Excursion Tipping?

account4fun

I've read about tipping policies for restaurants but what about excursions? Also what do people do if it's an owner operated tour?

It is up to you. We have been in groups where some tipped and others did not. No matter how great the tour, do not feel obligated to give a huge tip, there are getting well compensated. My wife and I gave maybe 5 euros and they were grateful. :)

We tipped most of the guided tours we went on but did not tip when we were just taking a shuttle somewhere or once when we really did not feel the tour guide did a good job. We usually tipped about $5-15 euros pp depending on the length of the tour and the effort of the guide. We had a guide that stopped at a road side market and bought treats to share with us-he obviously got a better tip.

Thanks for the comments! I think a 5-10 Euro tip sounds appropriate for a good tour. I have been on many tours in the Caribbean where tips are expected regardless of service and even quick shuttle trips have tip jars. It seems in certain places (even in restaurants) tips are expected rather then earned.

Yes, we most definitely tip the usual 10%-15% (everywhere in the world we traveled) if we feel the driver did an excellent job!! On a shore excursion in Western Caribbean once the tour operator was quite up front about tipping at the end of the tour....we found that a bit off putting because we didn't like the pressure. But we always tip for great service.

I've read about tipping policies for restaurants but what about excursions? Also what do people do if it's an owner operated tour?

We used Rome in Limo last Sept for Positano and Ravello and tipped the driver $50. It was well worth it.

Yeh, we used Romeinlimo also last year and tipped a similar amount for the 6 of us. It really isn't a whole lot when you add it up per person. And our driver was fabulous!

For me, I tipped around 10% to 15% of the tour depending. There were 3 of us so the cost was already hefty. I think the drivers did a great job and we could not have accomplished what we did without them, so for me it was a matter of value for our experience. Also for me, they treated my 80 mother like a queen. She is hard of hearing and they all made sure they talked directly at her so that she had no trouble hearing them and folding her arm in theirs to help her walk. Making her feel that special was worth every dime. Funny story: tipping is not usual in Barcelona (well Spain) and I again gave the 10%. I swear the guy almost wet his pants with excitement. My mother says "I've never seen anyone get so excited about a tip.... that alone made it worthwhile". I ended up tipping between 60 to 80 Euros per tour.

Please, please all you Americans, whom I have found overall to be very kind and generous people! In Europe and here in Australia, and in fact in most of the world other than your part, the tipping customs are different. Although we love your technology and some of your movies and even some of your food , we do not generally want your tipping customs.

I understand that you feel bad about giving no tips or small tips, but the main thing is to restrict tips to situations where they are deserved. Not for bad service or mediocre service.

In our country, the waitperson, for example, should be being paid $20 an hour, the same as someone working as a shop assistant, child care worker, hairdresser, aged care assistant etc. No-one tips them , not even hairdressers here. So if we start tipping the waitperson when the service is slack, it encourages them to continue being slack and or rude! When we do tip for decent service, it is generally greatly appreciated. We received a kiss on New Year's Eve for a mere $10 tip for the drinks waitress, but then maybe she was as relieved as we were to be going home and escape from a particularly dreadful band!

Please, please all you Americans, whom I have found overall to be very kind and generous people! In Europe and here in Australia, and in fact in most of the world other than your part, the tipping customs are different. Although we love your technology and some of your movies and even some of your food , we do not generally want your tipping customs.

I understand that you feel bad about giving no tips or small tips, but the main thing is to restrict tips to situations where they are deserved. Not for bad service or mediocre service.

In our country, the waitperson, for example, should be being paid $20 an hour, the same as someone working as a shop assistant, child care worker, hairdresser, aged care assistant etc. No-one tips them , not even hairdressers here. So if we start tipping the waitperson when the service is slack, it encourages them to continue being slack and or rude! When we do tip for decent service, it is generally greatly appreciated. We received a kiss on New Year's Eve for a mere $10 tip for the drinks waitress, but then maybe she was as relieved as we were to be going home and escape from a particularly dreadful band!

:confused: The question "was" about "excursions"... We generous Americans don't tip for "bad" service.....:)

:confused: The question "was" about "excursions"... We generous Americans don't tip for "bad" service.....:)

LOL, thank you for giving me the best laugh I have had all weekend. "Americans don't tip for bad service". :D

Of course we do, why do you think we have so many tip levels, everything from 5% to 20%? We feel guilty if we don't give something no matter what the circumstances are. Of course we probably feel guilty because we so grossly underpay wait staff in the US but that is another topic.:rolleyes:

You as a "generous American" may not tip for bad service but most of your country men and women do. I'm sure I have. :o

LOL, thank you for giving me the best laugh I have had all weekend. "Americans don't tip for bad service". :D

Of course we do, why do you think we have so many tip levels, everything from 5% to 20%? We feel guilty if we don't give something no matter what the circumstances are. Of course we probably feel guilty because we so grossly underpay wait staff in the US but that is another topic.:rolleyes:

You as a "generous American" may not tip for bad service but most of your country men and women do. I'm sure I have. :o

LOL I agree that I have absolutely tipped for bad service because I feel guilty. I definitely tip less but always something. I had a waiter stop me from leaving a restaurant once because his tip was less then 10%. He was horrible and didn't even deserve that but I was definitely embarassed to be called out!

In the press today one of our prominent restaurant owners is complaining about having to pay his wait staff $40 an hour on weekends in Melbourne. When I think of the dedicated carers in my mother-in-laws's nursing home, getting paid half that to bathe and feed patients who can be extremely difficult, it makes me think that the restaurant service may need to be not good, but exceptional, before I will tip in this country. (I know what I must tip in the US and I do, don't growl at me!)

In the press today one of our prominent restaurant owners is complaining about having to pay his wait staff $40 an hour on weekends in Melbourne. When I think of the dedicated carers in my mother-in-laws's nursing home, getting paid half that to bathe and feed patients who can be extremely difficult, it makes me think that the restaurant service may need to be not good, but exceptional, before I will tip in this country. (I know what I must tip in the US and I do, don't growl at me!)

$40 an hour for restaurant service! Registered Nurses in Canada who have graduated with a 4 year degree only start at $30!!!!! Without them, people die....

Glad I managed to make you laugh ;).. How much of a "tip" should I expect from you :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
On the subject of tipping, do you also tip ship shore excursions driver/guide?

On the ships tours, with a bus of 40 people, we tipped 1-2 EUR figuring if most of the 40 did likewise, the driver/guide would have a good sized tip.

On private excursions, we usually added 5 EUR pp so for 6 of us we felt the 30 EUR was a good tip.

We never actually figured a percentage like we do at home, but knowing tipping isn't really customary in Europe, we still felt we had to tip something. I have never in my life tipped anyone 50 dollars or Euros.

And in response to the poster that said US patrons tip for bad service, I DO NOT. I have left many restaurants where the service was terrible, without leaving any tip, or I may leave 5 pennies on the table (I was raised that pennies show how absolutely terrible the service was) and that you more than likely would not return to that establishment.

I am astounded to hear the wait staff in other countries might earn $40 an hour, after 30 years in the working force, I don't even make that kind of wage. I thought I was doing good at $28 an hour. I believe our wait staff only make about $8 an hour plus tips.

But tipping is a personal thing. My husband tips less than I do, my best friend tips more than I do. So each individual has to decide what is a good tip to them.

Archived