Who can help answer excursion questions for Montego B

bluesea4me

First, I'd like to say I posted this on the Jamaica board but no one is responding and I'd like to hear answers from Carnival cruisers not another line. I hope the moderators accept my apology for posting it here as well.

Ok, here's my dilemma. We dock in Montego Bay, but the activities we want to do are in Ocho Rios. Since it is such a long ride, we thought we should book through the CL.

We ALL (6) want to go to Mystic Mountain and do the bobsled. Only a few want to do the zipline/tranopy there as well. Carnival only offers Bobled/Falls and the Tranopy Adventure. Well, the Tranopy is 165pp. The Falls/Bobsled is 99pp however no one wants to go to Dunns, we would rather ride the bobsled a few more times while the others zip or go to the Falls. When we were docked in Ocho, it wasn't a big deal as the shuttle went to and from frequently, but with the pier being in Montego, I don't think it will be possible. Has anyone ever done this?

Is it possible book the Bobsled/Falls and have the time to add the zip or another bobsled ride?

We wanted to stop at Scotchies or Ocho Rios Jerk Center too, but we know we would need a private driver. I've been reading about some private tour operators, and would be good with this, but it appears that they are not out of Montego Bay. Any experience, anyone? Would you use a private operator? Is it to risky? Who did you use?

Thank you, anyone, who can help with your Montego Bay to Ocho Rios experience

Thanks for this post. we are wanting to do this too. I was hoping there would be a way to get fr Montego Bay to Mystic Mountain safely. We did the Dunn's Falls/ Bobsled combo fr Carnival, but didn't really care for the falls part. Wanting to do just the bobsled.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be emailing Kenny. Thank you.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been much response. I was on trip.....advisor....and there are many comments about people who get off Carnival, get in a car with a previously booked private driver and go.

I have done ALOT of research over the last two days. Private drivers are running about 180-200 for 6 people with stops at the Mountain, jerk, quick liquor stop, and visiting a school roundtrip.

BUT....I still need to know.... Has anyone hired a private driver to take them to Mystic Mountain and back? :confused:

Or, has anyone taken the Mystic Mountain/Dunns trip and stayed long enough to zip and/or ride the Bobsled more than once?

Thank you for any and all ideas!

Does Carnival own the bobsled excursion?? Can you do it privately?? I know they put in a large amount of money to build it.

Mystic Mountain and several other places in the caribbean have been built and are owned by a company rain forest adventure add dot com to visit the sites. Whether or not Carnival has any $$ involved, I have no clue.

Yes, you can purchase the tickets privately at the site, or in advance with a 10% discount as that is what I am wanting to do. I must take a peek at the refund policy for advance purchases though as now I can't recall what it said. If I can't get a refund due to not making port, than I will purchase tickets at the window. Unfortunately I won't get the discount, but I would still be saving money from Carnival.

Believe me, I'm not trying to screw Carnival on not making money, I just want to pay for the excursion we would like to do. Not everyone wants to zip. :( My only choice is to pay the $170 a person and have the ones who don't want to zip, not zip. (Which is a waste of $$ in my book.) OR, pay for the Dunns/Bobsled and go to Dunns which none of us has interest in. (another waste of $---however its $80pp cheaper) I noticed the Carnival site for the Dunns/Bobsled made a comment about enjoying the mountain, then going to Dunns. (But it may be done in reverse.) If it wasn't such a long ride back to MoBay, we'd just skip Dunns.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has taken the Dunns/Bobsled and let me know if there was time to add another ride or even the zip as I know you can add on once you are there. Time is the issue.:(

I will say this...the bobsled is very short. the longest part of it is taking the ride up. it's very boring i'm sad to say (IMO) there is no way i would ever spend the money to do it again, even at a discounted rate for a second ride. it was a huge let down.

it's a beautiful ride up to the top however. The scenery around mystic mountain is beautiful-bring your camera and head up to the observation deck. with the tranopy, we had unlimited rides on the lift, so we rode it a couple of times to enjoy the peacefulness all around. that was our favorite part. Also, as best i can recall, this was the one and only excursion i have ever seen where the ship was actually cheaper than at the gate. (or so back when we were there)

we also ate at the restaurant up top, and thought it a bit pricey for the choices, but the food was tasty.

The zip line was okay fun...out of all of the zip lines we have done, this was our least favorite. Our most favorite zip line was in Montego Bay. (and we have zipped many lines all over)

Our second trip to O.R. we did the Dunns River Falls (actually we did and tour with a local company) which included DRF and to my surprise, i loved it! a bit rushed (as everyone is) I would have like to have spent more time here.

Easier to get him by phone - his email slowwwwww there

We did the swim with dolphins and ate at Momma Marleys in Ocho - but not on cruise

Remember, if you can't get exactly down to every specification that you want (I tend to be the same way) - make a FUN Plan B !:)

Archived