Passports--a new, safer way to travel with them

misguidedangel

Well, I read a story online today about a man in Quebec who was going to Vermont to visit friends. He had travelled two hours already and realized he didn't have his passport with him. He needed his passport to cross the border. He remembered he scanned his passport and saved it into his Ipad and thought since he was close to the border he would give it a go and see if the Ipad scanned copy would be accepted.

He got the the border crossing and the agent listened to his story and decided to take a look at the scanned copy on the Ipad and said he'd give it a try. He must have made a call or something as he was checking it and a few minutes later he came back and said all clear and enjoy your visit to Vermont.....

He also did the same thing coming back to Canada, which all he needed to get back in to Canada would be his BC and DL. Well, he showed the customs agent the Ipad scan of the passort and they too accepted it!!!!

I have to wonder if this is going to be the future where one can have their passport on laptop, tablet, or perhaps even a Ebook reader and it would be legal and acceptable.....

I doubt this story was a hoax cuz it was on multiple news sites and our local news...

Ignore the typos, my fingernails are long and I can catch as many of the typos the claws make!!!

I don't think a copy, even an electronic copy is supposed to be acceptable so surprised that it was accepted, especially with all the emphasis on security. But I admit I have copies of our passports on my iPad and the copy is perfectly as clear as the original.

In my experience, land crossings between Canada and the US are a lot more casual than the experience at airports or other countries' crossings. Remember, before 9/11, they just asked where you were born, where you were going, and when you'd be back. They didn't even ask a name. I don't think I'd try it anywhere else.

I just watched this story on the National News.They interviewed him and some officials from both countries.

The person also had his driver's license and birth certificate. There was a US customs official also interviewed and he said this wouldnt be a "normal" thing and that the Border Agent made a judgement call.. having the two other pieces of ID with his scanned passport was what allowed him to cross and it was the Holiday Season..

I figured there was a "Rest of the Story". I doubt this will happen again and that the border guard is in a bit of hot water especially with the publicity generated. The person had the scan, drivers license and birth certificate and the border guard made a judgment call and allowed it.

I wouldn't try it again.

BTW: A passport or passport card is required for travel between the U.S. and Canada. It's been that way for about two to three years.

Take care,

Mike

i thought you could legally cross on land without a passport anyways....only need BC and Id.

Is this no longer the case?

Passports have been required for Canadians at land crossings to the US for a couple of years now.

Well, he did get through, and yes, it is a bit more casual...He pushed the boundaries.....

Perhaps one day we will have electronic passports where all one has to do is say your name and verify certain data, like key in a password and it is a go....

Aaaaah the future, something to look forward too.....

I don't know if I really consider that safer either... I think a thief is a lot more likely to steal a tablet, Ipad, Ipod etc then a paper booklet. All it would take was turning your head while it was sitting on the table in front of you in a port.. and POOF... Gone. Those pieces of equipment get snatched a LOT..

I feel badly for the border agent. Poor guy made a judgement call and was cutting this guy some slack. In return the guy made a big deal about "how it worked" and the threw the customs guy under the bus.....

I don't know if I really consider that safer either... I think a thief is a lot more likely to steal a tablet, Ipad, Ipod etc then a paper booklet. All it would take was turning your head while it was sitting on the table in front of you in a port.. and POOF... Gone. Those pieces of equipment get snatched a LOT..

I feel badly for the border agent. Poor guy made a judgement call and was cutting this guy some slack. In return the guy made a big deal about "how it worked" and the threw the customs guy under the bus.....

Making it much less likely that it will work next time for someone else.

I saw the same story on our local news. BUT they also said, although this guy got through, that an electronic copy was not a legal copy and should not be used at the boarder. So to translate: this guy got lucky but don't think that you will too.

i thought you could legally cross on land without a passport anyways....only need BC and Id.

Is this no longer the case?

You need a passport now, or passport card for canada/mexico land travel. It's a bit of a pain for many who live near the boarder. Most everyone just bit the bullet and got a passport.....

Archived