Carnival Triumph is Delayed

cruiser fanatic

Carnival just posted this

Carnival Triumph

12/15/2011

Web Update #1

The Galveston area is currently experiencing heavy fog and the port remains closed to all inbound and outbound traffic. At this time, the Carnival Triumph remains outside the channel waiting for the fog to lift. We will be posting hourly updates on the arrival of the Carnival Triumph. For your comfort and convenience, we ask that you not proceed to the terminal until we confirm the ship’s arrival time and embarkation hours for your cruise. In the meantime, to stay in touch, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to 36500 to receive updates. You can also visit our website at www.carnival.com/alerts. We look forward to welcoming guests aboard the Carnival Triumph today

So, is this fog season in Galveston?

I dont think you can say its just Galveston. Iv seen fog delays in all of the gulf ports, from Tampa, to Mobile to Galveston. I came into Mobile last time in split pea soup .. no clue how they got the ship docked and port wasnt closed. I got to my car and on the highway, you could not even see the tail lights of the car you were following... I still cannot figure out how they docked the ship, though I think they came in earlier than usual to get in front of the fog. Might have been docked by 3 am.

Tampa too has had the same delays, so it must be something about being on the gulf in the winter.

I think it was last year the Ecstasy was delayed a whole day due to fog. This time of year it's really hit or miss in Galveston. When I saw the news yesterday at 4pm and they were already showing it rolling in at the causeway, I was worried this would happen. Good luck to all boarding today, tomorrow should be fine as they're saying the cold front blowing thru this evening should clear it all out.

Here's an update on the backed up ship traffic from the Chron.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Fog-has-Ship-Channel-traffic-backed-up-2404622.php

54 ships waiting to get into the Port of Houston and 5 into the Port of Galveston.

As of an hour ago, the CCL Alerts page said to wait before heading to the terminal.

I was booked on Ecstasy 2/18/2011 and they were delayed due to fog. We were supposed to get on that Saturday but the ship didn't dock until mid-Sunday and we didn't sail away until noon on Monday. From a 5 day to Mexico to a 3 day to nowhere. Still fun though.

I was booked on Ecstasy 2/18/2011 and they were delayed due to fog. We were supposed to get on that Saturday but the ship didn't dock until mid-Sunday and we didn't sail away until noon on Monday. From a 5 day to Mexico to a 3 day to nowhere. Still fun though.

This was the one I was thinking about! I remember reading about how it was docked at a shipping pier, etc. etc.

We were delayed back in May due to a medical emergency and left late. Lemons into lemonade, of course vodka helps ;)

My heart goes out to everyone waiting in the fog! In December 2009 we were delayed by Fog until the the morning of Day 3! Boarded on Sunday, sat at the terminal all through Monday and finally got out on Tuesday morning. That was on a 7-night cruise and we only missed one port.

Hope it lifts soon and everyone can sail into the sunshine and have a fun time!

Archived