15% gratuity on all drinks

Ewoodspark

Howard, thanks for your comments and I note where you live. The point I am asking is what is the gratuity actually for? For somebody to pour a drink or pass me a bottle, are you saying that this should warrant a 15% tip. For what? Doing his or her job? I am certainly not objecting to tipping a bar person if I have been served a number of drinks, but I certainly do not hold with the concept of being forced to pay a 15% gratuity for ordering i drink.

The 15% is how the waiter and the bartender get paid. That's what it's for. If you're not happy with the system, it would be best to not partake of the service. How it's done in your home country has no bearing on how it's done anywhere else.

Pay it with a smile or don't pay it(which isn't optional). Not paying will ensure that you don't need to worry about that waiter or bartender bothering you again.

Swing and a miss. Go and read the OPs initial posting. They question they posed (and there for the topic/issue here) is: "...but what is the gratuity actually for?"

This isn't about choice, it is about purpose.

I don't know what your "tipping habits" have to do with anything, but just because you didn't read something doesn't mean that the point is negated. Perhaps (that means maybe, btw) you need to broaden the scope of your reading material.

I really don't need your sarcasm. Say it to someone who might care what you say.

I really don't need your sarcasm. Say it to someone who might care what you say.

Wasn't being sarcastic. Hence the lack of the :rolleyes:.

You made false assumptions and used broad generalizations just to attack the opinions of others and attempt to hijack this thread. You need to stay on topic (which is one of the things you missed, btw).

Oh yeah, you obviously are someone who cares what I say. If you weren't you wouldn't have read my other posts, you wouldn't have taken the time to respond to my other posts, and you certainly wouldn't be reading this right now. Care to show just how little you care?:p

Thanks to everybody for their various replies. It certainly does not take long to get an Americans back up. After searching further, I have actually found the information on NCL's own web site regarding the 15% gratuity on drinks.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent.

So, it is only a recommended gratuity and according to this, not enforceable.

As a european, I also have to adjust to the tipping system.

I don't like it, but this does not mean I don't tip.

Every where I go I try to adjust to the local habits.

One problem I have on a cruise is that I don't drink alcohol and take a soda packadge.

The service I get in the bar is not equal to people drinking expensive drinks.

This is a normal reaction of the bar tenders, they earn more money by concentrating on the alcoholic drinking clients.

I prefer the european system where people earn a decent wage and get a lot less tips.

It's also what I'm used to.

One problem I have on a cruise is that I don't drink alcohol and take a soda packadge.

The service I get in the bar is not equal to people drinking expensive drinks.

This is a normal reaction of the bar tenders, they earn more money by concentrating on the alcoholic drinking clients.

This should not be a "normal reaction" of bar tenders especially on the cruise ship. Therefore like any other inappropriate service you should be taking this to a higher level while on board. Yes it may occur and yes it may be what some do, but it is still bad service and because you are not paying extra you should not receive bad service. To me that is equivalent to you don't pay extra for the shows so therefore you should expect poor shows. BTW they got their tip early on your soda card when you purchased it.

As for the system on land, people in bars normally tip even for soft drinks or coffee so the bar tender is still getting a tip. I usually have very little issues in that dept. The bar tender prefers a smaller tip for coffee or soft drink than none at all ;).

Most people, i know, that are in a tipping employment will tell you that the person that tips bigger will probably get exemplary service or in some cases like hairdressing, get little extra touches but everyone will get what they are actually paying for, which is appropriate service. So if you have experienced this it's just a case of bad service.

Thanks to everybody for their various replies. It certainly does not take long to get an Americans back up. After searching further, I have actually found the information on NCL's own web site regarding the 15% gratuity on drinks.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent.

John, the 15% will be on your bill for each drink. I guess you could try to fight it, but is it worth it? Really? Is that how you want to spend your vacation? Is that the impression of the UK you wish to spread around the world? Over 15%?

If there were no tips for any of us, all the drink menu cost would be higher. You should pay your share toward the server's and bartender's wages...you do that with the 15% gratuity. If to you the drink is worth 1.15 times the menu price, but it. If is it not, don't buy it. Local custom and expectation is to tip. Yes it is different from home...isn't that part of traveling...often the best part.

It appears that as well as the high cost of beer and wine on board ship, NCL charge a standard 15% gratuity on all drinks. Is this 15% gratuity enforceable or is it like in a restaurant, when if you do not consider you have good service, you refuse to paying any service charge. When I go to a bar in England, I do not give the barman a tip for him/her to pour me a pint or give me a bottle. If I guess that you sign for all drinks with no actual cash taking place, can you delete the gratuity and sign for the actual drink. I am not too sure whether this may rather annoy or upset the bar staff, but what is the gratuity actually for? I know that all Americans seem to live on tips, but I am not American, and the cruise is in the Caribbean.

If you live by the 'When in Rome' philosophy, it makes things a little better.

