Fist Fight over Seats in the Showroom

I almost forgot to mention this. We were on the Freedom of the Seas over Thanksgiving and one of the nights in the main show room there was a couple of people trying to save a whole row of seats. A lot of people commented to them that they can't do that but continued on to find other seats. A while before the show started a couple said to these people that they couldn't save seats and pushed past the man and sat down. A fist fit started and soon there were passengers and crew and security personal pulling the people apart. Can you believe people would actually come to blows over a seat in a show? Crazy.

I am not at all suprised this did happen with the manners of people today and the way You see them carry on even at grocery stores or parking lots. This almost happened to us about 20yrs ago when We first started to cruise. I was so in Love with the whole idea of crusing and was happy go lucky,not a care in the world. We were told there would be no saving of seats in the Main shows. So when We got into the Main showroom, My Hubby and me went to sit down, there were at least 20 empty seats all next to each other and we walked in about 7 chairs and sat down and the man holding the seats jumped up and started cursing at my hubby to get out of these seats they were his. Then one thing lead to another and We were so embarrassed by it all. It wasn't our fault but everyone was looking at us. I was mortified and My hubby felt so bad for me. A lovely couple off to the side came down the aisle and got us and We sat with them. In the meantime, the ushers heard all about it and took the man out finally. Today there are no ushers but back in late 90's there were and they seated you most of the time. How terrible for you to have to see this on you vacation. IKE

Just read another thread a few days ago about seat saving and fist fights in the entertainment venues on RRCL ships. We have seen issues on past cruises and are anticipating similar issues the coming week on Allure as it is sailing full and entertainment has been filled for 2 weeks now.

Is there some reason they cannot issue tickets for assigned seats on these ships? You could be issued a seat when you pre-book and if you don't show, they can still have the 'stand by' line. It seems it would just make things so much less stressful when trying to get a seat. You wouldn't have to show up 45 minutes early to get into a show and find a good seat.

Am I missing some obvious reason RCCL won't assign seats to their shows or are they missing a solution to a problem?

When I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2008, the activity staff were scattered about the theater enforcing the "no seat saving" rule. They were seating people like ushers do. They also asked people to move over if they sat down leaving one or two empty seats between parties. It was really wonderful!

(Of course, if someone needed to use the rest room, they allowed someone else in their party to hold the seat for a few minutes.)

But who is to blame , the people saving seats , or the people who want the seat?

Who is wrong, the bank robber or the people that have the money in the bank? Can you seriously ask this question? Its certainly not RC's fault, but with them creating the mega ships and putting more poeple on a ship than can fit at a single performance, they are certainly exasperating things.

a couple of years ago, this happened to us, we entered the theater, wanted to sit in a "row" of about 8 seats that were being saved because they were great seats and only the balcony on the sides had some free seats. Anyway, my husband and my friends husband said lets go and sit there. We watched as the man kept telling people they could not sit there so when my hubby arrived he and our friend sat right in the middle of the 8 seats to the mans protest and there was nothing he could do. It was hilarious:D He then went up into the far left balcony and saved about 4 or 5 seats!

Same thing happen to us. We were on the Radiance, we went to sit down in the 3rd row center 35 or 40 minutes before the show, a man said he was saving the seats for his family ( 12 seats ), I explained no saving of seats. When part of his party showed up 5 minuets before the show they ask us to move and I said no, so they had to sit in different spots. The mother ended up sitting in front of us in row 2 and turned, said to me “You ruined our vacation”, I said not mine. All the people around us applauded……….

We use to show up for shows 45 minutes early and while seated would get frustrated watching those seat savers and those who couldn't get a decent seat because of this. Now we show up to the reserved suite area at the last minute. As the show starts they remove the barrier and let anyone sit. We get to enjoy a drink in the lounge before the show now, not waste 45 minutes and get prime seats. Usually this area is empty. I think once we had to sit apart.

Sometimes I travel with extended family so there is a group of 6-8 of us. My mom is in a wheelchair and it's very hard to get seating together in the theater because of the limited number spaces available for wheelchair users. Most of the time we get to the theater at least 30 minutes before the show starts. If we want drinks and the bar waiters haven't started serving yet, one or two members of our party will go to the bar the bring back drinks for the others. I wouldn't save a whole row a seats, but I don't really see an issue with saving one or two seats in the middle of our group for the ones getting drinks or going to the restroom before the show starts.

