My public letter to Royal: why do you keep pushing me away?

lawgirl

Woman threw a bottle of red wine at her husband smashed it in their room and they both got thrown off the ship.

Oh the humanity!

(I'm mean ruining a good bottle of wine, not them getting tossed off the ship :D)

Oh the humanity!

(I'm mean ruining a good bottle of wine, not them getting tossed off the ship :D)

Yep and it was red, they were in the Royal suite and wow what a mess it made! Took them a whole day to get it cleaned up. It was everywhere....

Wow.. I started quite a thread! I have posted for a number of years and never hit this nerve!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions. Although I think somewhere in here I was called cheap and/or a moocher of free booze. To the contrary, I probably have one or at most two glasses of wine in the CL per night. Not some huge savings compared to what I spent on my ten or so RCI cruises.

In fact, I like the CL because of meeting interesting people and making friends. And that it was an adult venue. I like not worrying about our conversations or having to discuss kid friendly topics. I like that the Conceirge got me at the Captains table one cruise. That most of the concierges remember our names and drinks. I guess I just like dressing up and feeling special at a cocktail party. And I think with kids, it is just a different atmosphere. And I fear that with attention on children and monitoring them, the Conceirge just won't be able to be as accommodating or fun.

Please note, I don't dislike kids. I just want some adult time too. If I barged into the pirate party at Ocean Adventure and took away the kids atmosphere by drinking wine and talking about adult matters, parents and kids would be frustrated and would want their kids only spot back. Why is this so different?

My main point, however, was that I do not like being strung along. It is not about the current rules, but those in place when I booked all these cruises. It is about seeing a set of perks and making an informed decision as a consumer to cruise Royal, at least in part, to obtain a status level so I could get those perks. And then AFTER spending my money and achieving status, perks are changed.

In my case, that "prized perk" was to get to Diamond so I could get to the CL. When they took that away, I wrote everyone I could at Royal. And I said, ok, changing market or too many diamonds so Royal made a business decision. I decided to continue in suites and strive to make D+ to get the lounge. Now, they take my adult refuge, changing the rules on me again.

I know some will think I am strange, but I remember my first welcome back party. I remember everyone getting dressed up and being greeted by the crew. Back then, you ordered whatever drink you wanted. Appetizers were passed on trays and I thought wow this is so nice... Better than any other type of vacation. I just felt special. And the next cruise in a suite! I thought the CL was the best thing since sliced bread! A fun cocktail party every night!

That feeling continued until the past few years. I was sold on cruising. I was one of Royal's best ambassadors, telling people how great they are and how the loyalty perks are unbelievable. Now, not so much. And the way things are going, by the time I get to D+, my nightly party will be in the incinerator room with reduced price Sutter Home.

Personally, I don't think it's wise for them to lose me or loyal customers like me. They lose not just me, but all of those I convinced to try a cruise AND to take it on Royal.

Thanks for listening and for all your comments. I will send this to Royal.

Wow.. I started quite a thread! I have posted for a number of years and never hit this nerve!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions. Although I think somewhere in here I was called cheap and/or a moocher of free booze. To the contrary, I probably have one or at most two glasses of wine in the CL per night. Not some huge savings compared to what I spent on my ten or so RCI cruises.

In fact, I like the CL because of meeting interesting people and making friends. And that it was an adult venue. I like not worrying about our conversations or having to discuss kid friendly topics. I like that the Conceirge got me at the Captains table one cruise. That most of the concierges remember our names and drinks. I guess I just like dressing up and feeling special at a cocktail party. And I think with kids, it is just a different atmosphere. And I fear that with attention on children and monitoring them, the Conceirge just won't be able to be as accommodating or fun.

Please note, I don't dislike kids. I just want some adult time too. If I barged into the pirate party at Ocean Adventure and took away the kids atmosphere by drinking wine and talking about adult matters, parents and kids would be frustrated and would want their kids only spot back. Why is this so different?

My main point, however, was that I do not like being strung along. It is not about the current rules, but those in place when I booked all these cruises. It is about seeing a set of perks and making an informed decision as a consumer to cruise Royal, at least in part, to obtain a status level so I could get those perks. And then AFTER spending my money and achieving status, perks are changed.

