Horizon and Zenith

boatlover

Hi,

I am thinking about booking a trip on the Horizon or Zenith to Bermuda. I have been reading on other boards that these ships have seen better days. I know one, if not both, have been sold which would explain the lack of upkeep. Has anyone sailed either of these recently? What is the condition. I am not all that picky but want to be careful how I spend my $$$. Thanks.

We were just on the Horizon for the first time last week. My family and I have been on 4 prior cruises with Celebrity before sailing on her. 3 of those cruises were on ships that were less than a year old.

Even though we have been spoiled by being on the new ships, we were still very happy with the condition of the Horizon. Even though she was 15 years old (with a refurbishing done in 1998 or so), I was impressed with her condition. Although not in pristine shape everywhere, there was nothing about it that had me thinking, "yuck, an old ship". I would sail on her or Zenith without hesitation (except I really like balcony cabins). I will be very sorry to see Horizon transfer out of the fleet later this year.

We did a 21 day back to back on Horizon in Feb.-Mar. and it was one of the best cruises we have experienced (12 on Celebrity). Yes, Horizon has been sold, but to a subsidiary of the parent company (rcl).Yes, there is a carpet stain by the bow elevators on deck 5 (didn't bother our cruise), but there is no lack of maintenance or enthusiasm by the crew. Go for it!

Don't believe everything you read. I was on Horizon for the second time in February. Best of my 16 cruises including 4 other Celebrity ships. On deck five where the purser's office is the carpet is badly stained from high seas breaching the access doors. It's not worn out, just stained. That is the only thing I saw that wasn't near perfect. Best food in the DR and the service is without compare. On larger ships you just can't match Horizon.

I guess I'll have to move to the Century in the future.

I can see why we get conflicting reports on this board regarding the condition of ships. I agree 100% with the above posts.

While on the Horizon I sat behind a man in the buffet who spent the whole time complaining about the condition of the ship. Everything from the windows, the cabins, the carpets, and the older look of the buffet area. When I was leaving I asked him why he had booked an older ship since he obviously preferred newer. He said that he had gotten a good price for the cruise. I think people need to make wiser choices. :p

Boatlover, There is no lack of upkeep. As long as you take into consideration that she is not a sparkling brand new ship you will hopefully enjoy your cruise on the Horizon as much as we did. I just saw a post from a friend who is on her right now and she is raving about her cruise and she's pretty fussy. :)

By the way, we were on the Zenith last year and felt the same way about her but we thought the staff on the Horizon was the best ever.

Hi:) if you want to try Horizon you have 6 months left! She leaves the fleet in October.

I am going in Sept, join me? Sailing from Philly to Bermuda on 9-10!

Good Monday Mornin' Lois. Do you have enough folks for the Cruise-Critic/Celebrity Party? If not, "boatlover" can go with you all.:D Otherwise, I'll bet "boatlover" can get a good deal for OUR June 6th Sailing out of Norfolk. Have a great day, all. ENJOY!

Hi Rob:) I started a ROLL CALL but have nobody else going so far but me:eek:

I checked the CCParty page and it shows 8 others have already signed up but nobody has checked in on the ROLL CALL.

Maybe it was something I said?;) Hopefully as the spring and summer arrive so will a few more cruisers!

Our family of four traveled on the Zenith for a 14 day cruise just over a year ago. Although the ship is older, we loved most everything about her. The service was wonderful, and we didn't think anything looked worn out. The dining room seemed a bit plain as compared to some newer ships, but that's all I can complain about. My oldest daughter (age 20) and I LOVED the Cova Cafe. It has such a wonderful atmosphere, and we would hang there every night, getting a cup of coffee, playing trivia, etc. She would sometimes just sit and read there. My youngest daughter (age 14) and I loved the hot dogs, hamburgers and great fries available at the back of the ship. It's nice to have something quick and self-serve. I also love the tables with umbrellas back there and the view down every layer of steps to the water! Unbelievable. Great service, great cruise. No complaints.

My family was on the same cruise as Mahdc a few weeks ago on the Horizon. He and the others are spot on. The ship is in very good condition and the crew is the most welcoming I have seen.

Hi Lois,

You and I have missed each other a couple of times on sailings on the Century and Horizon (you cancelled I remember last yr.) by just weeks. You sound like we'd have a lot of fun together! I have enjoyed your posts.

We're booked on the same week as Traveller (Rob) and looking so forward to it. There are 10 in my family going so it is a reunion of sorts. My 2 sisters and 1 neice sailed on the Horizon last September we and had such a good time that several other family members now want to go. You'll love the ship. Even after being spoiled on the Century I stilled loved the Horizon. The crew is wonderful and the size makes for intimacy among crew and passengers. Hopefully it hasn't changed in 9 months!

Sorry we'll miss each other again but I know you'll have a great time :D

Hi,

I am thinking about booking a trip on the Horizon or Zenith to Bermuda. I have been reading on other boards that these ships have seen better days. I know one, if not both, have been sold which would explain the lack of upkeep. Has anyone sailed either of these recently? What is the condition. I am not all that picky but want to be careful how I spend my $$$. Thanks.

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on Zenith which was a real bargain fare wise, a great itinerary including several ports we had never seen, some excellent entertainment and excellent service. Condition was fine and met expectations. Its an older ship without the visual impact of the M class but in talking to many passengers it has a very very loyal following who have taken numerous return trips specifically to be aboard this ship. I would have no reservations in sailing on her again as long as I clould get a long (over 10 day) trip.

