What just happened!!!! Upgrade Fairy?????

Yo Eleven

Going on the Celebrity Millenium.

Booked a $99 inside guarantee (12) last week.

Tomorrow is the cruise and got this assignment. What just happened?

Did I do good? What kind of cabin is this?

Concierge Class, Vista Deck #7208 :eek:

In my opinion you've scored the best cc cabin on the ship. Here is a link to photos of 7203 on the Constellation from 2007: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/Aft-Cabin-on-Celebrity/2909149_wBsgbQ#156621688_cmks9

Cabin 7208 on the Millenium is the same size and layout as this cabin and has a veranda that's is the same huge size as this cabin. The biggest difference is that the Millennium has updated decor (compared to those in the 2007 photo) with all the soft goods looking more up to date and a flat screen TV.

Here is a view of the aft of the ship with the cabins identified: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/Aft-Cabin-View-Celebrity/2513636_Hh9Hbd#132359580_6DX45

THANK YOU!!!!!! I just called and transferred my status! This is awesome!

Since you registered your X Capt's Club status just the day before your cruise you may have to see the Capt's Club host or hostess to get your correct status onboard card and benefit package if these aren't given to you tomorrow.

Since you registered your X Capt's Club status just the day before your cruise you may have to see the Capt's Club host or hostess to get your correct status onboard card and benefit package if these aren't given to you tomorrow.

Yup that is what they told me last night! Thanks again for your help.

AWESOME. Never had a visit, but that's okay, I book what I want, not what I hope for. My theory is a first time cruiser will be visited more often than us "old cruisers" as they have my loyalty, but they want you to come back. And, once you have a balcony, you might never go back to an inside. And C1 on the back of an M-Class....SCORE. Absolutely ROCK. Enjoy and report back.

What a great time that was!!!!!! The cabin was amazing. The balcony was huge. You could set up ten pins and have a bowling tournament on it! It really is that big!!!!!!

The ship was very nice. The food was great. Not only did I get a major upgrade I did really well at the craps table. Finished WAY up on this one. I got paid to go on this cruise. Whoo hoo!!!!!!

The ship is beautiful. The only thing and I mean the ONLY thing I did not like was that they closed the indoor pool and spa at 9pm!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is up with that??????????

But all in all, you Celebrity people have selected a nice cruise line. I would totally sail them again, even if it is lights out at 9pm. :D

$99 dollars for a cruise? Are you staff? LOL

It was $99.00 per person, plus about $81.00 in port fees and taxes, plus about $24.00 in gratuities, so a little more than $200.00 per person in total.

The cruise was the once a year 2 night cruise. After this is a 7 night charter and Millennium continues on with its 4 & 5 night cruises.

I too was upgraded from inside $99 cabin (I had two cabins) to cabin 7201 Family Veranda. I understand that many of the Bank of Canada people (I believe that is who chartered the boat prior to us for a 4 day cruise) decided to stay on for a back to back and some of us who had booked the $99 insides got a call with an upgrade. I only sailed once before with Celebrity back in 1993 on the Horizon. I have been on 10 NCL cruises, 1 Cunard, 2 Carnival and 2 Princess Cruises. This cruise was my worst ever.

I loved the cabin, it was great. It had a separate sleeping area for my daughter and her friend, one is 12 and the other is 13. The deck was 250 sq. ft. and the cabin was 271 sq. ft. The aft is the best location.

My issues started right before the Muster Drill when we came to find that all four of our keys didn't work and my Muster Station was different than the other 3 of us in the cabin. After the drill we had to wait on a long line and then another 15 mins for Guest Relations to re-do the keys. Upon arrival back to the room, we noticed that I of the children’s keys was not labeled with the Soda Pkg. So I had to get on line again and ask them to make a new key. Again after arriving at the cabin we found that that new child’s key didn't work. Had to go back again, wait in line and get yet another key card, I hate to bore you but this going back and forth happened 6 times and in total I and my family wasted 1 hour and 30 minutes in total at Guest Relations resolving cabin key issues.

Funny thing - if not ridiculous is when I was asked if I was carrying a Magnet in my Purse. I said the Ricardo Madrid at Guest Relations, "Your Kidding right? Is this an episode of Let's Make a Deal?" I didn't have anything in purse that was metal and no cellphone. And I was carrying the cabin keys in my hand all the way back to the cabin.