In my case, that "prized perk" was to get to Diamond so I could get to the CL. When they took that away, I wrote everyone I could at Royal. And I said, ok, changing market or too many diamonds so Royal made a business decision. I decided to continue in suites and strive to make D+ to get the lounge. Now, they take my adult refuge, changing the rules on me again.

I know some will think I am strange, but I remember my first welcome back party. I remember everyone getting dressed up and being greeted by the crew. Back then, you ordered whatever drink you wanted. Appetizers were passed on trays and I thought wow this is so nice... Better than any other type of vacation. I just felt special. And the next cruise in a suite! I thought the CL was the best thing since sliced bread! A fun cocktail party every night!

That feeling continued until the past few years. I was sold on cruising. I was one of Royal's best ambassadors, telling people how great they are and how the loyalty perks are unbelievable. Now, not so much. And the way things are going, by the time I get to D+, my nightly party will be in the incinerator room with reduced price Sutter Home.

Personally, I don't think it's wise for them to lose me or loyal customers like me. They lose not just me, but all of those I convinced to try a cruise AND to take it on Royal.

Thanks for listening and for all your comments. I will send this to Royal.

I agree, maybe you should print out this whole thing and mail it to them....

lawgirl,

Go sail Celebrity or some other premium line.

Royal is fixated on

1) increasing market share

2) getting more first time cruisers

3) expanding globally

They have done all their market segmentation, forecasting of future demand etc etc... and made a business decision that this was the way to go.

Royal knew that going down this way would surely hurt their premium clientele. So they have given you Elite status on Celebrity, once you get Diamond on RCI.

If you are Diamond on RCI, I think they want you on Celebrity.

So, go for Celebrity.

[quote name='SPDBigG']Seriously??? Your trying to make this into a class war? That's a new spin on this board.[/quote]

There will always be snobbish people everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

There is no turning back for Royal now. Their strategy is clear, and it is working.
While 2009 was a tough year, 2010 was a pretty good year, financials-wise.

[quote name='Iluvcruising2']lawgirl,

Go sail Celebrity or some other premium line.

Royal is fixated on

1) increasing market share
2) getting more first time cruisers
3) expanding globally

They have done all their market segmentation, forecasting of future demand etc etc... and made a business decision that this was the way to go.

Royal knew that going down this way would surely hurt their premium clientele. So they have given you Elite status on Celebrity, once you get Diamond on RCI.

If you are Diamond on RCI, I think they want you on Celebrity.

So, go for Celebrity.[/quote]

You're recommendation may serve some well but Celebrity doesn't measure up for me and they don't offer a balcony discount for C&A members.

[quote name='Cruisin824']The cruising world does revolve around families as well as individuals. You and I will not be here forever so they want children to be on a cruise as they are the future revenue generation. Had my wife never been on a cruise I would have likely never gone on one as I never went as a child. By taking my children they are exponentially more likely to cruise when they are adults as they have enjoyed the experience. Their future revenue trumps the desire to have a child free booze bender in the CL every night. Sorry if this offends you but it is what it is.

I think I will give you my flame proof vest once I am done with it as you will be crucified for not being adult only friendly. Too bad everyone forgets they were a child once. I sure hope they weren't a nuisance to the entire population of the earth when they were young :rolleyes:. As for the levels....the tone of the OP said it all, they are not getting their free belly up to the bar in the CL time they were hoping for. Such a shame to pay so much for a cruise yet you can't enjoy it without free alcohol. They want perks...here is one. You are on a cruise that many people in this world cannot afford. Enjoy your PERK![/QUOTE]

How is it even possible to interpret my original post, in which I tried to express my opinion and reasons therefore, as Statements made by a person upset I can't belly up to the bar for a free bender. You don't even know me and certainly shouldn't insult me personally. Unkind people make it difficult to post honest opinions on CC.

[quote name='lawgirl']
Thanks for listening and for all your comments. I will send this to Royal.[/quote]

Good for you is what I say :) I think ALL of us would be very interested with what, if anything, RCI comes back at you with as far as a reply goes. Please keep us posted on how it turns out?