I know tipping like this isn't typical in England, but you are not vacationing at home.

Tipping is standard on cruise ships. Just accept the 15% as part of the cost of the drink and forget it. If you want to remove the tip each and every time you ask for a drink, then it's your time...go ahead. But don't forget, time is money too....

It probably won't take long for you to be identified to all of the servers if you are successful in removing the tips, which means that when you are sitting at the pool the server won't "see" you when you want service, making a trip to the bar necessary. If they do "see" you it will take a painfully long time for you to receive your drink. Going up to the bar may not be much better, because the bartenders will also know that you will not be tipping them, so you may expect service to be slow there as well.

The tipping system may not be perfect but it is the expectation onboard the ship, regardless of what system you use in your home country, and the tips do represent the staff's wages whether we like it or not.

Since we heard from the Brits and other Euros let me give a story of the reverse scenario (an American tipping in Europe :) )

I was in a bar in Germany and drinking some beers talking to the bartender who was amazing and very friendly and spoke English. I left a few Euros on the bar before leaving and the bartender picked them back up and handed them right to me. The bartender explained that he was aware of American tipping standards but reminded me that his salary was not based on tips and that I left way too much money. He told me to leave anything under a Euro was an excellent tip and is not expected.

I ate a breakfast in Colombia once and the food is sensational there. The dollar was very strong then and I left some Colombian currency on the table. They had excellent service. The wait staff eyes bugged out of their heads until someone told me that I was leaving alot of money on the table.

So while tipping is strange for people from other countries, it is equally as strange to eat abroad and not tip.

Service industry do not get minimum wage and their salary is based on tips. So to remove a tip or not leave at least 15%-17% is very very rude.

It probably won't take long for you to be identified to all of the servers if you are successful in removing the tips, which means that when you are sitting at the pool the server won't "see" you when you want service, making a trip to the bar necessary. If they do "see" you it will take a painfully long time for you to receive your drink. Going up to the bar may not be much better, because the bartenders will also know that you will not be tipping them, so you may expect service to be slow there as well.

Sorry Sparks this is one place I have to disagree with you. I agree the poster should not try and remove the tip. I agree when you go someplace you should respect their custom. I also agree that the pooled tips are money in the bartenders pocket.

But this kind of statement IMO is what gives the tipping system a bad name. If you remove the tip you may not get the best service in the world but you should get appropriate service. And if not then you should be going farther up the ladder, if necessary to the HD, if your service is bad. What you are describing above is the bartender not doing his job, which is to serve the customer appropriately.

As for removing the bar tip, that would require the OP to do one of 2 things. Everytime they got their drink to go find someone in authority that could remove it from each bill since it automatically goes on the bill. Or at the end of the cruise trying to get it straighten out at the front desk (good luck with that). Sorry but I can't really see anyone spending that much time on vacation to do all that.

So again IMO this is just someone letting off steam about a system they don't know anything about.

It appears that as well as the high cost of beer and wine on board ship, NCL charge a standard 15% gratuity on all drinks. Is this 15% gratuity enforceable or is it like in a restaurant, when if you do not consider you have good service, you refuse to paying any service charge. When I go to a bar in England, I do not give the barman a tip for him/her to pour me a pint or give me a bottle. If I guess that you sign for all drinks with no actual cash taking place, can you delete the gratuity and sign for the actual drink. I am not too sure whether this may rather annoy or upset the bar staff, but what is the gratuity actually for? I know that all Americans seem to live on tips, but I am not American, and the cruise is in the Caribbean.

You can also think of it as incentive for the server to work harder. The server does not get minimum wage. However, a server can make much more than minimum wage if they are good. That is the theory, at least. Now comes the problem of pooling the tips. I assume that the ship pools the tips and passes them out to the entire serving staff. So will on work harder than another knowing he or she will get the same share of the pie? You can research on these forums and see lots of strategies for tipping the other staff members ( room attendant, butler, etc.) in order to get better service. Finally, it is also a good pricing strategy for the ship. The ship can post a lower overall price on the drinks and then automatically tack on an extra 15% for "gratuity"

I have heard "stories" of people who vacation in resort hotels that have all inclusive packages were those with the package where a special wrist band. The story goes that those without the band get better service because they are tipping, where the all inlusive vacationers get poor service because they do not have to tip. Can someone verify this story?

Do ships sailing in Europe have this gratuity?

I have heard "stories" of people who vacation in resort hotels that have all inclusive packages were those with the package where a special wrist band. The story goes that those without the band get better service because they are tipping, where the all inlusive vacationers get poor service because they do not have to tip. Can someone verify this story?

The high-end luxury cruise lines, which, by and large, are known for their outstanding service, are typically all-inclusive with no tipping for service.

Sounds like you plan to attempt to remove the 15% charge since you found a "loophole". Good luck with that. Please come back and tell us how it worked out for you.

