royal Caribbean. JMHO

I've been to both ports and personally enjoy San Juan more. As one poster said, although the forts may close at 5, restaurants are still open and we sat at an outdoor table in the evening last time and it was really nice as it was getting dark.

Grand Turk was ok, but after a beach day at Princess Cays; beach at St. Martin; shopping and beach at St. Thomas having something else to do might have been nice.

I know there are other things to do at both St. Martin and St. Thomas, but my friend (her BD, her choice) wanted to parasail and there is a beach I love at St. Thomas so those were the choices we made.

As others have said, it really depends on your tastes and interests.

I have not been on the Grand. Just got off the Ruby, and frankly, based on the service we got I am not anxious to cruise Princess again - it would have to be an incredible deal. I'll stick with Royal Caribbean. JMHO

jazzlvr - Since the OP is looking for feedback, can you elaborate a bit on your comments about service on the Ruby? Or did you post a review? I'm also curious because I'm boarding her in a few weeks time... Thanks!

Heres's a small detail. The Ruby has the thermal suite (part of the spa, different aroma showers and steamrooms and sauna). I don't believe the Grand does. It's a small point, but if everything else is fairly equal, I would do the Ruby so I could relax in the thermal suite.

We have been on both ships, the Ruby just a few weeks ago. (I wrote a review, but I don't think it is showing yet under members reviews.)

We were on the Grand when it was new, so many years ago now. I loved both ships, but I find it hard not to like any ship that I am on. They probably both have that tricky deck configuration around the dining room in the back of the ship. The way around that is only use the middle or forward elevators, when going to deck 6 or below, unless you are going to the Bottecelli dining room, then use the aft elevators only.

We have been to San Juan many times, and we like walking around Old San Juan, but having just visited Grand Turk for the first time on the Ruby, I can't wait to go again!

The only thing is, it is such a short day there, especially with it being Winter, it gets dark around 5:00PM. Loved being able to shop and snorkel, play in the Ocean, all right by the ship! We also took a tour of the Island, and read the history about the Mercury 7 mission splash down there, and Columbus discovering the island, and saw the old light house. It was a nice tour.

We got to do it all, and at a nice pace.

I hope anniebelles comes back.:) I have not been to GT yet. Will do that on the Ruby in April, 2012:D

I have been to PR a few times. If you want history and do not mind large crowds then it can be a nice day there.

What cruise are you planning for the Ruby? If you are planning April 15 come on over to the roll call. WE don't bite.;)

Archived