We, just like hoover5000, just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Zenith yesterday. We LOVED the ship. This was our first cruise with Celebrity, but after this trip, I would find it hard to go back to RCCL or Norweigian. The food and service were much better than the other lines in our opinion, and although it isn't a flashy new ship, it felt like home. It was a very comfortable and relaxing vacation. The crew treated us like old friends, and we hope to keep in touch through email. If you are looking for glitz, look elsewhere, but this ship is loved and well taken care of by it's crew.

Hi,

We just got home form the 3/27/05 sailing of Zenith. We had a great time. We would sail on her again if the price was as cheap as the cruise we just took. This was our second cruise on Zenith. I have a lot of cruises under my belt. With that being said here is what I think. The ship shows her age. Most of the public rooms were fine. But the public bathrooms I felt were in bad shape. Also when the curtains in our room were closed, you could see the sun light comming through the holes. The food for the most part was good. Mind you I took the Zenith cruise 15 days after I got off of HAL's Zaandam (you can't even begin to compare the two ships) The food was better on the Zaandam. Of course, we paid the about the same price for Zaandam cruise (one week long) as we did for two weeks on Zenith.

So, if the price is right, go for it. We all had fun on Zenith

geocruiser. I was on Zuiderdam in Oct and althogh the food was very good, I didn't think it matched the DR food of any of my 5 Celebrity cruises.

Almost forgot the meatloaf with red wine sauce on Zuiderdam. The most terrible meal I've had in 16 cruises. Thankfully, that meal was not typical.

Hi Hdawson,

I don't know what the food is like on the Zuiderdam. But what I can say is that food can be different from ship to ship with in the same line. We were also on HAL's Noordam (food was bad) and the old Westerdam (where the food was good, but not any where as good as the Zaandam). We were on the Zaandam twice and both times it was great. So after 30 plus cruises I still feel that the Zaandam was a better ship (for me) than the

Zenith. But like I said I would still sail on Zenith again if the price was right.

Geo

Hello All,

Just booked a trip on Horizon for June 25th to Bermuda. Anyone else going on that date? The only other Celebrity ship I've tried was the Galaxy a couple years ago. That was great time. I'm hoping for the same on Horizon. Anyone know how the two compare?

We just got back two weeks ago from the Horizon. Many of the public rooms look fine, the service was great, and the food was excellent. The pool deck area is not looking too good and there are not enough deck chairs in the shade to meet the demand. I was very disappointed that our room (outside cabin and the front of Deck 9) had a public walkway outside the room and no tinted windows for privacy. We had to keep our curtains closed when we were in the room during the day. What a drag. :mad: Otherwise, it was a great cruise.

We were on the Horizon a couple weeks ago, and loved the ship. The crew was upbeat and friendly. Maintanance was very high. Having been on the Royal Empress, a year and a half ago, and the Royal Princess, in 2001 I have been on ships in bad shape. The Horizon is wonderful in comparison! Those ships were dirty and worn out. On the Royal Empress, you couldn't even see your reflection from in the mirrors. Both ships were slated for badly needed drydock work. Many people have justifiably complained about our particular cruise, but the problems were really weather related, no ship could have ridden the seas we were in and been a remotely smooth ride. In fact, one night, even half of the crew got seasick. You can't blame the ship for the seas. Food and entertainment are top notch and I still wish I could have our waiter and cabin steward move in with us.

We have sailed Zenith three times and love her. The crew is fantastic! They like to resail on her because the ship is small and they "feel like family". She doesn't have the bells and whistles of the new and larger ships but it doesn't take ten minutes to get anywhere either---from stem to stern in no time. We would love to go to Bermuda on her. We have been on Horizon once and liked her also.

• 3 weeks later...

Went on Horizon last May to Bermuda and am going again in June. You won't find a better deal than these 2 ships.

Hi,

Hi,

We were on the Zenith April 23 cruise to Bermuda. The ship is showing its age in a few spots, but nothing that should impair your enjoyment of the ship and the cruise. I would sail on Zenith again with no hesitation.:)

Define "old"

Like many others replying here, I agree with those who say there's nothing wrong with Horizon and Zenith.

Look at the QE2. She's 35 years old, and STILL in her prime!

Horizon and Zenith are still hatchlings compared to the QE!

;)

I go by a certain authors sentiment on sailing on an 'older ship' .... it's not fresh from the shipyard, but has a homey feel. This vessel has the atmosphere of an old European hotel that improves with age.

Who cares if there's no balcony cabins, a 20 story atrium, and a KFC..... experience those ships before they become just a memory of the real golden age of sea travel.

We have sailed both the Zenith and the Horizon in the past year and had a great time on both. No these are not new "megaships" and they are older but they are not nearly as worn as some posts would lead you to believe. There are normal signs of wear but no worse than any of the newer ships. they are still kept spotlessly clean and well maintained. I actually enjoy the style and smaller size; it just feels more intimate and friendly.

We shall miss Horizon terribly.

Just arrived home from the Zenith this Morning and had a great time. Service and food was outstanding (Best of 12 Celebrity Cruises). Spoke to several people on the Horizon in Hamilton and they were extremely unhappy with the cleaniness of there ship. Bermuda was great

Archived