Fist Fight over Seats in the Showroom

I recall a few years back that RCI had crew dressed as characters just hanging out in the theater before the start of the show. They had microphones and were joking with passengers. If they caught you saving seats, they would identify you to the audience and embarrass you. We saw it on two cruises then never again. It seemed to be a good way to politely keep people honest.

I was on that cruise and thought it was a great idear.

I have never understood why anyone would agree to be the saver of seats for a large group and waste their time and sanity to do it. Why should your family and friends be off enjoying themselves and doing their own thing, while your trying to save a bunch of seats for them. Groups should be considerate of their members and all show up together or split up and fend for themselves.

Groups should be considerate of their members and all show up together if they want to sit together.

I could not agree more! I've worked for years as a manager for a major wholesaler and cannot believe what people feel they are entitled to. It blows my mind how beyond reason some people can be!

I have been a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 28 years . You would be amazed what some people call "an emergency " :(

I almost forgot to mention this. We were on the Freedom of the Seas over Thanksgiving and one of the nights in the main show room there was a couple of people trying to save a whole row of seats. A lot of people commented to them that they can't do that but continued on to find other seats. A while before the show started a couple said to these people that they couldn't save seats and pushed past the man and sat down. A fist fit started and soon there were passengers and crew and security personal pulling the people apart. Can you believe people would actually come to blows over a seat in a show? Crazy.

Should I bring a bodyguard with us if we want to go to a show onboard?:confused:

This is all about manners, common sense, and treating people like you would want to be treated. Saving a row of seats is beyond common sense. The cruise ships need to enforce their rules - no children in adult pool; adult only activities; and seat saving to name a few. And customers need to respect the rules and one another.

And especially NO swim diapers in the pool!

I can understand saving one extra seat for a spouse or friend but not anymore than that. RCI needs to do a better job in this area. It wouldn't take much to place four to six ushers throughout all levels of the theater to stop this. Of course we all know that it will not change unless someone gets hurt in one of these altercations.

Just a heads up to anyone who is planning on saving a large quantity of seats...it's really not worth the trouble. Just tell the rest of your party that if they want to get good seats, then get there early and if they don't want to do that, then sit where they may. On a recent Allure cruise we saw Blue Planet on the second formal night. There was a couple in front of us trying to save 6 seats for 3 other couples. They were both dressed formally (gown and tux) and it was painful watching them try and fend off people for a half hour. When their "friends" showed up, they were all dressed in shorts and t-shirts. They'd obviously all gone back to the cabin, changed to casual wear and done God knows what else while these 2 folks were trying to hold down the row in the Amber Theater. Make it easy for yourself...tell your friends to show up with you or sit where they can!

Point at them and laugh.

Afterwards' date=' they should be asked to walk the plank, because morons don't belong on vacations with normal people.[/quote']

Not a bad idea, or take a picture. When I was on Allure I had some fun and took pictures of chair hogs and posted them here. The thread got taken down, but in this internet age where if your pants split in the mall you can expect it to be on youtube in 10 minutes, people might be more self conscious of their actions if they are photographed. ;)

Not a bad idea, or take a picture. When I was on Allure I had some fun and took pictures of chair hogs and posted them here. The thread got taken down, but in this internet age where if your pants split in the mall you can expect it to be on youtube in 10 minutes, people might be more self conscious of their actions if they are photographed. ;)

That was a great thread! I still remember some of the dumb looks on their faces. :D

I almost forgot to mention this. We were on the Freedom of the Seas over Thanksgiving and one of the nights in the main show room there was a couple of people trying to save a whole row of seats. A lot of people commented to them that they can't do that but continued on to find other seats.

I'll bet no one would have commented if the couple had just laid towels over the row of seats. Then they would have known that they were reserved!

All these chair hog , showroom seat hog stories make me laugh.

Reminds me of years ago when I was single . I had an apartment in a house right on the main street in the center of town. Small New England town green with the big lawn with the big gazebo and band shell and all that.

