Just off Monarch 12/23-12/26---Detailed Review with pics!

av8tr21

Thanks for the updates! I have never had an interior room with Carnival, but wow that looks small!

Yes, it IS small....but it works. I'm the person that would rather spend less on my cabin and use those saved funds for other things on the cruise. When I'm in an interior room, I just set an alarm so I don't sleep half the day away :cool:

And I thought we lived close! 5 miles?!? I think the cab is the way to go....just make sure you go to Terminal 5. There were several families that got dropped off at 10 and their luggage went on the Freedom! None of us on CC would make that mistake though :cool:....I bet we could identify the ship blindfolded :D

Wow, and I thought the airlines were the only ones to send your luggage into a different

country! :eek:

Sounds like some people were without clothes and toiletries for an overnight (or longer?).

I know on this Friday embarkation the Freedom is headed to Nassau the next morning and will be docked at the same time as the Monarch there. At least wayward bags could then be transferred I guess. Hopefully they will check them a bit more closely after that one.

Otherwise some pax spending the cruise wearing RCI t-shirts the whole time. ;)

Thanks for the great review, and the information on the embarkation. :D

Well my DH told me on Christmas eve that we ALMOST were surprised with this cruise for Christmas! But with a 10 year old who is still into Santa, we wanted to be home since this is probably the last year. But home is SC for us, so we have that in common since you had a temporary home here!

Love the review so far, keep it up!

Wow, and I thought the airlines were the only ones to send your luggage into a different

country! :eek:

Sounds like some people were without clothes and toiletries for an overnight (or longer?).

I know on this Friday embarkation the Freedom is headed to Nassau the next morning and will be docked at the same time as the Monarch there. At least wayward bags could then be transferred I guess. Hopefully they will check them a bit more closely after that one.

Otherwise some pax spending the cruise wearing RCI t-shirts the whole time. ;)

Thanks for the great review, and the information on the embarkation. :D

The mistake was the cab going to the wrong terminal and then the porters not checking the bag tags and the travellers not knowing what terminal they were at. It is not like these two terminals are right next to each other. Terminal 5 where the Monarch was is across the port in another building.

The mistake was the cab going to the wrong terminal and then the porters not checking the bag tags and the travellers not knowing what terminal they were at. It is not like these two terminals are right next to each other. Terminal 5 where the Monarch was is across the port in another building.

Sounds like a case of "three strikes you're out".

Comedy of errors for sure. :(

Me: I live here, so I know the difference of CT5 and CT10. Will just have to make

sure I steer the cab in the proper direction. ;) :)

Sounds like a case of "three strikes you're out".

Comedy of errors for sure. :(

Me: I live here, so I know the difference of CT5 and CT10. Will just have to make

sure I steer the cab in the proper direction. ;) :)

It seems so. ;)

After that, we headed to the Sound of Music Theatre to see the Love and Marriage show. This was hilarious. The newlywed couple.....oh boy. I hope my future wife is that much of a ditz. Honestly though, I don't think I have ever seen such a ditz!

I just read this again, and need to clarify something! I hope my future wife is NOT a ditz like Ms. Vibrator :eek:.....oh boy

I am giving up on this thread. It is taking too long.

Sorry you feel that way. I have been job hunting and trying to follow-up on a few leads, not to mention doing some work for my Dad today. Securing a job, and making money come before the review. I was actually going to the next installment today.

Alright everyone! So sorry it has been a few days. Fortunately, I have had a few job leads and am hoping to hear back from a few more next week. Prayers are appreciated! Anyway, where were we....ah yes, Day 2 in Nassau.

I had made an appointment to have a deep-tissue massage at 8AM the day before, thus my earlier-than-usual bedtime and early rise. Woke up about 7:30 and went for a stroll on the promenade. I was actually kind of disappointed with my massage and ended up more sore than relaxed. Keep in mind this wasn't the first time I had had a massage. So I can't say that I thought the massage was worth $148 for 50 minutes. Live and learn! Find a therapist you like at home, and stick with that person. Anyhow, It was a beautiful morning, albeit a little bit cloudy. There seemed to be a storm of in the distance heading northwest. Breakfast in WJ was fairly good, although the coffee seemed to run out very quickly and not be replenished enough. Eventually clouds gave way to sunshine and temperatures of around 80 that day! Absolutely perfect IMHO :D We were originally scheduled to dock at 12PM, but for some reason arrived early and docked around 10:30 or so. I had checked Cruise TT to see what other ships would be in port.....Majesty of the Seas, Carnival Imagination, HAL Maasdam, and NCL Sky. Sailing in late was awesome! The crew on Majesty were doing some sort of safety drill and as we pulled in they all shouted, "Ho, Ho, Ho" and the horn battle ensued. We waited for the "rush" to die down and eventually disembarked around 12:30 or so. This is another reason I did not like Deck 2. The line to disembark typically stretched to Deck 3 and into the Centrum. In order to disembark, we had to go up to Deck 3 and then back down. Not really a HUGE deal, but this was the first time I had been on the lowest deck so I guess it was a slight inconvenience to me. Nassau.....well, this was my third time there so our visit was quite short. Walked through the straw market which was SO much nicer than when I was there in May. The new building had just opened on December 21st, and it was beautiful. It also appeared sturdy enough to withstand any hurricane! This was also the most crowded I have ever seen Nassau; can't imagine what it would be like with Oasis or Allure docked :eek: After the straw market, we headed down to Junkanoo Beach and relaxed for a little while. The water was pretty chilly, but not for my brothers! Junkanoo Beach is ok, but Cabbage Beach is much better IMO. Unless you have small children, then Junkanoo would be the way to go. No waves and very calm. Also less vendors bothering you, but there is still food/drink available and also bathrooms (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Not too long after, we headed back to the ship. But not without stopping to pick up a few t-shirts! I mean, come on, what kinda tourist are you if you don't get the obligatory t-shirt! Also stopped at the Tortuga Rum Cake shop and picked up some cakes....which almost got left on the ship, more on that later.

Boarded Monarch and headed to WJ again for lunch. Tried the Honey Stung chicken again and wasn't that impressed. I had thought that maybe it was a bad batch the previous day, but it just didn't do a whole lot for me. Enjoyed the day relaxing on the ship. I enjoyed hanging out on the deck two decks above the pool deck....name? Sun deck maybe? There were never more than a few people up there at a time and it was so quiet and peaceful. I think I may have fallen asleep a few times :cool:

I'm going to post some more pictures and also the Cruise Compass from Day 1. I will post the happenings of the evening later this afternoon! Thanks for being patient everyone.....rest assured, I will finish this review!

Loving it, take your time, I will keep searching for it. And good luck on your job search :)

Thanks for the comment and your patience! Going to try to upload the Cruise Compass from Day 1 today and some more pictures.

Thanks for posting this review....well worth waiting for. We are leaving this Friday (Jan 6) on the Monarch, so your timing is perfect. Loving the review....will keep following it. Also, hoping your job leads pay off for you soon. Happy New Year.

Archived