DSLR purchase

sara mom

When buying a camera, it is always best to go to a place where you can play with the cameras before you buy! Only buy the camera that feels right and you find easy to use. As a courtesy, buy the camera from the place that let you play.

My DH will be greatly relieved! His sister was a photographer years ago and he remembers what she paid for her equipment. I am by no means a photographer, do not need the pro grade equipment, nor do my abilities warrant the need for such. I have always been interested in photography, but raising the kids, never had the extra money for it. Kids are grown, support themselves and I'm ready to get started on a new hobby. I have already had one of my photos published in the local newspaper! I was excited when I found out they were using it!

D3100: $600

Nikon 55-200mm f4.6~5.6 VR $250

Nikon 35mm f/1.8 = $199

Nikon SB700 speedlight = $329

Think Tank Photo Speed Freak bag = (@ Amazon: version 1, $104)

Total <$1,500

(don't tell your DH this, or you will "short change" yourself)

You would even have enough money left over for a Sigma 10-20mm f/4~5.6DC HSM ($479) if you desired, for those super wide angle shots on board ship. You will have to go with the Sigma to stay within your budget as the Nikon 10-24 is $900. I use a Tokina 11-16 that I prefer over the Nikon, but it will only autofocus on the more advanced Nikon DSLRs so that won't be an option for you. Still, there are some folks on this board that I think have the Sigma, and they could give you some info on this lens.

Other options to consider may also be an all-in-one lens, such as a Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6 which is pretty popular for travel due to it's compact size. But at $900 it will bust the budget, although you can sometimes buy them refurbished for as little as $625.

I have this lens and I bought it refurbished, and have had no issues with it. Unfortunately, though, refurbished lenses are not always available, so it is hit-or-miss, although B&H and Adorama often have the refurbished ones in stock. Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy a body-only D3100, so it will come with a 18-55mm kit lens that will end up being useless if you buy the 18-200mm all around lens. But you could always keep the 18-55mm kit lens and if you ever upgrade your camera, you could keep your 18-200mm and sell the D3100 with the 18-55mm lens.

Here is what I typically carry on a cruise:

Nikon D90

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6 VR II

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (however a D3100 cannot autofocus this lens).

Nikon 11.5mm f/2.8 fisheye (a D3100 cannot autofocus this lens either).

Nikon 40mm f/2.8 macro (I leave my 100mm macro home as this lens is smaller)

SB700 speedlight.

Think Tank photo Change-Up bag.

The Think Tank Change-Up is a bit smaller than the Speed Freak Version 1, but since the Speed Freak V1 is on close out, it is $40 less. The Speed Freak is the bag my son has, and it is a very nice bag. I can give you some links to a "what is in my bag" kinds of videos for both the Change Up and Speed Freak if you wish.

I don't use the fisheye or the macro that much, but they are nice to have.

I used to carry a 50mm f/1.8, but find that I did not use it a lot, so I usually leave it home and take the 40mm instead as I use the macro of the 40mm more than the low-light of the 50mm. But if I think I will need it, I can always take the 50mm as it is a small lens.

While the 40mm macro is not anywhere as useful as my 100mm macro, it still does a pretty good job. My son (he has a D3000) got a 40mm macro, and I liked it so much I bought one for cruises as again - it is smaller and lighter (I have been on this minimal equipment kick lately).

I have found that even with the 4 lenses I usually take, especially the fisheye and 40mm are small enough that they don't take up much space. Most of the time, I just have the camera with 18-200mm attached, the 11-16mm and SB700 flash in my small Think Tank Change Up bag, and leave the other lenses in my stateroom. It is a pretty compact package for a DSLR.

The Think Tank Change Up is a small bag, and it results in a pretty lightweight solution - at least for a DSLR.

(oh, and I do take a couple of piont & shoots too - but that is a different story).

I'm having fun spending your money.

Isn't it always fun to spend other's money? :D This info is great! Thanks for not trying to sell me on Canon. I looked at Canons and, although similar to Nikon, I liked the Nikon better. I can't see where one is better than the other for my level of experience and what I want to do with it. It's like the Ford/Chevy passion people have. I buy what I like and works for me.

For most trips, we drive and space is not an issue. As son says, "I've seen people move with less crap!" I could take everything I wanted. A flight and cruise changes all of that, so I'm looking for compact, double duty and lightweight. I will check into the bags you mentioned. I'm liking the 18-200mm lens, that would eliminate 1 lens in the bag. I never have liked the fisheye pictures so will probably never buy one of those lenses. I will check into the other lenses you mentioned.

