Another Way for HAL to Cut Costs......

sail7seas

How does RCI's dining package fit into all of this? They're now offer a 25% or more discount if you book a package that includes a number of their extra charge restaurants. It makes me think that they aren't getting as many people in the extra charge restaurants as they want. I suppose it could also be that by doing a package price, maybe they can squeeze more money out of passangers who would normally only dine at one restaurant, but are now dining at three.

I agree with the poster about the likelyhood that carry-on beverage rules will be tightened. HAL gives up a lot of revenue with this one. Many other cruise lines already severely restrict beverage carry-ons.

The porters will fight any change in the baggage rules. HAL can let the airlines handle that one for them....for those who fly to the port.

Formal nights have been dieing (sp) a slow death for at least a couple of years. The airline baggage charges helped with that one as well.

Room service charges could well be on the horizon.

If they can get the control technology in place, upcharges for premium tv chanels might generate some additional revenue....or perhaps first run movies....or adult video (Hope not!)

Some studies indicate 90% of pay-for-view hotel/motel tv revenue is adult oriented.....and HAL does do nude cruises.....Who would 'a thunk it! (Don't mean to imply that nude is a synonym for sex)

Interesting to speculate.

I agree with the poster about the likelyhood that carry-on beverage rules will be tightened. HAL gives up a lot of revenue with this one. Many other cruise lines already severely restrict beverage carry-ons.

The porters will fight any change in the baggage rules. HAL can let the airlines handle that one for them....for those who fly to the port.

Formal nights have been dieing (sp) a slow death for at least a couple of years. The airline baggage charges helped with that one as well.

Room service charges could well be on the horizon.

This would be a real deal breaker for us. To charge suite guests for Room Service would be going too far IMO. To charge anyone, would be a very bad idea IMO * The irony is in 14 days on Nieuw Amsterdam, we only ordered Room Service Breakfast once and one time we each had a sandwich while we were watching a movie but I would find it objectionable for them to start charging. I like to know we can order IF we wish without thinking of them charging. They certainly lost no money on us.

DFD1

If they can get the control technology in place, upcharges for premium tv chanels might generate some additional revenue....or perhaps first run movies....or adult video (Hope not!)

Some studies indicate 90% of pay-for-view hotel/motel tv revenue is adult oriented.....and HAL does do nude cruises.....Who would 'a thunk it! (Don't mean to imply that nude is a synonym for sex)

Interesting to speculate.

Formal nights are dead...So they say (the non dressers) funny the fashion and beauty forum on here is busting at the seams.

People posting dress pics, asking for shoe suggestions. Page after page of clothes fashion questions. Seems this board would go under if nobody wanted to dress up?

I won't jump to conclusions though. I'll keep my eyes out for the thread titled

"Post Your Best Unmade Bed Look Photo"

Complete With Crocs And Jogging Suit, With Your Last 3 Lido Meals On The Front Of it.

I've always been one to dress formal and DH has always worn a tuxedo. In recent years, I have started wearing black cocktail dresses and DH most of the time, his tux but not always.

There really is something between gown and tux and jogging suit/crocs.

You will never see us in a ship's dining room in jogging suit/crocs but we well could be done with formal. :eek:

Nor will we look like an 'unmade bed'. Such extremes. :D

Maybe instead of "cost cutting", this thread should be entitled "cost cutting AND revenue generating ideas".

Maybe HAL should reduce some of the 4* perks, such as the 50% wine packages. Or do away with all levels of * perks.

Maybe they should offer an additional upcharge room service menu only for suites. Or for all cabins, regardless of category. Maybe some of the suite perks should be blatantly offered to non-suite pax once onboard, e.g., a menu of "enhance your stay" things like flowers, preferred tendering, hot hors d'oeuvres, etc. Stuff that people may like to try, or may not know are available for order (e.g., flowers). HAL certainly manages to generate a LOT of paper for each cabin -- a daily "menu of enhancements to your cruise experience" might actually pay for itself.

I personally have no problem with paying for room service delivery. It is something I really enjoy, and it is worth a few extra $$$s to me to be able to enjoy it. Given that on one cruise about 18 months ago, thre was a 0.00 line item appearing on our end of cruise statement for every time we ordered room service (with the description as "room service"), I'm quite surprised that hasn't been implemented yet.