I was with my husband a couple weeks ago on Liberty. Bar service was really slow in the theater. You practically had to jump up and down to get a waiter's attention. My husband decided to get a beer from the bar outside while I waited with our seats. The theater was not very crowded at the time. Another couple walked in and the man sat in the seat that my husband had been in. I told him that my husband had been sitting there but he said, "So?" I was a bit miffed since there were many other empty seats in the surrounding area but I know it is his right to take any unoccupied seat. I got up and moved to another seat.

I guess I fit into the rude cruiser bin. I don't see anything wrong with saving a seat or two for other members of a group, especially if the theater is not crowded, but saving more than a couple seats seems excessive to me. I understand this is a black & white issue so even saving one seat is not allowed. Unless there weren't any other available seats, I wouldn't sit in a seat that someone told me was saved.

I'm not going to fight anyone over a saved seat. However, if someone does plop down in a single seat in the middle of my group, I may make it a point to lean around and talk to the family member on the other side of them in hopes of making the person uncomfortable enough to move voluntarily.

Is it the times that have changed or just the overall attitude of our "entitlement" generation.:confused:

I don't see any mention of what age the offenders were in this case. I am 31 so didnt grow up in "the good old days", but I was raised properly so have manners and respect for others. To blame this behaviour on times changing takes no account of the fact that there are just as many obnoxious people in their 50's are there are in their 20's. On a ship full of people I am guessingyou will find examples of both.

I am 31 so didnt grow up in "the good old days", but I was raised properly so have manners and respect for others. To blame this behaviour on times changing takes no account of the fact that there are just as many obnoxious people in their 50's are there are in their 20's.

Agreed. I am also in my 30s and the one and only fist fight I saw in a cruise ship theater was between two men in their upper 40s/lower 50s.

When I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2008, the activity staff were scattered about the theater enforcing the "no seat saving" rule. They were seating people like ushers do. They also asked people to move over if they sat down leaving one or two empty seats between parties. It was really wonderful!

That is great. This is something RCI needs to start doing.

Same thing happen to us. We were on the Radiance, we went to sit down in the 3rd row center 35 or 40 minutes before the show, a man said he was saving the seats for his family ( 12 seats ), I explained no saving of seats. When part of his party showed up 5 minuets before the show they ask us to move and I said no, so they had to sit in different spots. The mother ended up sitting in front of us in row 2 and turned, said to me “You ruined our vacation”, I said not mine. All the people around us applauded……….

Good for you....

Sometimes I travel with extended family so there is a group of 6-8 of us. My mom is in a wheelchair and it's very hard to get seating together in the theater because of the limited number spaces available for wheelchair users. Most of the time we get to the theater at least 30 minutes before the show starts. If we want drinks and the bar waiters haven't started serving yet, one or two members of our party will go to the bar the bring back drinks for the others. I wouldn't save a whole row a seats, but I don't really see an issue with saving one or two seats in the middle of our group for the ones getting drinks or going to the restroom before the show starts.

I was with my husband a couple weeks ago on Liberty. Bar service was really slow in the theater. You practically had to jump up and down to get a waiter's attention. My husband decided to get a beer from the bar outside while I waited with our seats. The theater was not very crowded at the time. Another couple walked in and the man sat in the seat that my husband had been in. I told him that my husband had been sitting there but he said, "So?" I was a bit miffed since there were many other empty seats in the surrounding area but I know it is his right to take any unoccupied seat. I got up and moved to another seat.

I guess I fit into the rude cruiser bin. I don't see anything wrong with saving a seat or two for other members of a group, especially if the theater is not crowded, but saving more than a couple seats seems excessive to me. I understand this is a black & white issue so even saving one seat is not allowed. Unless there weren't any other available seats, I wouldn't sit in a seat that someone told me was saved.

I'm not going to fight anyone over a saved seat. However, if someone does plop down in a single seat in the middle of my group, I may make it a point to lean around and talk to the family member on the other side of them in hopes of making the person uncomfortable enough to move voluntarily.

I don't think that this is a problem (saving one or two seats for a family member who ran to the bar or rest room).

