Christmas Decorations ????

BruceMuzz

So, has anyone come to CC complaining about being charged for damages yet?

I confess to taking decorations on our first Christmas cruise. But it was a small battery powered string of lights and a Christmas tree about 8 inches tall. The following Christmas cruises I didn't bother taking any decorations at all...too much hassle to pack and unpack and repack and unpack and store away, never to be used again.

I'm quite surprised the ship has such an impractical decor, that takes 6 months to redecorate when something goes wrong. It's not just Christmas decorations - what happens if a child draws on the wall, or there's a cabin flood, or someone's sick on the wall, or puts a fist through a panel in a rage? Do you have to return 6 months' bookings?

As for the decorations, why on earth would anyone use full adhesive on a wall? Have they never heard of blu-tac? (which may be called something different in America, but surely you have it.)

As for the decorations, why on earth would anyone use full adhesive on a wall? Have they never heard of blu-tac? (which may be called something different in America, but surely you have it.)

Yes, we do have that here. It's great stuff!

I don't get why people need to decorate their cabin doors at Christmas or any other time. (I've sailed on Cunard where it's not done.) To feel that one "belongs" somewhere on a huge ship? To gain admiration from strangers?

A couple of religious items would be understandable since the ship decor is secular, but there's enough to pack without adding this to the stress list. And as the earlier posts here indicate, residue from cheap decorations can have expensive consequences.

To each his own. I have put a sign (with my affiliation with CC and another site on it) on our cabin door for our last two cruises. On past cruises, have seen signs announcing other affiliations (for example that members belonged to one travel agent's group). On that cruise, it was my daughter's birthday and Princess put balloons and a sign for her on our door.

Inside (as I have said), we have marked Valentine's Day and Hanukkah, but not with another decorations that would leave a mark. Considering that on our two holiday cruises, New Year's Eve hats were placed at table settings so that passengers would wear them at the night's festivities (the crew members working the atrium bars on our cruise last December/January were wearing them and celebrating openly too). I would imagine that even on Cunard, on a holiday cruise, people were encouraged to show their festive side.

To each his own. I have put a sign (with my affiliation with CC and another site on it) on our cabin door for our last two cruises. On past cruises' date=' have seen signs announcing other affiliations (for example that members belonged to one travel agent's group). On that cruise, it was my daughter's birthday and Princess put balloons and a sign for her on our door.

Inside (as I have said), we have marked Valentine's Day and Hanukkah, but not with another decorations that would leave a mark. Considering that on our two holiday cruises, New Year's Eve hats were placed at table settings so that passengers would wear them at the night's festivities (the crew members working the atrium bars on our cruise last December/January were wearing them and celebrating openly too). I would imagine that even on Cunard, on a holiday cruise, people were encouraged to show their festive side.[/quote']

I've never put a CC sign on my door. I'd fear that people would knock on my door to ask questions.

If they put birthday balloons on my door, I'd take them off right away. I just don't care for any extra attention and prefer to remain anonymous to all. I don't even give my cabin number out unless I know a person real well.

I don't like to give out cabin number either. When one signs up for a roll call, they are asked to give cabin number so invitations can be delivered. It makes me uncomfortable to give cabin number to people I've never met.

HAL has put birthday balloons on our door and the past and they are fun. We appreciated it as our birthdays are close together.

They used regular scotch tape and it didn't leave a mark so I kept that in mind if for some reason I can't think of now I wanted to tape something to the door, HAL's concierge/stewards used regular scotch tape safely.

I'm quite surprised the ship has such an impractical decor, that takes 6 months to redecorate when something goes wrong. It's not just Christmas decorations - what happens if a child draws on the wall, or there's a cabin flood, or someone's sick on the wall, or puts a fist through a panel in a rage? Do you have to return 6 months' bookings?

What would be "impractical" would be for shipyards to add significantly to the costs of construction to make interior decor impervious to enraged fists or graffitti-inclined children. The ship owners are within their rights to expect passengers to abide by the terms of passage and not have to invest pre-emptively in indestructible interiors.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for bumping this up. We've been on 2 Christmas cruises with family and both times we saw impressions left on cabin doors from gel clings. We don't normally decorate either, however, when we cruise during the Christmas holidays with the grandchildren, it's a different story. They LOVE putting the gel clings on glass surfaces like the full length mirror and the glass balcony door. Even at age 5, they knew better than to put decorations on the walls. The biggest hit was the blinking red & green ice cubes that I ordered on eBay from Hong Kong. Waiters and guests from surrounding tables came over to ask where we got them. I also had light up Santas, Christmas trees and candles on the table that I bought at Kohl's. It was fun and festive!

Edited by 05mak05

I am so pleased you bumped this - I take the stick on gels each year and put them on the balcony doors, I remove them before we get off too and they have never left any marks. They have all been white ones but I bought coloured ones this year - I will not be taking them after reading this

I am so pleased you bumped this - I take the stick on gels each year and put them on the balcony doors, I remove them before we get off too and they have never left any marks. They have all been white ones but I bought coloured ones this year - I will not be taking them after reading this
As long as the gel clings are on glass or mirrors, they do not stain. Famous last words, right? What I should say is that we've used them extensively and have never had a stain on a window or on a mirror. In fact, there were no traces whatsoever.

We always use painters' tape to decorate. It is designed specifically with no marks in mind. ;)

Though honestly I can't imagine any stain that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser couldn't fix. Those things "erase" everything.

• 1 month later...

Several years ago our friend bought red gel-clings at Halloween and put them on our door (I think they were bloody hands). When we took them off (days before the end of the cruise), there were red marks left on the door. We could not get the red off - but when we showed the room steward and apologized, he told us not to worry. When we came back to the room after dinner, the door was as clean as it was before we decorated it. I have no idea what he used to get the red off, but what ever he did worked great. We apologized because we had no idea that would happen - and of course - tipped him extra for getting the door clean. We learned our lesson - and at least our story had a happy ending!

BTW - we still decorate our door and we have ALWAYS made sure everything is off the door and is very clean before we get off the ship.