Do You Like HAL Letting us take Beach Towels.........

sail7seas

Our recent cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam, they asked for cabin number when we took towels at the gangway and when we returned them upon our return to the ship.

They did not ask cabin number for towels at the pool and we were free to use as many as we needed.

I don't know why it surprises anyone that people don't return their towels. Cruise ships are filled with thoughtless inconsiderate people. The majority are wonderful, kind, and considerate, but it only takes a few who we all remember to ruin it.

I have never actually heard of anyone being charged for not returning a beach towel to a HAL ship.

Does anyone specifically know if they, indeed, have charged anyone?

I fully agree they should if people cannot be responsible enough to return them.

I was quoted the same 10-15% loss on beach towels during the Behind-the-Scenes Tour on the Nieuw Amsterdam two weeks ago. And indeed we had to check out and check back in the towels. According to our guide the process is an experiment and the charging for the towels was "the official policy" but I took it that they had not actually been charging anyone. Truly too bad that some are so thoughtless.

It has been a number of years since we have sailed on Princess -- so I don't know if this is still their policy -- but when we arrived in our cabin there were 2 beach towels that we were to use for the entire week.

We really didn't like the idea as we had to laid them out in the bathroom to dry out. Using the same beach towel for a week is not my cup of tea.

In my experience, the room steward is suppose to replace them with new beach/pool towels each day if left on the floor. It's not expected that you use the same towel all week. That is, there are two towels assigned to the cabin, but not those particular towels (if this makes sense).

Actually I think it is easier to have beach towels in the cabin so you can pack your stuff for your beach day in an organized manner instead of grabbing a loose towel on the way out. They can still have pool towels around the pool.

On Celebrity the in cabin beach towels were thicker and monogrammed unlike the plain pool towels.

I prefer to get our towels at the gangway.

The less 'litter' in our cabin the better. I don't want to bring the dirty wet towels back into our cabin and think it very much better to deposit them in the laundry bin at the gangway. Get them there; return them there is my choice.

We have always taken ship towels to the beach and we have always returned them to the ship. We wouldn't think of doing otherwise. Those who take ship towels and then leave them on the beach are no doubt the same folks who leave their grocery shopping carts right next to their car when they leave the supermarket rather than returning them to the OK Corral.

We have always taken ship towels to the beach and we have always returned them to the ship. We wouldn't think of doing otherwise. Those who take ship towels and then leave them on the beach are no doubt the same folks who leave their grocery shopping carts right next to their car when they leave the supermarket rather than returning them to the OK Corral.

Or leave half-full drink cups in the magazine racks, or change their minds about a purchase and dump unwanted merchandise wherever they want. Sadly the world is full of lazy and inconsiderate slobs, and it seems to be getting worse. :(

...Sorry to tell you but on our last trip to Hawaii on the Golden Princess last March they DID ask for name and cabin # as you took towels from the ship.

I believe that they did ask for your number on that ship but what good does it do when you have an unlimited supply from the cabin steward of at the pool? It seems like a wasted effort to check people in and out when they could just leave them on the beach & replace them with ones from the room or pool. I suppose it's the thought of getting caught that keeps people from doing it.

I've been on several cruises on Princess and have never been able to get a towel by the pool. I was told you need to bring them from the room.

They do now...or at least they did on the Emerald just lately. Sometimes they weren't available until 10 AM or so.

Archived