I have followed your advice in the previous post, we don't have a dedicated camera store in my area, but I have darkened the doors of Best Buy a lot! I don't expect to get technical questions answered, but I have been able to play with the camera. DH has too, but his eyes glazed over with all the controls. If he uses it, it will be a glorified P&S. I am also getting him his own P&S when I find the right one for him. I need simple, rugged, waterproof. He does ok with mine and is happy with it (Kodak M320). I need to get him one that I can use for my snorkle trips. I know, typical female, buy a gift for him that I will use more. I still owe him for getting me a table saw for my birthday! I use it but not like he does. :D

Just for thought. I changed from Nikon DLSR, sold on ebay, and bought the Sony NEX-5N.

http://www.cameta.com/Sony-Alpha-NEX-5N-Digital-Camera-Body-E-18-55mm-OSS-Lens-Black-62930.cfm

which included

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Digital Camera Body & E 18-55mm OSS Lens (Black) with E 55-210mm OSS Zoom Lens + 16GB Card + 2 Filters + Case + Accessory Kit.

This is a great camera and the size is perfect for travel. I can also use my Nikon Lens with their adapter. I found the larger DLSR was to much for me to haul around. Also takes care Videos. I went on youtube to get the info on what the camera can do and was impressed. Sold my D7000 and kept my Nikon D5100 for now.

It's worth checking out if you are concerned about size.

Good Luck with your purchase

Tom :cool:

I have a Nikon D3100 and love it. If you have not ever had a DSLR camera before, you can't go wrong with this one. Its great..This is my first one and I'm glad I bought it.

I got my Nikon D3100 in October 2010 and have been well-pleased. Many don't realize that it shoots 1080p high def cinematic video with sound. We just got our first grandchild and that gives us important, new potentials with this camera.

From previous Nikon D50 I had, the 70-300mm lens didn't work properly with this new Nikon. Just got a new 55-300mm VR after using a friend's during our June Med trip. That 55-300mm Nikon lens is really good and they had a drop down in price to about $250 this lens that does well on long shots. From a few of the photo's shown below, you can see how good is that lens. I also have a Sigma 10-20mm, f4.0-5.6 that cost about $500 in mid 2008. The 18-55mm VR lens that comes with the camera is good and works for a wide range of shots taken. The large 3" viewing screen on the back is nice and works well for checking your progress, etc.

Being able to shoot 12mp RAW is really nice in allowing lots more "stuff" to edit and play with the computer and post. Below are a few examples for what this D3100 can do with these various lenses. Mostly I shoot things in the P setting. I like to concentrate on what is being shot, framing and let the camera do the work on focus, technical settings, etc.

Reactions for what this camera can do? These are from the June Med cruise. Lots of great sites and sights to shoot in these historic and interesting areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 54,182 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Used a manual setting, hand-held to get this shot of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace. At night, you want to hang out in and around San Marco Square to hear the various orchestras playing, see people enjoying, etc.:

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

These is a tighter view of St. Mark’s and its spectacular architecture and design in the heart of Venice shot with my 55-300mm VR Nikon lens.:

VeniceStMarksDetails.jpg

In Dubrovnik, we started with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing this unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peters and its massive, historic Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting in Rome. This was shot with my 10-20mm wide angle lens.:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

When the sun was setting as the Solstice sailed from Rome to Naples, here was the visual on the back lawn on the ship’s top, back level. Dramatic and beautiful!!:

SolsticeSunsetBackLawn.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics. Love the walled city! Will be comparing the 55-300mm to the 55-200mm and the 18-200mm. Decisions, decisions.

You probably have already thought about this, but the 18-200, to me at least, is more of a "walking around" lens than are the other two, which are really missing out on the wider angles. (E.g., you won't want to be shooting landscapes or the like at 55mm.) If you are traveling and don't want to carry a bunch of lenses or be changing lenses a lot, the 18-200 works very well. I have it on my D7000 and I really love it.

Thanks for posting these pics. Love the walled city! Will be comparing the 55-300mm to the 55-200mm and the 18-200mm. Decisions, decisions.

YES! Serious research and trade-offs to consider with one lens at 18-200mm versus the combo built around the 18-55mm as your base lens used with a longer telephoto. My 18-55mm works well and is a little lighter. Lots of different factors!!

Appreciate the kind comment on my pictures. Glad to know you're a person of such class, great taste and wonderful judgment.