The issue is when one or two people save an entire block of seats.

While I don't think they need to go so far as assigned seats for everything, RC does need to assign ushers to the theaters, to make sure that everyone is getting seated -- without any issues. Think about it -- when was the last time you went to a show that you paid for that there weren't ushers to help people find their seats? RC knows that their entertainment venues have become a free-for-all, and they allow the problems to continue. :rolleyes:

Royal is to blame for not enforcing their no seat saving policy.

Absolutly.

I read so many threads here on many hot topics where someone has internet muscles and talk how they would tell that person a thing or two. I laugh because most of the time-it would not happen in real life. Everyone knows that all it takes is once to try and be a rule enforcer, that you meet up with someone that will take your demand to a level your really did not see coming. Royal has to step up and take control. Never let the inmates run the prison!!!:D

A couple of years ago on the Freedom there was a extremely dangerous situation with one hot headed OP savings some 10 chaise chairs by the pool. After a couple of hours with vrs. OPs asking if the seats were available and getting a negative response the Ops went about finding other seats. Then a lady and her husband came by and sat down on two of the reserved seats--You should have seen the scene between the guy saving seats and the lady. I thought or sure the guy was going to punch the lady in the face, however, security came by and restored order. The husband and wife retained the seats.

Sometimes I travel with extended family so there is a group of 6-8 of us. My mom is in a wheelchair and it's very hard to get seating together in the theater because of the limited number spaces available for wheelchair users. Most of the time we get to the theater at least 30 minutes before the show starts. If we want drinks and the bar waiters haven't started serving yet, one or two members of our party will go to the bar the bring back drinks for the others.

Thats not quite the saving of seats as some people are talking about, but clearly it could look that way. On a related note, RC could do a better job labeling, or even allowing reserved seats around handicapped areas. On Allure there were seats with empty areas next to them where you could put a wheel chair.

To me it was obvious as to what it was, but I saw people using these all the time so they could have two seats together and not have someone right next to them.

Just read another thread a few days ago about seat saving and fist fights in the entertainment venues on RRCL ships. We have seen issues on past cruises and are anticipating similar issues the coming week on Allure as it is sailing full and entertainment has been filled for 2 weeks now.

Is there some reason they cannot issue tickets for assigned seats on these ships? You could be issued a seat when you pre-book and if you don't show, they can still have the 'stand by' line. It seems it would just make things so much less stressful when trying to get a seat. You wouldn't have to show up 45 minutes early to get into a show and find a good seat.

Am I missing some obvious reason RCCL won't assign seats to their shows or are they missing a solution to a problem?

I think your proposed solution would create more problems than it is designed to solve. Assigning specific seats would result in many more complaints from people unhappy with where their seats were located,(in your post, you even recognize that there are "good seats") create problems when those who "didn't show up" suddenly appeared and found their seats occupied, etc. Simple enforcement of the 'no saving of seats policy' is the best solution and though I have rarely seen any staff personnel in the theater monitoring that situation, except in the balcony where a certain block of seats is reserved for Diamond +, Pinnacle and Suite guests until ten minutes before the start of the performance, I have also not seen so many disputes over saved seats that such new policy is needed.

The thing that annoys me most is when people save a whole bunch of seats.... and nobody turns up!

This happened to us on a transatlantic.

A couple were 'saving a whole row of front balcony seats. They turned several people away.

Finally, an elderly gentleman sat down (we were in the row just behind) in the 'saved' seats, and said "When your party turns up, I'll move"

Needless to say, only 2 of their group came....lots of prime seats wasted!

I think most of us have no problem with a wife saving a seat for a husband, or whatever....

Oh well.... it's my cruise, and I do whatever I like!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is it the times that have changed or just the overall attitude of our "entitlement" generation.:confused:

I could not agree more! I've worked for years as a manager for a major wholesaler and cannot believe what people feel they are entitled to. It blows my mind how beyond reason some people can be!

On Independence they repeatedly said over the speakers that no reserving of seats is allowed, and I only ever saw people saving one or two seats for people who had gone to the bathroom or arrived shortly after. Maybe this is something to do with there being mostly Brits onboard, but people generally followed the rules. Saving an entire row is ridiculous.

Archived