[......

I predict at some point in the (near ?) future, HAL will eliminate formal nights and at about the same time, they will announce that anyone who requires their luggage to be brought aboard for them, will be charged a fee. Anyone who can travel with 'carryon' that fits through the scanner, will not be charged.

Am I really 'over the top' now? :confused: :rolleyes:

We had a final "formal optional" night on our recent 23 day Maasdam cruise as the last one before disembarkation and probably 90% dressed up for it and this means long gowns and tuxedos. We packed it and darn it we were going to wear it ... one more time ... and everyone looked great.

And it went well beyond just black pants and sparkly tops - it was true formal dress-up for many/most. So glad I did decide to put in my own long black velvet gown with all the trim and have just enough glitter on it to still get it past the metal detectors. :p

It was a very dressy, festive group of passengers on this B2B 45 day grand TA voyage - probably not representative of a typical HAL cruise and age wise it was pretty much on the high end of 70-80.

If formal nights are going "next year" I hope they go by my January cruise.

If HAL charges for he MDR or luggage handling, they are going to bite the hand that feeds them, unless all cruise lines do the same.

Wouldn't that be nice...the more I cruise, the more I dislike dragging along all that stuff. Smart Casual, like some of the more upscale lines do, would be A-OK with me.

We had a final "formal optional" night on our recent 23 day Maasdam cruise as the last one before disembarkation and probably 90% dressed up for it and this means long gowns and tuxedos. We packed it and darn it we were going to wear it ... one more time ... and everyone looked great.

And it went well beyond just black pants and sparkly tops - it was true formal dress-up for many/most. So glad I did decide to put in my own long black velvet gown with all the trim and have just enough glitter on it to still get it past the metal detectors.

It was a very dressy, festive group of passengers on this B2B 45 day grand TA voyage - probably not representative of a typical HAL cruise and age wise it was pretty much on the high end of 70-80.

From what I gather, the guests on the recent Maasdam cruise were anything but the ordinary seven day Caribbean cruiser. :rolleyes:

These were well traveled, high number of day, experienced HAL cruisers. Many World Cruiser and Grand Voyage types.

I don't think that is an 'average' representation.

There has to be a category somewhere between that cruiser and the seven day Caribbean cruiser. That group might be what will determine HAL's position regarding 'formal'.

Maybe they should offer an additional upcharge room service menu only for suites. Or for all cabins, regardless of category. Maybe some of the suite perks should be blatantly offered to non-suite pax once onboard, e.g., a menu of "enhance your stay" things like flowers, preferred tendering, hot hors d'oeuvres, etc. Stuff that people may like to try, or may not know are available for order (e.g., flowers). HAL certainly manages to generate a LOT of paper for each cabin -- a daily "menu of enhancements to your cruise experience" might actually pay for itself.

In general I agree with the concept. However, shouldn't they offer an upscale room service menu for suites without an upcharge given the extra price of suites? Now for nonsuite guests, I actually like the concept as it always someone to buy the perks that they want individually especially if they don't want/need a suite. I could see this generating some serious money. However, you do need to keep some of the perks exclusive to the suites or price them right as to not turn off suite guests.

As a business person, and reading these pages, it is absurd to allow unlimited free wine to be brought on board. That cost more than anything else I can think of . Furthur it attracts the worng sort of person. One wanting to take as much as one can paying the least.

Reading folks so tight as to be trying to save sales tax on the liquor they buy in the cabin. Thats pretty petty.

Suite passengers for what then pay should have it written in their price

comp dining at any restauraunt and comp. liquor.... The boys at Crystal and Regent do this and get class folks.

Right now a suite is a joke for what you get. I used to sail on Regent in real suites. On Holland I saw no benifit for a suite so I sail inside cabins and get 3 times the value. The suite passenger next to me at the bar is paying the same as me..... rip off

The benifits for booking a suite on Holland are a joke. However, its not as bad as Cleb. where everything is class-pay-status orientation.

I dont see loosing formal nights as people with money and manners still enjoy them. That wont save then a dime.

In sailing Holland for over 15 years, I havent seen any real decline in Holland except for the people conned into buying - Faux up scale diggs on a non luxury ship.

Is the cruise industry struggling that much...? Certainly not like the airlines.