Since you like Dubrovnik so much, here are two pix's below from there, plus a link to see even more:

Loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 54,182 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years.:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

I purchased a Nikon d5100 body with the 18-200mm lens. I was lucky because they were offering the lens at a discount if I purchased it with the body. It acts like a 27-300mm lens on a full frame. I really like the tilt swivel LCD. No DOF preview though. I took the body and this lens with me on our Hawaii cruise. I did pack some accessories and other items though. It was nice to simply carry the camera on my R-Strap on the shore excursions. One final note: I purchased the e-620 with the kit lenses, and after a couple months, I was looking to step up. Didn't feel the same with the Nikkor 18-200mm. But I have all the different combinations on my E-620.

Christmas finally came for me!!! I got the D3100 this week and loving it so far. Walked the yard yesterday taking a few pics. It's actually easier to use than I thought it would be. I read the manual with the camera in front of me, make a few changes to the settings and go take a few pictures. I also found some good, informative tutorials on YouTube that explains things really well. There isn't much to photograph around here in the winter, but I have some good pics of the cats, dog and cows. So far, I'm really happy with it! DH traded my huge crew cab truck in for a new, smaller car and cut my car payment in half, so now I have more money to buy lenses and gear.:D Will post some of the pics I've taken with it almost right out of the box. Nothing real special, just things around a farm during winter in mid Missouri.

BlueBoss,

First off, congrats on the new dSLR, you will love it for sure! I am personally a Canon guy, but the Nikon is a fine choice. I think people pick sides in this debate based on the price of their first dSLR and if they had a good experience.

I started off with an entry level Canon Rebel XTi (10MP plastic body), then moved to the 60D (18MP aluminum frame) which i carry in my bag along with the 1Ds Mark II (16.7MP, full frame, magnesium pro body).

Allow me to point you in the direction of this video:

This video shows the importance of great quality lenses as opposed to great pro quality bodies. Please, please, please don't short change yourself on lenses. I strapped a $2,600 lens to my 10MP plastic dSLR and took FANTASTIC pictures.

The poster of this video is great, and has many videos about dSLRs.

He is also a Nikon guy primarily ;).

Good luck and happy shooting.

Thanks for the link. That guy is easy to watch and it helps narrow the lens choice down some. I have until May to decide what lens I want, get it bought and practice with it. The kids nailed me this year with special events, high school graduation, a wedding, Army Basic Training graduation and, finally, DH and I on our next cruise to celebrate 'empty nest'. Thank God, I have just 2 kids! All of these events will need a zoom lens, we can't ever get a good 'photo op' seat.

Also another thing I forgot to mention, there are websites (and some brick and mortar shops, if there is one by you) that allow you to rent cameras and lenses. This can be twofold: you can "try out" camera(s) for as little as one day (in the case of a brick and mortar shop) to see if you like them! Also, you can rent a big, long, fast, expensive lens for a specific event or trip you are taking!

People will also look at you like you know what you are doing when you cruise with a $2500 lens! But only you know its a rental that you paid $200 for the week!!:cool:

TLCOhio, thanks for the pics, they are really great! Haven't had much time to do any shopping. Life took over here. I have a few days off now so will get back to shopping. :D

Appreciate the nice comments on my pictures. Great to hear that you have the Nikon D3100 and that the results you posted are looking so super good. Great progress and success!!! Keep up the wonderful work.

Depending on where you are going and like to do, my two other lenses have worked well. One is a Sigma 10-20mm, f4.0-5.6 wide angle. It has worked super for Europe and places where you want to capture the interior of large churches and palaces. Below are two examples/samples. Also, here are a couple of my key tips for doing pictures to have better success.

1. ZOOM/FRAMING: Fill the frame and make it interesting. Use your feet. Move closer. Zoom in or out. Make it tighter in the picture frame, etc. People don't want to be bored with a key subject or highlight being only in the middle 15% of the picture frame.

2. LOTS OF PICTURES: With digital, it is much easier and cheaper to take lots of pictures, see what you have, take more pictures, try different angles, etc. In the old 35 mm film days, you could not take as many different pictures and you were always guessing and hoping on exposure, what you really captured, etc. Then you need to be checking as you go on what you just shot, blow off the duds, etc. It's great instant feed-back on what's working and what's not. As you are riding on a bus, waiting in line, that picture checking is a good way to both pass the time and monitor your picture progress/success (or failure).

Other questions? Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 56,048 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc. A wide-angle lens helps capture these large, unique settings!:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

From St. Peter’s in Rome, this is the wide-angle view of the heart of this great Basilica (world's largest) and its Magnificent Dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

First off: TLCOhio.....AWESOME pics! Hard areas to shoot considering I don't think they allow flash? Am I correct on that?

That brings me to my second point: get a lens (at least one) with a large aperture (smaller "f" number) like a f1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2.8. These lenses allow more light to enter the camera, allowing for a faster shutter speed to help avoid blur.

