Eden Rock has anyone been there lately?

sj25

Well, it isn't going to win any culinary awards, but "Paradise by the Sea" is literally right next door to Eden Rock, has its own entrance to the snorkel area, and has food and drink. It may be just what you are looking for, as long as you are not in search of fine dining.

http://www.ecayonline.com/view_company_information.asp?fivepm_company=2585

Haha, we've eaten at that place! Certainly nothing fancy.....at all...but it was ok and cheap ast GC goes:)

This is our first trip to Grand Cayman we're looking for a spot close to cruise terminal that doesn't have extreme currents or choppy water. I realize a ladder is needed to enter the water but is this a place where we can feel fairly safe while using common sense. How deep is the water? ect.. We are competent swimmers, I just like to know the conditions we can expect prior to entering the water. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you

The water conditions will depend upon the wind that day. We have seen the water from rough, to about calm, you never know until you arrive.

If you are good swimmers as you say, chances are that you will have no problems at all.

Paradise is really a neat place to snorkel & the beeeeg Tarpon are always there just hanging out at the ladder & waiting to be fed by the Paradise people. Sort of like at the docks in Key West.

The Paradise also rents any of the gear that you may need.

Enjoy Grand Cayman.

PS; the water runs from four feet to about eight feet deep, depending where you are snorkeling.

The water conditions will depend upon the wind that day. We have seen the water from rough, to about calm, you never know until you arrive.

If you are good swimmers as you say, chances are that you will have no problems at all.

Paradise is really a neat place to snorkel & the beeeeg Tarpon are always there just hanging out at the ladder & waiting to be fed by the Paradise people. Sort of like at the docks in Key West.

The Paradise also rents any of the gear that you may need.

Enjoy Grand Cayman.

PS; the water runs from four feet to about eight feet deep, depending where you are snorkeling.

Great just what I needed to hear, just like to know what we might be getting into. Can't wait!!! Thank you for the quick response.

Just got back from Eden Rock last week...and yes first Paradise by the Sea is first...and they have a very small beach you can rent chair for $5 pp and then rent snorkle equipment for $18....and they have a restaurant.

But Eden Rock just next door down further is no beach but have a picnic table, couple lounge chairs do not charge for you to use them. The fee to rent snorkle equipement is $14 so it is your choice...of perference! We had a great time and saw many fish! Don't have them down loaded yet...on to my computer!

But when you get off the ship take a right turn and you walk and you will see it....I will try to get the picture of Eden Rock to show what they building looks like you can see it from the ship when you pull in I was surprised when we was leaving I took some pictures so you can kinda tell where the location is.

We had a great time snorkeling at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto (right next to Eden Rock). BTW Eden Rock dive shop also has lockers. We didn't use them, so not sure how much, but probably a small fee for use. We use a water proof wallet, so bring our valuables along with us. I had the guy at the dive shop show me the buoy's to swim to. It helped. There were lots of fish and I saw the tarpin! Wow, about 4 foot long. Here are a few photos. :)

IMGP0489.jpg

IMGP0510.jpg

IMGP0521.jpg

IMGP0538.jpg

Is Eden Rock so rocky that we would need water shoes or is it ok to walk on barefoot just to get in the water? Since it's free, do we just put our stuff down and get in or are we supposed to check in with someone?

I can't wait to go in May! My husband and I were going to go a couple years ago but ended up walking around instead. I told him Eden Rock was a must this time! :)

Is Eden Rock so rocky that we would need water shoes or is it ok to walk on barefoot just to get in the water? Since it's free, do we just put our stuff down and get in or are we supposed to check in with someone?

I can't wait to go in May! My husband and I were going to go a couple years ago but ended up walking around instead. I told him Eden Rock was a must this time! :)

You won't be walking on anything. You'll go straight from the concrete slab down the ladder into 7ft water. Easy enough to walk barefoot to the edge, but on your fins, and climb down into the water.

