Mexico in July.

Sparkie3

Hi guys,

Me and the DH are hoping to head to the USA in July. And one of the things we want to do is try is cruising to Mexico for a week.

There doesnt seem to be many cruises at this time. Can any one give me some tips , looking at about $100 p/p per day. I would appreciate any help, we are from Australia(dont hold that against us ;)

Thanks Sparkie:)

As others have said, your only option is Carnival at that time of year aboard the Splendor. At your price point, you could get an interior cabin, add a couple of hundred more for an ocean view and yet another couple of hundred for a balcony/verandah.

All-inclusives are also an option, but I think you'll be pressed to find an AI with air for 7 nights at that price point.

If you decide to do an air/land package instead of a cruise, look at either Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas (referred to as simply "Cabo" by most of us in Southern California). Both are good if you're looking for touristy cities with a lot of activities and resorts. On the other hand if you simply want to chill out in a smaller, relaxed area I recommend Loreto or La Paz. All of these cities have nonstop air service from the LA area airports.

Cabo is rather tropical, very similar to Cairns for climate, size, and the general "feel". The other 3 cities are in a desert environment...very interesting environment where stark desert meets the ocean. La Paz has a world-class marine preserve nearby if you snorkel or scuba. Cabo has excellent sport fishing.

The safety issues with Mexico have spared all of these areas so far. Mazatlan has experienced problems and the cruise lines have removed it from their itineraries and spend 2 nights in Cabo instead.

Last comment, Air Tran (now part of discount airline Southwest) begins nonstop flights from John Wayne Orange County airport (SNA) to Cabo (SDC) begin in June; you might find a good introductory fare.

Cabo is rather tropical, very similar to Cairns for climate, size, and the general "feel". The other 3 cities are in a desert environment...very interesting environment where stark desert meets the ocean. La Paz has a world-class marine preserve nearby if you snorkel or scuba. Cabo has excellent sport fishing.

Is that a typo? I have always considered Cabo to be a desert climate - certainly the flora and fauna is that of a desert and the literature seems to confirm this.

"Cabo San Lucas has an arid Sonoro Gulf Coast Desert climate, averaging over 350 days a year of sunshine. If you have to ask what the weather will be like during your vacation, the answer is sunny"

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Cabo-Weather.htm

PV on the other hand more reminds me of Cairns in terms of the greenery surrounding the city.

Archived