Jewel of the Seas Pictorial Cruise Review: 12-15-2011

DarthGrady

I noticed you had a reminder to change your clocks. We were just on the Liberty of the Seas and were on "ships time" the entire trip.

Several warnings that the ship would leave without if you went by local time, made for a slightly uncomfortable time on shore. We've seen those late comers in the past, and my fear is to be left behind.

Thanks for the photos and review. Next time, we might just have to catch a cruise from Tampa.;)

Yes, I forgot to mention that in the review. This was the first of my 27 cruises that they have changed the ships time (when it didn't coincide with Daylight Savings Time anyway). It was odd. :confused:

Childrens pool

232323232%7Ffp43432%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3598843%3A79326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4336%3B%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3598846%3A34326nu0mrj

The biggest attraction for me on Deck 12 has to be the lovely Sea View Café. It is a small eatery with a selection of made to order sandwiches, salads, soups, fried chicken and much more. It has both interior and exterior seating. The café is a great alternative to the often chaotic and crowded Windjammer. Unfortunately the Sea View is one of the great things that will be on the chopping block once Royal Caribbean does renovations to the ship. It will be replaced with a pay-extra restaurant. I think it is disgusting that they are eliminating a great free dining option to make way for one with a cover charge. Cruise lines are becoming so petty with their constant nickel-and-diming of customers. This is yet another example.

Sea View Cafe

232323232%7Ffp43434%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3598843%3A83326nu0mrj

Amen.....

I am also disappointed about the new pay for meal to replace Seaview Cafe. We are still waiting for the schedule for 2013 to book Radiance in Alaska. Looks like we will never be able to eat out there now:( I think a much better use would be to replace the mini golf course. Seems like many more passengers would be served to leave the Seaview and use the golf course...I mean how many times have you played golf there? Out of 13 cruises we have only done it twice!

Agreed. There are many ares that could be re-purposed. A popular eatery should not be one of them.

That lounge is also where the Diamond Event was on Radiance the last time (but is now CL on Radiance). Is this

where the Diamond Event is taking place from 5-8pm on Jewel?

The Hollywood Odyssey was the CL overflow in November and December with the night club/disco being used for the Diamond event. Have fun at New Years!!!!

Eight weeks from today I'll be on the Jewel! It will be my first time in nine cruises that I return to a ship that I had sailed before. Last time we were in a deck 2(or 3) oceanview. This time it's Junior Suite baby!:) Thanks for getting me warmed up.

The Diamond event is in the Viking Crown each night, the CL is held between 5-830 in the Hollywood Odyssey.

I don't really see the problem with the current setup myself. It seems pretty fair to use it as a CL part of the night, then a cigar bar later. Using such a great location only as a CL seems like a waste.

Ok, thanks. That is different than what the Radiance did before the retrofit. They had

a dedicated CL on deck 10, with the Diamond Event in the Hollywood Odyssey from 5-8:00.

I thought I remembered a CL on deck 10 when I was on the Jewel in January? Maybe

got the ships mixed up? Or are they doing two locations?

Thanks again for the great pics and review! :)

The Hollywood Odyssey was the CL overflow in November and December with the night club/disco being used for the Diamond event. Have fun at New Years!!!!

Ah...ok. That makes sense now, expecially during December! :eek:

The Diamond Event on the Freedom last week was in the Pharohs Lounge on deck 5.

It was packed up till 6 pm every night, and then emptied out fast with first seating.

We had a great time in there, and met many new friends! :)

I heard they tried to have it in the Crypt, but everyone complained as it really did feel

like you were in a graveyard! :eek:

Happy New Year to you too, Scotty!! :D

I am also disappointed about the new pay for meal to replace Seaview Cafe. We are still waiting for the schedule for 2013 to book Radiance in Alaska. Looks like we will never be able to eat out there now:( I think a much better use would be to replace the mini golf course. Seems like many more passengers would be served to leave the Seaview and use the golf course...I mean how many times have you played golf there? Out of 13 cruises we have only done it twice!

That's one more than us.

We've been on RD since the "revitalization" and there are a few things I'd change back.

I'd never miss the putt putt if it were gone. I forgot it was there.

I love seeing these pics. It's great to see the pool deck without that huge movie screen that very few people watch, I'm sure. The movie screen on RD also blocks what was a lovely view from the LA's office. It was nice to have a view while waiting for an appt.

Even though I don't play cards, to see the card room on Jewel reminds me how nice it was. The card room is now out in the open by the centrum on deck 10 on Radiance....lovely thing for the suite guests to see when the go to the elevators from their room. :rolleyes:

Gina

More Cabin

The View

232323232%7Ffp43359%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3598846%3A52326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp4343%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3598846%3A53326nu0mrj

Great views! Being on deck 7 above the lounge, did you notice any noise late in the evenings? Those aft deck 7 cabins are usually one of the last to go and I assume it is from the noise in the evenings.

Thanks!

Great views! Being on deck 7 above the lounge, did you notice any noise late in the evenings? Those aft deck 7 cabins are usually one of the last to go and I assume it is from the noise in the evenings.

Thanks!

There was a some low thumping from the bass in the Safari Club, but it never went past midnight. I assume it was Karaoke going on down there, but I never attended.

What is Quest? Is it a show?

The Quest is an adult scavenger hunt in which the Cruise Director gives the teams things to find or do in return for points. The teams then have to race to find the items or perform the stunt. Its very, very funny to watch and a must-see on a RCI cruise. Get there early, it fills up fast!

My husband and I will be on the Jewel at the end of March for the 5 night cruise. Could someone who has taken that cruise already please tell me what time the show is on Wednesday night, the day the ship is in Cozumel. I want to make a reservation in Chops Grille for dinner that night, but I don't want to miss a good show, if there's a good show that night. Thanks.

My husband and I will be on the Jewel at the end of March for the 5 night cruise. Could someone who has taken that cruise already please tell me what time the show is on Wednesday night, the day the ship is in Cozumel. I want to make a reservation in Chops Grille for dinner that night, but I don't want to miss a good show, if there's a good show that night. Thanks.

Someone posted a Compass from Nov 21... On day 3 ( Cozumel) it shows the " headliner show" at 7 pm and 9:00. All aboard at 5:30, if that matters to you!

Grady- How was the weather your trip?

We are doing this cruise in 2012 (Dec 13-17).

We just got off the Monarch 4 night and it was chilly in Port Canaveral and Cococay.

Was it hot enough that people were out sunbathing since Cozumel is farther south than the Bahamas?

Archived