Carnival Flat Iron Steak

finditapt

If you get a tough steak, rotate it 90 then cut. Noticed many will cut with the grain, making a tough piece of meat. Cutting across the grain will give you a tender cut.

The meat is hand cut from larger pieces.

If you get a tough steak, rotate it 90 then cut. Noticed many will cut with the grain, making a tough piece of meat. Cutting across the grain will give you a tender cut.

The meat is hand cut from larger pieces.

This cut of steak is its own animal, so to say. If the tough connective tissue that runs in the center is not properly removed when butchered no matter which direction you cut a flat iron steak it will not take out the tough tissue and will not be tender.

This link posted earlier is enlightening: https://www.thespruce.com/flat-iron-steak-for-the-grill-336349

The $20 medium rare sirloin I ordered on Paradise came out very well done and tasted like pot roast. The maitre d comped the steak. On another night I ordered a medium rare flat iron. It came out medium but was tender enough and had a really good beef taste. I guess it is all in the cooking process. i will order the flat iron in the future.

Maybe because the question was asked in 2011, could that be it?

Even Sargent_Schultz was posting back then! (see post #2)

BTW, in 32 Carnival cruises I have never ordered a flat iron, just not my choice. When I'm jonesing for a meat fix, I go to the Steakhouse for their filet.

Ladies and Gentlemen please prepare yourselves for the testimony I have to give. I sailed on the Carnival Liberty this past weekend on a 4 day 3 night trip to Nassau and ate at the Golden Olympian each night. The menu seemed to be just basic meals you could get at Applebee's or any other small town 'fancy' restaraunt. That is, until I saw the flat iron steak. Now sure I've had many steaks in my short 21 years of living but for what comes next ladies and gentlemen, has changed me. So there I was sitting at my table when the two waiters assigned to my table blessed me with, you guessed it, the flat iron steak. The beauty was charred just enough on the outside to leave a crunch that one could only dream of. The inside was just right, it was tender and juicy and everything holy and righteous. The first bite was like the first time I heard the Beatles. The divine meat that lay before me was accompanied by a wholesome baked potato and a cup of broccoli. Julius and I Wayna were the waiters names and they were fantastic they kept the flat iron steaks rolling. I always had A1 steak sauce thanks to these two carnival cruise line masters. I'll never forget this weekend, the weekend I became even more proud to be an American.
Just thought I'd reply to your post so all the effort you went to in creating a new account and typing this rather long bit of satire wouldn't be a complete waste of your time.:D

Flat Iron steak. I really dont consider it to be steak (as I know it), but more like a cut of pot roast. The ones that I have had were very tender and tasty, but did not in any way resemble steak, as I know it. Just my take on it. I liked it, but I dont know why they call it steak, Maybe flat iron beef would be better.

Flat Iron steak. I really dont consider it to be steak (as I know it), but more like a cut of pot roast. The ones that I have had were very tender and tasty, but did not in any way resemble steak, as I know it. Just my take on it. I liked it, but I dont know why they call it steak, Maybe flat iron beef would be better.

Well...because it is a steak just as any other flat piece of meat that comes from a cow. It may not be a ribeye or t-bone but by definition it is a steak just like skirt steak, sirloin tip steak or top round steak.

• 7 months later...
Ladies and Gentlemen please prepare yourselves for the testimony I have to give. I sailed on the Carnival Liberty this past weekend on a 4 day 3 night trip to Nassau and ate at the Golden Olympian each night. The menu seemed to be just basic meals you could get at Applebee's or any other small town 'fancy' restaraunt. That is, until I saw the flat iron steak. Now sure I've had many steaks in my short 21 years of living but for what comes next ladies and gentlemen, has changed me. So there I was sitting at my table when the two waiters assigned to my table blessed me with, you guessed it, the flat iron steak. The beauty was charred just enough on the outside to leave a crunch that one could only dream of. The inside was just right, it was tender and juicy and everything holy and righteous. The first bite was like the first time I heard the Beatles. The divine meat that lay before me was accompanied by a wholesome baked potato and a cup of broccoli. Julius and I Wayna were the waiters names and they were fantastic they kept the flat iron steaks rolling. I always had A1 steak sauce thanks to these two carnival cruise line masters. I'll never forget this weekend, the weekend I became even more proud to be an American.

Probably the best steak out on the open ocean. Julius is not someone you can even compare as to the quality of a person. LongHorns couldnt compare to the flatiron on the liberty. I quess when i want a steak I better save up and go back to the liberty, and eat the golden olympian.

I've have had the Flat Iron a number of times. It is usually the default option when there is nothing else that can be made Gluten Free.