I have said this before and I will say it again, the cruise lines ought to follow the example of the banks and charge a fee twice the amount of the tip to have them removed. Those with a negative attitude towards tipping can have their tips removed while at the same time the service personnel still get their salary, and the cruise line gets rewarded for wasting valuable time providing this service. The cruise line has to pay their service personnel one way or another either with the fee upfront or through the Samuel Cunard tipping method.

I have said this before and I will say it again, the cruise lines ought to follow the example of the banks and charge a fee twice the amount of the tip to have them removed. Those with a negative attitude towards tipping can have their tips removed while at the same time the service personnel still get their salary, and the cruise line gets rewarded for wasting valuable time providing this service.

Durn it! I cannot find the 'Like' button!

Do ships sailing in Europe have this gratuity?

I can confirm that NCL ships sailing in Europe have this and all the other standard gratuities - I am assuming they are paid the same as if they were sailing in the Caribbean.. Also, in many tourist cities (where tipping is not traditional) in Europe, restaurants have added American-style service charges to their bills - so it seems to be spreading rather than declining.

Robin

Sorry Sparks this is one place I have to disagree with you. I agree the poster should not try and remove the tip. I agree when you go someplace you should respect their custom. I also agree that the pooled tips are money in the bartenders pocket.

But this kind of statement IMO is what gives the tipping system a bad name. If you remove the tip you may not get the best service in the world but you should get appropriate service. And if not then you should be going farther up the ladder, if necessary to the HD, if your service is bad. What you are describing above is the bartender not doing his job, which is to serve the customer appropriately.

As for removing the bar tip, that would require the OP to do one of 2 things. Everytime they got their drink to go find someone in authority that could remove it from each bill since it automatically goes on the bill. Or at the end of the cruise trying to get it straighten out at the front desk (good luck with that). Sorry but I can't really see anyone spending that much time on vacation to do all that.

So again IMO this is just someone letting off steam about a system they don't know anything about.

I was only suggesting what might happen based on human nature. Yes, the service should be the same for tippers and non-tippers alike but human nature being what it is, well, it isn't always that way.

I was only suggesting what might happen based on human nature. Yes, the service should be the same for tippers and non-tippers alike but human nature being what it is, well, it isn't always that way.

I must disagree. People who pay their bills SHOULD get better service and people who don't pay their bills shouldn't get service.

I can confirm that NCL ships sailing in Europe have this and all the other standard gratuities - I am assuming they are paid the same as if they were sailing in the Caribbean.. Also, in many tourist cities (where tipping is not traditional) in Europe, restaurants have added American-style service charges to their bills - so it seems to be spreading rather than declining.

Robin

Actually it was the other way around. European hotels implemented these automatic service fees long before NCL or any of the other cruise lines did. The cruise lines did so because too many were stiffing their crews and they were having problems resigning their experienced employees to new contracts. I wonder why the European hotels did?

The truth is that a person who tips very well, above the norm, gets better service. Something I guess those who are negative towards tipping haven't learned.

OP-seeing that you have started 3 threads all questioning/complaining about the cost of alcohol maybe you did not do enough research before booking this cruise.:confused:

You have a few options:

1. cancel said cruise and stay home and drink in your local pub

2. go and pay the cost of the drinks AND gratuity just like everyone else does

3. go and don't drink

4. bring your own wine onboard ($15 fee)

Other than that you aren't going to get much sympathy here- it is what it is. You can make the best of all the other things that are great about cruising or you can resign yourself that the cost of alcohol inc.gratuities are going to be your main focus....

OP-seeing that you have started 3 threads all questioning/complaining about the cost of alcohol maybe you did not do enough research before booking this cruise.:confused:

You have a few options:

1. cancel said cruise and stay home and drink in your local pub

2. go and pay the cost of the drinks AND gratuity just like everyone else does

3. go and don't drink

4. bring your own wine onboard ($15 fee)

Other than that you aren't going to get much sympathy here- it is what it is. You can make the best of all the other things that are great about cruising or you can resign yourself that the cost of alcohol inc.gratuities are going to be your main focus....

Wonderful suggestions.

1. Already paid for. The main part of the holiday is a 7 night all inclusive hotel in Jamaica.

2. The 15% gratuity is only recommended.

3. See 2.

4. I am not talking about wine, only beer. $15 to bring your own wine on board !!!

The staff that gets your drinks is working and why not give a small tip for a smile with our beverage. The prices for drinks, from what I have found, is reasonable with other restaurants/ bars on land- actually cheaper than some. The tip is justified especially for those that are going and getting your drinks for you. Because folks not from the US do not like to tip is why most ships and alot of restaurants in tourist areas do add on a tip automatically.

OP - I see you are from Blackburn, England. The NCL drinks prices are actually not too bad, certainly compared to London!

As for getting a decent pint of beer on board - that is entirely another question!

The staff work bl**dy hard for their meagre wages - do not begrudge them the 15%.

Archived