Salmon Bake--Gold Creek or Thane Ore?

aeropain

My husband and I are adventuring off on our own (booking excursions independently) during our Alska Cruise. We will be touring with Captain Larry in the a.m. and thought it would be great to go to a salmon bake for lunch before going to the Mendenhall Glacier. Have two questions.

1) Do you need to make prior plans to attend a Salmon Bake or can you just arrive?

2) Does anyone have an opinion between Gold Creek vs. Thane Ore? It appears as if Gold Creek is "outdoor" only while Thane Ore seems to be more of a resturant w/optional outdoor seating.

I am looking for something fun that is unique to the area. Coming from Wisconsin, we do traditional "fish boils" but certainly no salmon bakes.

Thanks.

I give an edge to Thane Ore. You do realize that if you do not go from the whale watch with a drop off at Mendenhall you are adding at least an hour in shuttle time? :) They are in the same area outside of downtown.

Can you just go to the salmon bake on the day of or do you need to make advance reservations? Is it all day and they serve as you come or is it only at set times? Is it better to book through the cruise lines? Is there a price difference between booking with the cruise or booking yourself? Lots of questions. Thanks.:cool:

You mentioned about getting dropped off at Mendenhall after our Whale watching with Cptn. Larry or it would be an hour drive. I thought that Mendenhall was only about 13 miles from town. We were thinking of catching a cab there after lunch--is it an hour by cab? I like the idea however of getting dropped of at Mendenhall after whale watching especially if it is right near by. Is this something you think I could just arrange direct with Orca?

Capn Larry recommended Thane ore to me when making reservations, also they said you could just drop in and its mostly locals there, not so many tourists! Sounds like a plan to me and its $10 cheaper!

Mike

You mentioned about getting dropped off at Mendenhall after our Whale watching with Cptn. Larry or it would be an hour drive. I thought that Mendenhall was only about 13 miles from town. We were thinking of catching a cab there after lunch--is it an hour by cab? I like the idea however of getting dropped of at Mendenhall after whale watching especially if it is right near by. Is this something you think I could just arrange direct with Orca?

A shuttle from Orca Enterprises BACK to the ship is 20 minutes, Then transportation BACK to Mendenhall is 20 minutes. With wait time- it's an hour added time. There is a shuttle $5pp each way. Yes- you can arrange a drop off with Orca Enterprises for an added fee, but verify this AND arrange this in advance for your particular tour.

Maybe I don't know enough to ask the right questions but I'm trying to compare this with the Original Alaska Salmon Bake in the princess cruises adventures ashore book ($32). Which would you recommend?:)

this is probably Gold Creek? The problem with the shipped booked tour- is it is usually a fixed time, with the loop bus you can come and go when you want.

Thanks Mike and BQ That's just what I needed to know. We'll plan on going to Thane One - I like the fact that a lot of locals eat there. Usually means it's very good. Now a few more questions. Can someone tell me where it is and how to get there? Is it usually a wait - should we go at a non traditional meal time or plan extra time for a wait or what? Thanks for all of your help. I have found CC to be very helpful in planning my trip. Just to much to do and not enough time in ports to do everything.:confused:

Thanks Mike and BQ That's just what I needed to know. We'll plan on going to Thane One - I like the fact that a lot of locals eat there. Usually means it's very good. Now a few more questions. Can someone tell me where it is and how to get there? Is it usually a wait - should we go at a non traditional meal time or plan extra time for a wait or what? Thanks for all of your help. I have found CC to be very helpful in planning my trip. Just to much to do and not enough time in ports to do everything.:confused:

It's about 4 miles south of downtown. They may have a bus??? Their web site is not updated from 1999??? Try and contact them. But a cab would be a good option.

tohalaska@gci.net

4400 Thane Road

Juneau, AK 99801

(907) 586-3442, Tel.

(907) 586-3442, Fax

I wanted to pass on that I emailed Thane Ore (thanks BQ for the addy), and got a reply already from a George Jefferson. I asked if they would be open in Sept. since that is when we will be there, and yes, they are open until Oct. 1st. He said they have been there 20 yrs and are a locally owned facility on the water front. They provide transportation from downtown docks via their buses and vans. They are 4 mi. south of downtown as BQ stated and the cruise ships actually sail past the facility when arriving in port. He is going to email me some pics and other info later today. I will pass any pertinent info I get along. I'm planning on going to Thane Ore now instead of Gold Creek.

Cindy

• 4 weeks later...

Archived