My neighbors in cabin 7199 (Hey I wonder if they are on this board?) they had a Grand ole time in their end unit FAMILY Veranda. I was told by the guest Relations after I had to call Security on them for starting their loud party at 1:00 AM with blasting music that there were one woman and two men registered in that cabin. After Security couldn't get them to come to the door after ringing the door bell, ringing the phone and pounding at the door - Security just left. Thank god they lowered the music so they made sure we could hear the orgy they were having until 4:00 AM. Multiple Men and at least two left at 4:00 when I guess the party was over. Nothing - I repeat nothing was done. I never let my child make noise in either a hotel room or cabin as to be respectful to others. These people were UNBELIEVABLE. Absolutely didn't give a crap about anyone else. I don't think normal people would feel comfortable having the 12 year old daughter and her 13 yr. old friend in a hotel room or cabin with loud sex going on, at least I hope to God it would make you uncomfortable.

When I got upgrade call I was hesitant to do so because I wanted to make the girls comfortable as we were traveling with my daughter’s 13 yr. old friend. I also wanted everyone to have privacy. When I was offered a FAMILY veranda and the agent explained how it was laid out and that it was intended for families traveling together I made the decision to forgo the two cabins I had already booked. I would have thought Celebrity would have made this upgrade offer to a Family for a Family Veranda room. I guess not.

The end result was I had to speak with Guest relations at length early Morning of our day in Nassau and then we couldn't even get out of our room because our toilet was on a line that needed to be repaired. When we finally got the toilet back in service and all four of us could shower and change it was 12:00 PM.

When I tried to leave the ship with my family I couldn't because my $*%#-ing cabin key was working and I was sent back to guest relations to get a new one. I told my family to go ahead without me and I was furious at this point. 20 minutes later and blood pressure through the roof I finally got off the ship. I got back to the room at 7:26 to hear music once again playing loudly and a voicemail message from Sandra the Guest Relations Manager that they were unable to speak to the guest in 7199 in person but that security would be patrolling our area this evening. I called back and left her a message that the occupants were in their cabin right now and playing there music as if there was no one else on the ship. I left and tried to salvage the evening.

I never heard back from Sandra and Thank god the music was off when we returned. I was finally able to have a decent night’s sleep and had no key issues as we left the ship for home.

On another side note the room service food was horrible, the dining room food was good, not as good as NCL but it was good. The desserts were much better than NCL but the SPA on NCL was much better. I bought a Day Pass for $20 and the only usable rom was the dry sauna - the grotto and the moist sauna. The Turkish baths were set to hot and I thought I was going to be burned by the steam if I had stayed in second more than I did.

I never went to Guest Relations at all on any of my previous cruises 15 cruises. I have never written a bad review and overall I have had wonderful experiences in the past with all my travels. I actually have been booking corporate travel for 20 years and I have only worked as the Assistant to the CEO's of many different companies. And they too have cruised and stayed in many 5 star accommodations, none of them have had the experiences I have had with this particular cruise. I am very disappointed as I fondly remember Celebrity as they were my first cruise experience 18 years ago. I only say that I choose this 2 night cruise over Carnival because I didn't want the party animal atmosphere and the Sex orgy in the cabin next door. When traveling with 12 and 13 year old girls that was totally in appropriate. Even other adults don't want to hear you dong your thing with multiple men all night long. Please have some respect for others..

We didn't read every single word in every single post in this thread, but what we did read leaves us a bit puzzled. Maybe someone can help us to understand something?

Not long ago, we booked back-to-back "X" cruises. (We have been on three "X" cruises before, two of them being back-to-back. We have also been on a RCI cruise. The four past cruises totaled 55 days -- almost an average of 14 days. We were never given, nor offered, an upgrade -- and didn't really expect one. The same is true of six cruises on other lines.)

The day after the recent booking, we phoned Captain's Club, because it suddenly occurred to us to be concerned about the possibility of the imposition of an upgrade without notification. With back-to-back cruises, imagine how an upgrade on just one of the two legs could create havoc, forcing guests to move their belongings on the first Disembarkation Day! It is unlikely that the same (better) stateroom would be empty, and available for upgrades, on both cruises.

So, anyway, in our post-booking conversation, the X agent told us that "We do free upgrades only in the final week before sailing [after waiting to sell as many staterooms as possible], and we [X] are no longer allowed to perform free upgrades without guests' consent."

During this phone chat, we did not get the impression that the agent was referring only to back-to-back situations, but rather to all cruises. And yet, we now have the impression, from reading this thread, that X upgrades (without prior permission) ARE taking place -- and possibly more than a week before sailing. Have we missed (or misread) something factual here?