Yes, you can just put your stuff down and get in the water, no worries. We had the guy at the dive shop show us the best spots...it is a bit of a swim out to the best spots, but not too far. Many seemed just fine snorkeling close to shore too. That is where we saw the tarpin, right at the ladder. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Last week we walked to the Eden Rock Dive center. It is about a 10 min walk from the tender pier to the right. Very easy to find. Very nice people. We had our own snorkel gear, but did rent flippers for 5.00 each set. It was a great inexpensive excursion. The water was just a tiny bit choppy, but we snorkled for a good hour. It didn't seem very deep, maybe 6 or 7 feet. There were areas where I could stand though. (Not on coral, of course) My parents had a picnic table to sit on and watch us and take pictures of us. There were lockers you could rent though. It was cool that we were snorkeling right in front of where the ships were anchored. Great photos of us with the ships in the background! We shopped a bit and had a snack on the way back to the pier.

When you enter the water, is there much snorkeling right there at the wall, or do you have to swim out a bit?

From the photos and maps I have seen of the reef, it looks like you may have to swim out from shore a ways.

You can swim out if you'd like, but I saw a great variety of fish within 10-20 feet of the ladder.

Good decision! We were at Eden Roc last week and had the best time. Spent a few hours there snorkeling. There were TONS of fish - and the tarpon were scary looking but my husband assured me they were harmless. :) We had lunch at the restaurant there then did a little shopping before returning to ship. It was a really nice day!

When you enter the water, is there much snorkeling right there at the wall, or do you have to swim out a bit?

From the photos and maps I have seen of the reef, it looks like you may have to swim out from shore a ways.

It's probably 100 yards out to Eden Rock, maybe 150 yards to Devil's Grotto. There are bouys marking them so you'll have an idea from land how far a swim it is. Just watch out staying TOO close to the wall, as there are a ton of urchins.

I am so glad that I found this thread. DH got an underwater camera for Christmas just to use on this cruise LOL, and I have been telling him about Eden Rock. I used to swim all the time, but as I have gotten older woudn't say I 'm still a strong swimmer. Is the area roped off? Do they also rent vests? We have our own snorkel masks, but have never gone into deep water before. Also I am blind as a bat with out glasses, is the ladder a straight down into the water, or is it slanted? Trying to find out how far I will have to walk without seeing. Can I wear water shoes or do I have to have flippers? And has any novice done this? In other words, if I am nervous will I still have a good time:o

I was there last week. Haven't been in several years due to hurricane last time we had plans for there. Different now. More open area to snorkle. Still awesome.

I have been to Eden Rock in a previous cruise and did snorkling there but has bee about 3 years. So didn't know if anyone else has been there lately?

• 6 months later...

Eden Rock is a Great place for snorkeling. Through out the summer months, the underwater caves are filled with Silver-sides. This is something everyone should experience. You can email the shop and ask if they are still there. They were a few weeks ago.

Here's a video you might find helpful.

http://idiveglobal.com/locations/eden-rock-snorkel/

I am so glad that I found this thread. DH got an underwater camera for Christmas just to use on this cruise LOL, and I have been telling him about Eden Rock. I used to swim all the time, but as I have gotten older woudn't say I 'm still a strong swimmer. Is the area roped off? Do they also rent vests? We have our own snorkel masks, but have never gone into deep water before. Also I am blind as a bat with out glasses, is the ladder a straight down into the water, or is it slanted? Trying to find out how far I will have to walk without seeing. Can I wear water shoes or do I have to have flippers? And has any novice done this? In other words, if I am nervous will I still have a good time:o

I am blind as a bat as well and didn't really enjoy snorkling until I went to a dive shop and purchased a corrective mask. It made all the difference in the world.

• 3 months later...

Did a cruise the in December right before x-mas and the tarpon were there. My mom saw crabs and I think a turtle too. The reef was destroyed several years ago in one of the hurricanes but it is starting to pickup again.

I see someone posted above that the reef was destroyed, but is coming back. Would most people agree with that who've been there recently?

Is it all Tarpon fish, or do you get to see the other pretty coloured fish as well? (I don't think Tarpon are that nice looking, are they?)

Archived