Every 4th of July they would have a big parade that went through the main street past all the big old houses and then there would be a big fair with concerts on the green.

Kind of corny, but in a small town its a big deal and everyone comes out.

The night before the big parade , all the people along the parade route would rope off the grassy area between the side walk and the curb in front of their house and put out their picnic tables and chairs and "NO TRESPASSING" signs .

One family had the kids sleep in a pup tent out there so they could chase away anyone who might try and put a chair on their little reviewing stand *LOL*

There was actually a fist fight one year between 2 men in their 70s becase one guy put his chair on this guys space.

Again this was some hinky dinky hometown parade , not the red carpet at the Oscars .

Some people are too much

Person #1 should not have been saving a whole row of seats. One or two is okay while someone goes to the restroom or gets a drink. A whole row is NOT okay. Person #2 should have alerted personnel and let them take care of it, instead of taking matters into his own hands (excuse the pun :p). Sadly, I'm not surprised something like this happened..

1. Just go to the bathroom BEFORE you enter the show lounge/theater.

2. Get your drinks BEFORE you enter the show lounge/theater.

3. Since no one can possibly be late because they were stuck in traffic, if you do #1 and #2, there should never be a need to save a seat for anyone.

If you are too lazy or stupid to do the above, you don't deserve a seat in the first place.

3. Since no one can possibly be late because they were stuck in traffic, if you do #1 and #2, there should never be a need to save a seat for anyone.

If you are too lazy or stupid to do the above, you don't deserve a seat in the first place.

Yikes, that's a little harsh.

Explain ..... how either of the above would make someone "lazy":confused:

Just a heads up to anyone who is planning on saving a large quantity of seats...it's really not worth the trouble. Just tell the rest of your party that if they want to get good seats, then get there early and if they don't want to do that, then sit where they may. On a recent Allure cruise we saw Blue Planet on the second formal night. There was a couple in front of us trying to save 6 seats for 3 other couples. They were both dressed formally (gown and tux) and it was painful watching them try and fend off people for a half hour. When their "friends" showed up, they were all dressed in shorts and t-shirts. They'd obviously all gone back to the cabin, changed to casual wear and done God knows what else while these 2 folks were trying to hold down the row in the Amber Theater. Make it easy for yourself...tell your friends to show up with you or sit where they can!

My thoughts exactuly.

All these chair hog , showroom seat hog stories make me laugh.

Reminds me of years ago when I was single . I had an apartment in a house right on the main street in the center of town. Small New England town green with the big lawn with the big gazebo and band shell and all that.

Every 4th of July they would have a big parade that went through the main street past all the big old houses and then there would be a big fair with concerts on the green.

Kind of corny, but in a small town its a big deal and everyone comes out.

The night before the big parade , all the people along the parade route would rope off the grassy area between the side walk and the curb in front of their house and put out their picnic tables and chairs and "NO TRESPASSING" signs .

One family had the kids sleep in a pup tent out there so they could chase away anyone who might try and put a chair on their little reviewing stand *LOL*

There was actually a fist fight one year between 2 men in their 70s becase one guy put his chair on this guys space.

Again this was some hinky dinky hometown parade , not the red carpet at the Oscars .

Some people are too much

put out their picnic tables and chairs

They do this in Boston to save a space for their car in the winter time.

With the exception of small children sitting with a parent or adult, or a handicapped or special needs person being with their companion. What is the overwhelming need to have to sit together at a show ?

You are there to see the show, when it starts they turn the lights off and you are there to watch what is going on on stage.

You really need to have 4 generations of family along side you to do this ?

put out their picnic tables and chairs

They do this in Boston to save a space for their car in the winter time.

Same here in Md. Wonder if it's just an east coast thing?

Thankfully we moved from the city years ago. We are now very happy to have our own parking spots via the driveway.:D

Archived