[quote name='SPDBigG']You're recommendation may serve some well but Celebrity doesn't measure up for me and they don't offer a balcony discount for C&A members.[/QUOTE]

Also, let's not forget that celebrity IS a different product than RCI... And that different product isn't what everyone who sails RCI wants. It follows logically that most people who have reached the upper echelons of the C&A program have gotten there because they like the RCI product... Which, again, is different from Celebrity.

[QUOTE=SPDBigG;31803650. The age old 'things change' is a joke when you have people who have literally invested life savings in a company only to be ignored.[/QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail on the head, they have your money, they now want my daughters. :rolleyes:

She is only six and has a heck of a lot of vacations ahead of her. Not only as a child, but also as a adult. It's like the beer adds, they are for (20s) kids, because they don't have a brand yet. Why adv to a 40 year old? They are all ready set in their brand.

[quote name='lawgirl'] And the way things are going, by the time I get to D+, my nightly party will be in the incinerator room with reduced price Sutter Home.

[/QUOTE]

You may be disappointed when they shut down the incinerator room because its not environmentally friendly!!:D:D:D:D

[quote name='Dave85']Also, let's not forget that celebrity IS a different product than RCI... And that different product isn't what everyone who sails RCI wants. It follows logically that most people who have reached the upper echelons of the C&A program have gotten there because they like the RCI product... Which, again, is different from Celebrity.[/quote]

Putting Celebrity aside, is there any other cruise line that would make you switch then?

If yes, switch.

If not, then Royal got your locked-in! Way to go Royal!

[quote name='lawgirl']And, the way things are going, by the time I get to D+, my nightly party will be in the incinerator room with reduced price Sutter Home.

Thanks for listening and for all your comments. I will send this to Royal.[/quote]

LMAO Lawgirl :p -- and I feel your pain!

In my earlier post, I pointed out that we sailed exclusively on RC for almost 10 years. DH and I had just made our first cruise as Diamonds, when they changed the rules and slammed the Concierge Club door in our faces. :( Now that we're finally D+, we get to look forward to competing with children for the limited seating in the Concierge Club at cocktail hour. :rolleyes:

Please let us know what you hear back from the folks at Corporate. And, we'll be watching for you on Celebrity! ;)

[quote name='SPDBigG']You're recommendation may serve some well but Celebrity doesn't measure up for me and they don't offer a balcony discount for C&A members.[/quote]

Balcony discount aside, why doesn't Celebrity measure up for you? I'm curious to know as I have never sailed on Celebrity before.

[quote name='Dave85']Also, let's not forget that celebrity IS a different product than RCI... And that different product isn't what everyone who sails RCI wants. It follows logically that most people who have reached the upper echelons of the C&A program have gotten there because they like the RCI product... Which, again, is different from Celebrity.[/quote]

I have to admit, my DW loves Celebrity so we may be alternating cruise lines in the future. :rolleyes: Not that I don't enjoy Celebrity just enjoy Royal more.

[quote name='Iluvcruising2']Balcony discount aside, why doesn't Celebrity measure up for you? I'm curious to know as I have never sailed on Celebrity before.[/quote]

I found it very slow on sea days the highlight of one day was water aerobics at the main pool. I'd never seen that on any cruise before. There was just less activity. It was a very nice ship.

[quote name='Debde']phewww! ;)
But-I don't think booking a JS includes CL service. Only GS and up!
also-look at what that person can pay for that one time cruise in a suite. It can be pretty hefty.
That's really why this thread poped up. Changes are probably coming and people are already in panic mode![/quote]

You are right, Debde--I figured it out--after 15 cruises, it's a bit hard to recall all the details--but I realized that I've had CL access twice--once when I booked a Grand Suite with 3 of my girlfriends, and once when my husband and I stayed in Jr. Suite right after hitting Diamond status--before they took away access to the CL for Diamond members--I stand corrected!!!! Geeesh, what a thread this has morphed into!!! It's kindof like a train wreck--as much as you don't want to look, you keep coming back for more

[quote name='BruceMuzz']Lawgirl,

A basic understanding of how cruise lines really operate might be helpful here.