They have ranged from excellent to still having the whip marks from the jockey on them. It is impossible to cut two flat iron steaks exactly the same.

The only thing I can say is that you take your chances when ordering it but order it medium rare and cut it against the grain and it can be a decent hunk of meat.

It's still better than the infamous "Ranch Steak" served on Royal Caribbean back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Now that was a nasty hunk of meat.

Take care,

Mike

A fact about beef is... the more tender the cut, the less flavor. Having good marbling helps a lot (as with USDA Prime beef)... however, I have had filet mignon which was so tender you don't need a knife, and the flavor was nothing special. While a ground chuck burger, cooked just right, beats the flavor of any filet. Actually you don't need a knife for the burger, either ;).

I think the flat iron steak has more flavor and will be tougher that the typical ribeye or filet. If you are after flavor over texture, it's a good cut of beef.

If your eating flat iron steak anything past medium rare, of course its gonna be tough , I had it on Magic as well, cooked medium rare and it came out perfect and was very good. Rare would probably have been even better but I just cant do it.

Keep in mind you aren't talking about a steak in a 5 star restaurant. It's a flat iron steak on a cruise ship. With that being said , I have found the flat iron on Carnival to be very good, as others have mentioned if it's cooked medium rare.

Flat Iron Steak is definitely a cheap cut of meat. If you've only eaten Sirloin, you will probably still like it. If you've eaten Ribeyes and Filet Mignon, you will be disappointed.

The frustration you hear is that Cruising used to be finer dining and now you have to pay extra to get what used to be free. I definitely have noticed a difference in the quality of cuts of meat and serving sizes. In fact, I ordered the medium rare Prime Rib both times it was offered on our last Carnival cruise and both times I struggled to cut and chew it.

My standards are not very high, so I still find food that I enjoy, but the cutbacks are noticeable and frustrating.

I'm really not sure why everyone is so quick to defend Carnival on topics like this. We all know it's the bargain cruise line and our expectations should be inline with this. But I reject the notion that we shouldn't expect a better cut of meat than "the butler's steak" which is not good enough to appear on most restaurant menus.

I agree with the hit or miss assessment. I ordered it on the first night on my last cruise. I asked for medium rare. What came out was the strangest steak I’ve ever seen. It was about the color shape and size of a snickers bar. The temperature was well done. The meat was very tough. It was disappointing but luckily I had ordered a second entree so I only ate one bite of it.

On the last night one of my friends ordered the flat iron steak. I told him to order it rare because of what I had received the first night. What he got was a proper looking steak which he said was quite tasty.

So I guess there is a significant variance in the cut and quality of the flat iron steak on Carnival...

The last time I had the Flat Iron, it came out med rare as ordered. It looked and tasted more like a top sirloin. But, it was the Flat Iron.

It was as tender as any steak I have ever had on a cruise ship (including Steak restaurants).

Our neighboring table mate....not the same table, but now a days, they are so close together.....:) Anyway, he commented several times, how much was that steak? When he found out it was the Flat Iron, he said, " it looked more like a sirloin or strip steak" . He ordered the Flat Iron the next night!

As I have posted before, it is still hit or miss with the Flat Iron, but just like the small lobster tails, send them back and order a new one, if it is tough or not to your liking!;);)

Flat Iron Steak is definitely a cheap cut of meat. If you've only eaten Sirloin, you will probably still like it. If you've eaten Ribeyes and Filet Mignon, you will be disappointed.

The pure flavor of a sirloin beats that of a ribeye or filet, which seems washed out in comparison. To compensate the better steakhouses will lather the better cuts in spices or butter to add flavor. Plus they have a broiler that gives a char which is hard to get anywhere else. I do love the smoky goodness of a good wood or charcoal grilled steak, but you can't get that on a cruise.

I had a NY strip last night, which is a good compromise between flavor and tenderness.

Ribeye or filet will be more tender even when cooked more to the well side, while you never want to cook a sirloin well done unless you have a taste for beef jerky. There needs to still be some blood oozing out after you are done cooking it. I can only imagine how bad a flat iron steak would be cooked well done!

We ordered flat iron steak on the Inspiration last month and loved it. I was hesitant at first. I don't know why, but I thought it would be tough as leather. But quite the contrary. Would order it again.

I ordered one on my last cruise and although the cut of the steak wasn't anything to crow about it was VERY well seasoned and I will order again. (when I make myself a steak salt and pepper are the only things on it).

Looking forward to trying it. The thing I love about a cruise, and which I have done before, is just choose something else and wait a bit longer to get something I like if the first choice doesnt' work out.

I like your positive approach to this subject. Wikipedia has an informative page on the flat iron that I found interesting. It has to be carefully butchered to ensure a tender piece of meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak