Sea between Miami an Mexico in Febr.

DanielBu

Hello,

I am planning a cruise to the western Carib. for February 2012, starting in Miami.

What is the sea (in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico) like during this time of year? Do I have to expect a higher risk of storms, high waves, seasicknes than in the southern Carib.?

Thx. for any advice given.

Frank

Berlin / Germany

Since you're from Germany, I can understand the question.

You shouldn't EXPECT any major problems with high seas, waves, or rollers. Might it happen? Yes. However, major storms in this part of the world are most likely to occur from June until late September. That is the hurricane season.

Thx. for the answers.

Our cruise will start at the 2nd of March, so still winter. We know the southern Carib. well and never had a problem there.

We will be on the Millenium and combine three cruises, so we will be on the Atlantic (going to Miami) three times and I was a bit worried because of that. I know that it is not the hurricane season (we stay home in Germany in summer, the Baltic Sea can be nice then, too;)).

So as far as I now know, we will be fine in Febr.

Happy New Year to all of you, whereever you are from.....

As a general statement, the Caribbean is fairly calm. That's not to say that a storm cannot stir it up, though major storms are not common in February.

Also as a general statement, the Atlantic will be a bit rougher, but again if there is no storm to whip it up, it should be tolerable as well. That part of the ocean is not as rough generally as the North Atlantic!

General statements are great, but on any given day, the conditions can be rougher than the "norm." What it was like last February is not a certain prediction of how it will be this February. What it was like last week really says nothing for next week. You can get estimates of average sea state for specific months, and that is about the best you can go by.

As a major general statement, I would not worry myself into being upset and/or seasick when it is not warranted. Just take it easy, and you should be fine. It's not a time for major storms to be prevalent, and short of that, the seas will be tolerable in the Atlantic, and reasonably calm in the Caribbean.

We have cruised several times to the Western Caribbean in February. We have experienced smooth sailing each time. Generally speaking, the seas are very calm during this time of year, but there can always be s freak storm that can cause rougher seas. Not the norm, but it can happen.

Archived