Money is ALWAYS the main theme for us. Everything we do is aimed ONLY at making more of it. Money is the bottom line, the top line, and every line in between. For any large cruise line, making you - as an individual - happy is very low on our priority list. Making large demographic groups happy is another story.

Big Cruise line companies like RCI learned long ago to segment their demographics to their different brands in order to more successfully make more money. By tweaking the product - and the rules - they encourage different segments of society to move or stay on different brands. Currently RCCL is going down-market to capture more Middle American families and first timers. This move puts RCCL head to head with Carnival, by far the most financially successful cruise line in cruise history. Currently Celebrity and Azamara are moving up market to capture the upper tier of Middle America, hoping to compete with HAL and the smaller upscale lines.

Big Cruise line companies like RCI also learned long ago that first time cruisers spend far more money and complain far less on cruises than repeat cruisers do. There is currently a very large back-log of potential first time cruisers. So long as those people exist, your value as a repeat cruiser is very low. The cruise lines will give you plenty of inexpensive lip service about how much we value your loyalty - but we are not about to spend much money nor effort to bring back someone who will most likely not spend much money on our ships. We give priority to first-time families and children. That's where most of our profit is coming from.

You may not like to hear these facts. I certainly am not happy about them. But that is the financial model the major cruise line companies have adopted. I can only suggest that you might use this information to better plan your cruise vacations in order to be a willing participant rather than an unwilling victim.

If you want to be seen, considered, and treated as a valuable individual with specific needs, you really need to buy up and out of the Mass Market. In that case RCCL is not for you.

If you do not mind being treated as one small cow in an extremely large herd of cows, "Royal" as you call it, is for you. Personally I do not see anything Royal about it.[/quote]At least regarding the spending segment of your argument. Spend significantly more on a cruise now than I did when I first sailed. The older and more "repeatable" I become as a valued cruise member has allowed for upgrades to our staterooms at no charge, discounts for each and every cruise, small thoughtful amenities for each cruise, Concierge Lounge access. Free adult beverages, etc....Royal knows what I spend on each and every cruise in each and every venue they have. First time cruisers????....How much do they spend...really a crapshoot, no history equals not sure....Happy cruising...K.O. Near Philly:);)

[quote name='Phillies14']At least regarding the spending segment of your argument. Spend significantly more on a cruise now than I did when I first sailed. The older and more "repeatable" I become as a valued cruise member has allowed for upgrades to our staterooms at no charge, discounts for each and every cruise, small thoughtful amenities for each cruise, Concierge Lounge access. Free adult beverages, etc....Royal knows what I spend on each and every cruise in each and every venue they have. First time cruisers????....How much do they spend...really a crapshoot, no history equals not sure....Happy cruising...K.O. Near Philly:);)[/QUOTE]

We spent around $10K on our first cruise, about $9K on the second, $5K for the 3rd. Just paid off the 4th--$12K (not including shore excursions, etc.) If all goes as planned, 5th will run about $35K. Somehow I think RCCL blew it when they lost me as a customer on the second cruise.

I have 2 small children and even though we are almost diamond. I would NEVER take them to any of the loyalty events. Yes, there need to be enforced adult areas. I back you sending your letter completely. My DW and I will. E diamond after next week and I am sure that will mean nothing in a few years.

Thanks for your letter

[quote name='Puffinater']I agree with you on this. Well put.

After 2 weeks on the Navigator watching and listening to the behavior of adults in the CL (sorry but it was the D+ folks) I will take the kids any day.[/quote]
Just curiois are you D+...:rolleyes:

[quote name='ducklite']We spent around $10K on our first cruise, about $9K on the second, $5K for the 3rd. Just paid off the 4th--$12K (not including shore excursions, etc.) If all goes as planned, 5th will run about $35K. Somehow I think RCCL blew it when they lost me as a customer on the second cruise.[/quote]

By the looks of your up-coming cruise(s) you went from little league to the majors....Have a great cruise (how could you not with that itinery)....By the way did you like the Dream? We were on her last year and she is a classy ship But some of the same entertainment as the Wonder years ago. Any Who calms seas to you and yours.

Archived