We have always thought that upgrades without permission should have never been done by cruise lines, because, although the majority of them would be welcomed by the guests, a significant minority would be deplored! Guests could be moved, against their will, from aft to forward (adversely affecting walking time), or from starboard to port (affecting views), or deck to deck (affecting various things), thus potentially throwing a big "monkey wrench" into plans that they had made. We know that it is possible for guests to state, at booking time, that they refuse potential upgrades ... but the problem is that they have to know and remember that they can refuse. We knew it, but did not remember it, on the day we booked ... and the agent did not mention the subject of upgrades (with/without permission) during the booking process.

Besides the question regarding facts (two paragraphs back), we are also curious to read others' opinions on this last point.

Many thanks, in advance.

I can only speak to my experience but we were called and asked if we would like the upgrade and we were also told the cabin number we were being offered. The agent also told me that she had called three other passengers prior to me to make them similar offers and that one person said they would call her back. She seem relived that I had taken her up on the upgrade. I kept her on the phone for about 30 minutes as we looked at the deck plans together and then We got my husband on the phone and we also asked our daughter if she liked the cabin. So they were very through and did not make the upgrade without or permission. This phone call came two days before sailing.

I can only speak to my experience but we were called and asked if we would like the upgrade and we were also told the cabin number we were being offered. ... This phone call came two days before sailing.

Sounds great, "kaitlynangel!" Congrats on your good fortune.

We didn't read every single word in every single post in this thread, but what we did read leaves us a bit puzzled. Maybe someone can help us to understand something?

Not long ago, we booked back-to-back "X" cruises. (We have been on three "X" cruises before, two of them being back-to-back. We have also been on a RCI cruise. The four past cruises totaled 55 days -- almost an average of 14 days. We were never given, nor offered, an upgrade -- and didn't really expect one. The same is true of six cruises on other lines.)

The day after the recent booking, we phoned Captain's Club, because it suddenly occurred to us to be concerned about the possibility of the imposition of an upgrade without notification. With back-to-back cruises, imagine how an upgrade on just one of the two legs could create havoc, forcing guests to move their belongings on the first Disembarkation Day! It is unlikely that the same (better) stateroom would be empty, and available for upgrades, on both cruises.

So, anyway, in our post-booking conversation, the X agent told us that "We do free upgrades only in the final week before sailing [after waiting to sell as many staterooms as possible], and we [X] are no longer allowed to perform free upgrades without guests' consent."

During this phone chat, we did not get the impression that the agent was referring only to back-to-back situations, but rather to all cruises. And yet, we now have the impression, from reading this thread, that X upgrades (without prior permission) ARE taking place -- and possibly more than a week before sailing. Have we missed (or misread) something factual here?

We have always thought that upgrades without permission should have never been done by cruise lines, because, although the majority of them would be welcomed by the guests, a significant minority would be deplored! Guests could be moved, against their will, from aft to forward (adversely affecting walking time), or from starboard to port (affecting views), or deck to deck (affecting various things), thus potentially throwing a big "monkey wrench" into plans that they had made. We know that it is possible for guests to state, at booking time, that they refuse potential upgrades ... but the problem is that they have to know and remember that they can refuse. We knew it, but did not remember it, on the day we booked ... and the agent did not mention the subject of upgrades (with/without permission) during the booking process.

Besides the question regarding facts (two paragraphs back), we are also curious to read others' opinions on this last point.

Many thanks, in advance.

I think the OP was originally on an inside GTY.... so the upgrade wasn't really interfering with any arrangements.

DH and I were on an MSC B2B last year... we'd also booked an inside GTY, and were visited by the upgrade fairy, who gave us a wondeful balcony for BOTH legs of the cruise.

I really don't think any cruise line would upgrade you for just one leg!

My neighbors in cabin 7199 (Hey I wonder if they are on this board?) they had a Grand ole time in their end unit FAMILY Veranda. I was told by the guest Relations after I had to call Security on them for starting their loud party at 1:00 AM with blasting music that there were one woman and two men registered in that cabin. After Security couldn't get them to come to the door after ringing the door bell, ringing the phone and pounding at the door - Security just left. Thank god they lowered the music so they made sure we could hear the orgy they were having until 4:00 AM. Multiple Men and at least two left at 4:00 when I guess the party was over. Nothing - I repeat nothing was done. I never let my child make noise in either a hotel room or cabin as to be respectful to others. These people were UNBELIEVABLE. Absolutely didn't give a crap about anyone else. I don't think normal people would feel comfortable having the 12 year old daughter and her 13 yr. old friend in a hotel room or cabin with loud sex going on, at least I hope to God it would make you uncomfortable.

Why didn't you try to contact them yourself? Sometimes just a nice, "Hello, we're trying to sleep next door" does wonders. Relying on guest relations to do it yourself is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would have banged on the wall, the door, the joining veranda, etc. until they stopped if they didn't answer the door.