I read this week that prices are going up this coming year. As long as there is elasticity in cruise pricing, there shouldn't be a strong need to raise fees or find additional sources of revenue.

From what I can gather, and I admit I am an idiot at times, the industry looks healthy and very competitive - which should keep the cost structures relatively consistent for the near future.

But, I do think they could charge admission for people to look over the rails when leaving ports to watch the poor suckers who arrive late and miss the boat! Watching them run down the pier is priceless!:p

Not so much a cost cutter but a revenue generator ... a deep-cleaning fee for those who request it before boarding and before knowing whether it is required or not.

I think this would backfire and suggest to some newcomers that HAL doesn't clean there rooms very well and that you'll need to pay for a clean room. Perhaps I'm wrong, but charging for this seems wrong. And what if someone pays for it and there's a Noro outbreak. Do they get a refund since they needed to deep clean anyways?

Another interesting note about dining is Carnival with their 2.0 initiative where they actually added Guy's Burger Joint as an included dining venue. Perhaps Carnival recognizes that their going to win cruisers over by offering more value for the dollar. Given the number of extra charge restaurants on NCL and RCI, and the fact that RCI charges for late night room service, I can see Carnival using this in a very successful marketing campaign against their competition.

I think this would backfire and suggest to some newcomers that HAL doesn't clean there rooms very well and that you'll need to pay for a clean room. Perhaps I'm wrong, but charging for this seems wrong. And what if someone pays for it and there's a Noro outbreak. Do they get a refund since they needed to deep clean anyways?

I believe that HAL does clean the rooms well ... but there are some (who also post here) who, during their planning phase, call Seattle and add to their booking a request for a deep cleaning without knowing whether it is required. At that point, without the pax even setting foot on board, the request seems over the top and unwarranted, a poor use of manpower on turnaround day. That's the reason I made mention. Of course, if there's a clear reason, once onboard, to ask for such a service there shouldn't be a fee.

I believe that HAL does clean the rooms well ... but there are some (who also post here) who, during their planning phase, call Seattle and add to their booking a request for a deep cleaning without knowing whether it is required. At that point, without the pax even setting foot on board, the request seems over the top and unwarranted, a poor use of manpower on turnaround day. That's the reason I made mention. Of course, if there's a clear reason, once onboard, to ask for such a service there shouldn't be a fee.

I give the Chief Housekeeper, the Supervisors and the stewards enough credit to recognize which cabins require a 'deep cleaining' and to act accordingly. If no one has smoked in the room and it is in good order, I would think they would do their usual good job of readying it for the next guests.

As long as the room is clean and there are no residual odors, does anyone actually know what 'deep cleaning' was or was not done?

I give the Chief Housekeeper, the Supervisors and the stewards enough credit to recognize which cabins require a 'deep cleaining' and to act accordingly. If no one has smoked in the room and it is in good order, I would think they would do their usual good job of readying it for the next guests.

As long as the room is clean and there are no residual odors, does anyone actually know what 'deep cleaning' was or was not done?

Good point. Yes I'm going to Wing it, and put my trust in the Hal room steward who has cleaned 7,175 cabins.

This whole deep cleaning thing is ludicrous. It's the same thing over on the Princess boards. There you have passengers calling ships services requesting egg crates for their beds.

If I must call ahead for an egg crate. This isn't the line for me.

Deep cleanings, egg crates. The joy of having the staff jump through hoops.

... a deep-cleaning fee for those who request it before boarding and before knowing whether it is required or not.
HEAR, HEAR! :D

And what if someone pays for it and there's a Noro outbreak. Do they get a refund since they needed to deep clean anyways?
The deep cleaning is usually done to eliminate smoking odors, and is not the same kind of decontamination procedures done for a Noro outbreak.

Good point. Yes I'm going to Wing it, and put my trust in the Hal room steward who has cleaned 7,175 cabins.

This whole deep cleaning thing is ludicrous. It's the same thing over on the Princess boards. There you have passengers calling ships services requesting egg crates for their beds.

If I must call ahead for an egg crate. This isn't the line for me.

Deep cleanings, egg crates. The joy of having the staff jump through hoops.

Egg crates can be requested at any time if you feel the mattress is to hard. Most times it's fine without it.

Archived