Now, before people blow me up because f2.8 and larger lenses are EXPENSIVE, I know of many lenses that will not set your wallet ablaze. I bought a Canon 50mm f1.8 for a whopping $160 brand new from a camera store, no eBay or shady Hong Kong seller. Its noisy as hell when it focuses, but the 1.8 aperture is fantastic.

Bottom line, save save save money to buy a f2.8 lens, rather than getting sucked into buying 2 or 3 f4-5.6 lenses because the price was cheap. You will eventually realize the disadvantage of f4.

I'm still studying the prime lens offerings. Haven't made up my mind which would work better for me. Our upcoming events and trips that are planned are a Civil War reenactment, thinking the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses for that. Have no clue about son's high school graduation. It's in the gym with pretty good lighting. Daughter's June wedding, outside and early evening. Thinking the 18-55 lens for that. We are hiring a pro to do the photography since I will be shedding a few tears. Army graduation is usually held in a dark theater so I will need a zoom lens that can handle low light conditions. Is there such a beast? Finally, our cruise! We are planning a tour/beach in Roatan, hiking in the jungle in Belize and then the usual stop in Cozumel. I plan to have a wide angle lens by then and take everything with me in one camera bag with a smaller 'walk around' bag. We aren't flying so space is not an issue. I welcome any suggestions. These posts have been great to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Also another thing I forgot to mention, there are websites (and some brick and mortar shops, if there is one by you) that allow you to rent cameras and lenses. This can be twofold: you can "try out" camera(s) for as little as one day (in the case of a brick and mortar shop) to see if you like them! Also, you can rent a big, long, fast, expensive lens for a specific event or trip you are taking!

People will also look at you like you know what you are doing when you cruise with a $2500 lens! But only you know its a rental that you paid $200 for the week!!:cool:

The closest place to rent camera equipment to me is almost 100 miles away. Not sure the deposits are worth it though. A Nikon 12-24mm AF-S rents for $30 a day, $90 a week and a $1,000 deposit. This is all new to me, so I'm not sure if that's high, low or average for that lens. I think I would use this only if I was thinking about buying a VERY expensive lens and wanted to try it before I bought it.

I'm still studying the prime lens offerings. Haven't made up my mind which would work better for me. Our upcoming events and trips that are planned are a Civil War reenactment, thinking the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses for that.

Those will be fine, plenty of light outdoors for a lens with an f4-5.6

Have no clue about son's high school graduation. It's in the gym with pretty good lighting.

Gyms can be challenging. Light is often enough, but the color of the lights will do weird things to your camera. Get there a few mins early and try different white balance settings

Daughter's June wedding, outside and early evening. Thinking the 18-55 lens for that. We are hiring a pro to do the photography since I will be shedding a few tears. Army graduation is usually held in a dark theater so I will need a zoom lens that can handle low light conditions. Is there such a beast?

There are 70-200mm f 2.8 (price wise I can only speak to Canon, but those lenses can be anywhere from $900 f4, to $2600 f2.8) There are off brands like Tamron, Rokinon, and (eek) Sigma that make decent lenses for much cheaper than Canon/Nikon

(Finally, our cruise! We are planning a tour/beach in Roatan, hiking in the jungle in Belize and then the usual stop in Cozumel. I plan to have a wide angle lens by then and take everything with me in one camera bag with a smaller 'walk around' bag. We aren't flying so space is not an issue. I welcome any suggestions. These posts have been great to point me in the right direction.

You are spot on, that's exactly what I do, I travel to the ship with all of my Gear (2 camera bodies, 4 lenses, 2 flashes, extra batteries and cards for both cameras, MacBook Pro, and all associated camera accessories) then slim down to 1 maybe 2 bodies and 2 or 3 lenses depending on the days activities. Thanks!

The closest place to rent camera equipment to me is almost 100 miles away. Not sure the deposits are worth it though. A Nikon 12-24mm AF-S rents for $30 a day, $90 a week and a $1,000 deposit. This is all new to me, so I'm not sure if that's high, low or average for that lens. I think I would use this only if I was thinking about buying a VERY expensive lens and wanted to try it before I bought it.

That really stinks that the nearest shop is far away. I am spoiled by a camera shop within 10 miles that rents lenses, bodies, flashes. They Put a "hold" on your credit card for 50% of the MSRP of the equipment, and release the hold when you return the goods.

The rental website of my local shop for you to look at price comparisons: http://store.uniquephoto.com/e/index.php/rentals

The only other rental place that I knew of was http://www.rentglass.com

Never used them, always browsed around but never had the need to rent.

Feel free to ask any photo questions!

Brian

One of the bigger rentals: http://www.lensrentals.com/

Archived