Upset with the Royal Caribbean "low-price" guarantee

Isail2011

I'm within two weeks of my cruise. Bought at the last minute. Bought December 11 (night), paid in December 12. Found within an hour, price dropped on other website. They would not do anything for me.

The next day, December 13, 2011, price dropped to $280 less per cabin than I paid, on the same website I booked.

Because of the way their website works, I cannot book two cabins at the same time. My cabins are not together. I have children. I know they are not going to credit me. I asked to put my two cabins together to the similar cabins they were selling at the lower price. Some on board credit would be nice, but if they only gave me the adjacent cabins at the price I paid, I would be OK. Is this too much to ask?! They said that they are going to charge me more for the change.

I am new to this site. The booking experience has been painful. I do not even know who to blame, TA, Cruise Line or myself. You can call me anything, but, this is real.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I would get more info earlier. Because that now they are telling me, the boat is about to sold out. We have nothing to upgrade you. They have a lots of cabins when I first called. The TA suggest that I have this resolved at the pier. I do not know if this is an option at all.

I'm within two weeks of my cruise. Bought at the last minute. Bought December 11 (night), paid in December 12. Found within an hour, price dropped on other website. They would not do anything for me.

The next day, December 13, 2011, price dropped to $280 less per cabin than I paid, on the same website I booked.

Because of the way their website works, I cannot book two cabins at the same time. My cabins are not together. I have children. I know they are not going to credit me. I asked to put my two cabins together to the similar cabins they were selling at the lower price. Some on board credit would be nice, but if they only gave me the adjacent cabins at the price I paid, I would be OK. Is this too much to ask?! They said that they are going to charge me more for the change.

I am new to this site. The booking experience has been painful. I do not even know who to blame, TA, Cruise Line or myself. You can call me anything, but, this is real.

Thanks for all the replies. I wish I would get more info earlier. Because that now they are telling me, the boat is about to sold out. We have nothing to upgrade you. They have a lots of cabins when I first called. The TA suggest that I have this resolved at the pier. I do not know if this is an option at all.

you should have worked with someone (TA or RCL) on the phone who could have booked your cabins next to each other. A lesson learned.

What ship, date and category cabin did you book?

Although it has been said by many others on this thread:

Royal Caribbean did nothing wrong! They cannot help you, even a "little bit" as you state. Does not matter if it is a request for a price drop, to move to a different cabin, anything. Any modifications to your booking must go through the TA you booked with. This would be the same no matter what cruise line or what TA you booked with.

You got involved with a bad online travel agency, pure and simple.

Got it?

Isail, I hope this helps clarify the issues, but please correct me where I've made a bad assumption:

You booked your cruise on a Travel Agency website, not through Royal Caribbean's website;

The Travel Agency website published a reduced the fare the next day;

If these are both true, then Royal Caribbean has no power or control over the outcome. The price guarantee only applies to fares published on RCI's website, so if your TA reduced their prices in an effort to sell out the block of rooms they purchased/held from Royal, then the only ones who can decide whether you get the drop are the folks at the TA - RCI isn't in that loop at all.

However, if you booked through a TA at the same price that was on the RCI site at the time you booked, and RCI reduced their price the next day (unless it was an RCI Tuesday sale - those don't qualify for changes to any existing bookings), then the TA should have been able to get the reduction from RCI.

If you booked (or live) outside of north america, it's all a moot point, since the guarantee only applies to north america bookings.

I'm a first time Royal Caribbean customer. I booked my cruise yesterday. Found a lower price for the same ship, same sailing, and same category of cabins within an hour of booking. They will not lower my price or give me any on board credit. Today, I found the price drop again. I called them again. They have a “48 hours best price guaranty”. I'm very upset that they push me around and not honoring the promise. RCL told me that since I booked through a website, the travel agent of that site will be able to help me. The travel agent told me that RCL will not allow them to give me any credit or upgrade. They are not even willing to move my two cabins next to each other. I have the proof that they have the cabins available and selling at a lower price. Although I caught them selling the same cabin at a lower price within 48 hours of my booking, twice!!!, I was told that I'm stucked with the high fare I paid. I would like to know if anybody has the same experience. How could you resolve this? Any feedback or ideas is greatly appreciated.

:mad:

Honestly be upset with your TA not RC.Had you chosen to book directly with RC, well never mind you didn't...Happy cruising ..K.O. near Philly:)

Isail, I hope this helps clarify the issues, but please correct me where I've made a bad assumption:

You booked your cruise on a Travel Agency website, not through Royal Caribbean's website;

The Travel Agency website published a reduced the fare the next day;

If these are both true, then Royal Caribbean has no power or control over the outcome. The price guarantee only applies to fares published on RCI's website, so if your TA reduced their prices in an effort to sell out the block of rooms they purchased/held from Royal, then the only ones who can decide whether you get the drop are the folks at the TA - RCI isn't in that loop at all.

However, if you booked through a TA at the same price that was on the RCI site at the time you booked, and RCI reduced their price the next day (unless it was an RCI Tuesday sale - those don't qualify for changes to any existing bookings), then the TA should have been able to get the reduction from RCI.

If you booked (or live) outside of north america, it's all a moot point, since the guarantee only applies to north america bookings.

Don't count on any of your (assumptions)questions getting answered by the OP. That is not how this thread has been going........lol those answers are top secret.

Like ship and sail date? not a tough question is it?

Jimbo:)

Yes. I booked through a website other than the RCL site. Yes. I went to the website (TA) first for help and got no help. The TA at the website says that it is not them. They can not do anything. It is RCL will not allow them to do anything. The final suggestion was, you can talk to RCL at the pier. I knew that it will be too late to talk to anybodya at the pier. It is already late now. They sold their lower price cabins. So, I paid a very high price for a product, both the cruise line and the website says they have the "best price" guarantee. Thanks again for all the replies.

I should not let the TA push me and event talk to the cruise line myself. I was put on hold by the cruise line people several times. They transfered me between department. If they'd told me that they can not help me at all, I would just not bothering them. I should also insist to cancel and rebook. The TA told me that if I cancel and rebook at a lower price, if the cruise line found out, they are going to charge me higher price. I wanted to make sure I can cancel before I book the new one. By wasting all the time, I found out that I might be able to cancel at the first time found they have lower fare. Now it is too late. I was counting on them to resolve the issues for me. Inexpericend here. Do not know what to do. Do not know any good TA. Just booked at random website. Feel bad myself.

I'm not sure why I bothered wasting my time reading this whole thread. If the OP wanted help, they came to the right place. Obviously they don't really want help, since they can't even answer the questions from the very nice people trying to help them. What is the big secret about the ship and sail date? You can't post the name of the agency here anyway, so no one really cares about that. We just want the simple facts so we can make suggestions. Here is mine - don't bother going on the cruise. Your vacation is already ruined. Stay home.

Dear OP - I want to thank you as well. I also booked a cruise on Monday sailing on Monarch 1/23. Price dropped this morning (military rate) and when I called they gladly gave me my $70 OBC. So thank you for reminding me about the Best Price Guarantee.

Your TA sucks. End of story.

If you are not a toll, I sympathize. Sometimes it's hard for a newbie to understand the all these rules at once that somet veterans take for granted. If you happen to get a deadbeat TA with mile long small prints stating their intricate change and cancellation policies, which has nothing to do cruise line policies, you are bound to run into frustration.

Unless you tell us the name of the ship, your sail date, the category you booked, and the category that was priced lower, we don't have enough information to go on. If you don't give us enough information to be able to offer suggestions, information, advice, what is the point of you posting? Just letting off steam?

First, if you need 2 cabins next to each other, WHY would you book 2 rooms knowing they weren't next to each other? If the website you were working on won't allow you to book 2 rooms next to each other, why didn't you call them? And if you weren't able to call them, shouldn't that have been a signal that maybe this wasn't the company to work with? If you book directly with Royal Caribbean, they are available 24/7 to assist you with your reservation. If you book through a TA, RCCL CAN'T make changes to your reservation unless those changes are requested by the TA. They are under contract with the TAs, providing the TA with ownership of the reservations. Maybe you didn't understand that. I'm sure a lot of people don't.

Secondly, I think you, the TA, and RCLL were all speaking a different language. The Best Price Guarantee means that if you see a lower price for the same ship, sailing date, and CATEGORY (M, G, D1, etc.,) within 48 hours of final payment, you can get 110% of that difference applied to your reseration as on-board credit. You can't get a refund after final payment. I think RCCL was trying to explain how to take advantage of the OBC, while your TA was just thinking "refund"; however, your TA should have gone over how the Best Price Guarantee works after final payment for the OBC. If they didn't do that, they are lazy or ignorant (or both).

It is probably too late to do anything about it at this time. Were you happy with the price and the rooms when you booked them? If not, you shouldn't have booked them. If you were, don't let the fact that you MAY have missed out on some onboard credit "ruin" your trip, then instead of missing out on some OBC, you've basically wasted ALL of your money. And if your attitude affects everyone else, then you will have "ruined" their vacation as well.

My guess is that the reduced rate was for a category that you weren't actually booked in, such as a "guarantee", in which you wouldn't even be able to pick the deck, much less the rooms.

Unless you provide some concrete information, we don't have much to go on.

The TA made me to believe that the cruise line is the problem, not them. I believed them.

Do you still believe them after all these experienced cruisers here have told you that it is not RCCL's fault and there is nothing RCCL can/could have done for you?

The TA told me that if I cancel and rebook at a lower price, if the cruise line found out, they are going to charge me higher price.

Finally something makes sense. It really sounds like this was a Tuesday special for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. Because that is true if you canceled and rebooked at the New bookings only rate they could trace that back and charge you the first rate you originally booked at.

All you have to do is give us the name of the ship and the sailing date and we all can check the list of those Tuesdays special rates since that list is still available to look at.

Please name the ship and the sail date?????????????????

You mentioned children are in one cabin. Are these children young? If so, you will have a problem if your current cabins aren't right close together. If this is the case, you definitely need to call the TA back and get this cleared up. I've always had to put my boys (when they were younger) either across the hall or next door when we sailed. This is a topic NOT to be ignored or you will have issues when boarding.

For goodness sake, don't let it ruin your cruise. If you are a cruise virgin, we've all had to learn as we go. Go and have fun. :)

Rcl Jewel of the seas, December 24.Thanks!

Its right there on Page 2 and that is why rccl or your travel agent couldn't do anything because it was for new bookings only.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Problem was you either booked this cruise on Sunday or Monday.......sad part is the travel agency had this list most likely Thursday or Friday and should have known to wait to book you on Tuesday the December 13th when these prices went into effect for new bookings only.

What category cabins did you book because you might be able to move the 2 cabins closer together depending what is available.

I can understand now how upset you are since this is a Holiday Cruise( Christmas) you most likely paid close to $1100 per person when you could have paid around $600 per person........For the 4 of you you could have saved $2000, a nice chunk of change.

The travel agency you booked with really dropped the ball on this one.

Sorry

I'm a first time Royal Caribbean customer. I booked my cruise yesterday. Found a lower price for the same ship, same sailing, and same category of cabins within an hour of booking. They will not lower my price or give me any on board credit. Today, I found the price drop again. I called them again. They have a “48 hours best price guaranty”. I'm very upset that they push me around and not honoring the promise. RCL told me that since I booked through a website, the travel agent of that site will be able to help me. The travel agent told me that RCL will not allow them to give me any credit or upgrade. They are not even willing to move my two cabins next to each other. I have the proof that they have the cabins available and selling at a lower price. Although I caught them selling the same cabin at a lower price within 48 hours of my booking, twice!!!, I was told that I'm stucked with the high fare I paid. I would like to know if anybody has the same experience. How could you resolve this? Any feedback or ideas is greatly appreciated.

:mad:

I agree, I have found similar issues with RCCL. Other than Carnival's Early Saver Rates though where they will honor a lower rate, I don't think too many cruiselines these dates give you anything when you find a lower price. Personally, I feel if they aren't gonna do any onboard credit offers for the price difference than they should at least upgrade those that did book at a higher price if you catch it. I tried to get a lower price three days after final payment was made back in October and they wouldn't budge on anything either even as a platinum member. :(

Thanks again for all of you. I booked on Sunday night/Monday morning. The rate kept going up. I was scared and book around 12:00AM on Sunday. I found a lower fare on Monday, not even a sale fare, much lower than I paid. I called my TA. On hold for a while, was told that you can go ahead book that one and cancel this one. The problem is when I clicked the book button on the other web site, the cabins are gone!!! They then told me, too bad, that one is not bookable. They tried to get me something. They told that they were working on it and will call me after 5. I call them around 5:30. They said the cruise line will not do anything for me, because the fare I saw is not bookable now. There is no cabins to upgrade me to or even to move mine together. The boat is full. The next day, yesterday, I found out again, they are selling the same cabins at a much lower price!!! They did have the same level of adjacent cabins or one level upgrade cabins available at the second fare drop. More than 10 of them!!! They once again refuse to do anything. Not even a one grade upgrade to move my cabins togather. I was transferred , on hold between the TA and the cruise line. On hold for hours. The answer, they will move my cabins, but will charge me more. There was much lower bookable fares for those cabins at the time. I already paid much more than they were selling. I am not happy with the way they treat me. Now I paid a much higher price than most of the people, my children have to stay a cabin 8 cabins down the hall. There is no justice! I did not even ask for refund. Only asked for upgrade or move the cabin together at the same level. Some on board credit would be nice, did not expect much. If they did offer me anything, I will end up spending more on board. Now knowing that I paid double the price for the same cabin than people booked hours after I paid, I will not spend any money on board. (I made my payment Monday morning, found lower fare couple of hours later).

Thanks again for your patience in reading this and your understanding of my frustration.

Thanks again for all of you. I booked on Sunday night/Monday morning. The rate kept going up. I was scared and book around 12:00AM on Sunday. I found a lower fare on Monday, not even a sale fare, much lower than I paid. I called my TA. On hold for a while, was told that you can go ahead book that one and cancel this one. The problem is when I clicked the book button on the other web site, the cabins are gone!!! They then told me, too bad, that one is not bookable. They tried to get me something. They told that they were working on it and will call me after 5. I call them around 5:30. They said the cruise line will not do anything for me, because the fare I saw is not bookable now. There is no cabins to upgrade me to or even to move mine together. The boat is full. The next day, yesterday, I found out again, they are selling the same cabins at a much lower price!!! They did have the same level of adjacent cabins or one level upgrade cabins available at the second fare drop. More than 10 of them!!! They once again refuse to do anything. Not even a one grade upgrade to move my cabins togather. I was transferred , on hold between the TA and the cruise line. On hold for hours. The answer, they will move my cabins, but will charge me more. There was much lower bookable fares for those cabins at the time. I already paid much more than they were selling. I am not happy with the way they treat me. Now I paid a much higher price than most of the people, my children have to stay a cabin 8 cabins down the hall. There is no justice! I did not even ask for refund. Only asked for upgrade or move the cabin together at the same level. Some on board credit would be nice, did not expect much. If they did offer me anything, I will end up spending more on board. Now knowing that I paid double the price for the same cabin than people booked hours after I paid, I will not spend any money on board. (I made my payment Monday morning, found lower fare couple of hours later).

Thanks again for your patience in reading this and your understanding of my frustration.

You may have paid more than some people but then you probably paid less then others. I might continue the arguement with the ta, however, I would just go on the cruise and have a great time.

Archived