Volendam Cabin Upgrade

bluegumflats

In Feb 2011 we booked cabin Cat.DD 7086 (one of those secret cabins on the Volendam), and I'm sure that I asked the TA that I did not want an upgrade, but today I was on the HAL website to print off some luggage tags as we are due to depart on the 4th Jan 2012 from Sydney to the South Pacific......and can't wait:D

When I logged on low & behold our cabin had changed to AA 7084!!!!!! OMG what an awesome upgrade!!!!:D:):D:)

Is it too good to be true or will this be changed again?????

Has anyone had this experience...only to come to boarding day & be told you have yet another cabin???

Cruising with HAL again & can't wait.

Is it too good to be true or will this be changed again?????

Has anyone had this experience...only to come to boarding day & be told you have yet another cabin???

Congratulations! You may get a further upgrade, but it's not likely. I've never heard of anyone getting an involuntary downgrade once they've gotten an initial assignment.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam we were first given an assignment that was 6 steps above what we paid for, but still an Outside. Then 3 days before sailing we upgraded another 9 steps, to an almost-top V balcony!

Great upgrade! On our Prinsendam cruise a fellow roll call member got a fabulous upgrade and then got an upsell offer a few days later:D A very nice on eat that:D

So, who knows, it could happen. Your situation could improve even more:) it certainly won't worsen:D

Wow! Good for you - excellent upgrade! But truthfully, I would've been just fine remaining in the "secret cabin." We had 7056, the sister secret cabin on the Amsterdam for the 14 day Alaska cruise in 2010 - and WE LOVED IT!! You just went from great to greater - good on you! Have a wonderful time!

Wow! Good for you - excellent upgrade! But truthfully, I would've been just fine remaining in the "secret cabin." We had 7056, the sister secret cabin on the Amsterdam for the 14 day Alaska cruise in 2010 - and WE LOVED IT!! You just went from great to greater - good on you! Have a wonderful time!

Yes we were looking forward to our secret cabin, but even happier with what we have now:D...still in the same area 2 cabins away.

• 9 months later...

Do these secret cabins (7086 on the Volendam) have a view out a window? It's kind of hard to tell by looking at the deck plan? And what makes the cabin so special? I'm about to book a cabin on the Volendam and am traveling solo. I want a window for sure and can't stomach the single supplement cost for a verandah, sadly, which is what I'm used to.

Yes, cabin 7086 on Volendam has a large window overlooking the "secret deck" - just one flight of stairs up to the Lido/SeaView Bar/outdoor pool. We sailed in the sister cabin (7056) on the Amsterdam to Alaska and LOVED it. The location was perfect. There are several lounge chairs and two benches on the secret deck, which by the way is literally five steps out your cabin door, thru double doors to the deck. Very convenient and the wake views are just mesmerizing! Another plus with the window is that the bed is located parallel to the window with a small walkway between the bed and the window, so you can walk right up to look out. The cabin is rather oddly shaped (check Joanie's sticky on the top of this board for photos), but we didn't mind it for two, so I imagine w/one you would have plenty of storage space and floor space. Would highly recommend this cabin - so great to be able to climb one set of stairs up to the aft of the Lido for a quick snack, a drink, or some lounging by the pool. Enjoy!

Do these secret cabins (7086 on the Volendam) have a view out a window? It's kind of hard to tell by looking at the deck plan? And what makes the cabin so special? I'm about to book a cabin on the Volendam and am traveling solo. I want a window for sure and can't stomach the single supplement cost for a verandah, sadly, which is what I'm used to.

I had this cabin to myself back about five years ago for a 10 day Panama cruise when it was still classed as an inside and loved it. It has more than enough space for a solo traveler and the easy access to the lido deck above was great. Also, there was never an issue with noise from said deck and never encountered another soul on the deck that the cabin overlooks. Here's a link to a small Picasa album of the cabin and it's views, hope it's helpful!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109609468516811350336/Volendam7086?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIPzhcTbl8OFygE&feat=directlink

scluvsrain - ask your TA to check if cabin 7083 is available. It is the identical cabin on the opposite hallway, aft on the Navigation deck. The only real difference is that the view out your window is partially blocked by the open staircase up to the aft Lido area. Still a great bargain, and a great location. Good luck!

Archived