I too was upgraded from inside $99 cabin (I had two cabins) to cabin 7201 Family Veranda. I understand that many of the Bank of Canada people (I believe that is who chartered the boat prior to us for a 4 day cruise) decided to stay on for a back to back and some of us who had booked the $99 insides got a call with an upgrade. I only sailed once before with Celebrity back in 1993 on the Horizon. I have been on 10 NCL cruises, 1 Cunard, 2 Carnival and 2 Princess Cruises. This cruise was my worst ever.

I loved the cabin, it was great. It had a separate sleeping area for my daughter and her friend, one is 12 and the other is 13. The deck was 250 sq. ft. and the cabin was 271 sq. ft. The aft is the best location.

My issues started right before the Muster Drill when we came to find that all four of our keys didn't work and my Muster Station was different than the other 3 of us in the cabin. After the drill we had to wait on a long line and then another 15 mins for Guest Relations to re-do the keys. Upon arrival back to the room, we noticed that I of the children’s keys was not labeled with the Soda Pkg. So I had to get on line again and ask them to make a new key. Again after arriving at the cabin we found that that new child’s key didn't work. Had to go back again, wait in line and get yet another key card, I hate to bore you but this going back and forth happened 6 times and in total I and my family wasted 1 hour and 30 minutes in total at Guest Relations resolving cabin key issues.

Funny thing - if not ridiculous is when I was asked if I was carrying a Magnet in my Purse. I said the Ricardo Madrid at Guest Relations, "Your Kidding right? Is this an episode of Let's Make a Deal?" I didn't have anything in purse that was metal and no cellphone. And I was carrying the cabin keys in my hand all the way back to the cabin.

When I got upgrade call I was hesitant to do so because I wanted to make the girls comfortable as we were traveling with my daughter’s 13 yr. old friend. I also wanted everyone to have privacy. When I was offered a FAMILY veranda and the agent explained how it was laid out and that it was intended for families traveling together I made the decision to forgo the two cabins I had already booked. I would have thought Celebrity would have made this upgrade offer to a Family for a Family Veranda room. I guess not.

The end result was I had to speak with Guest relations at length early Morning of our day in Nassau and then we couldn't even get out of our room because our toilet was on a line that needed to be repaired. When we finally got the toilet back in service and all four of us could shower and change it was 12:00 PM.

When I tried to leave the ship with my family I couldn't because my $*%#-ing cabin key was working and I was sent back to guest relations to get a new one. I told my family to go ahead without me and I was furious at this point. 20 minutes later and blood pressure through the roof I finally got off the ship. I got back to the room at 7:26 to hear music once again playing loudly and a voicemail message from Sandra the Guest Relations Manager that they were unable to speak to the guest in 7199 in person but that security would be patrolling our area this evening. I called back and left her a message that the occupants were in their cabin right now and playing there music as if there was no one else on the ship. I left and tried to salvage the evening.

I never heard back from Sandra and Thank god the music was off when we returned. I was finally able to have a decent night’s sleep and had no key issues as we left the ship for home.

On another side note the room service food was horrible, the dining room food was good, not as good as NCL but it was good. The desserts were much better than NCL but the SPA on NCL was much better. I bought a Day Pass for $20 and the only usable rom was the dry sauna - the grotto and the moist sauna. The Turkish baths were set to hot and I thought I was going to be burned by the steam if I had stayed in second more than I did.

I never went to Guest Relations at all on any of my previous cruises 15 cruises. I have never written a bad review and overall I have had wonderful experiences in the past with all my travels. I actually have been booking corporate travel for 20 years and I have only worked as the Assistant to the CEO's of many different companies. And they too have cruised and stayed in many 5 star accommodations, none of them have had the experiences I have had with this particular cruise. I am very disappointed as I fondly remember Celebrity as they were my first cruise experience 18 years ago. I only say that I choose this 2 night cruise over Carnival because I didn't want the party animal atmosphere and the Sex orgy in the cabin next door. When traveling with 12 and 13 year old girls that was totally in appropriate. Even other adults don't want to hear you dong your thing with multiple men all night long. Please have some respect for others..

oh boy!!!!! I am on my cell phone. I have lots to respond to here. Sorry this was your worst cruise. Were you also having priblems with your air conditionet by any chance? Reason I ask is I saw someone who did who is a travel agent or something. Thought u might be the same person. Will get back to this later.

Honestly, I didn't want to "Bang on the wall", that would not be civilized. I also didn't want to draw more attention to the "sounds" to the two children who I believe were asleep (god I hope) by banging on the wall and yelling. Really that was not going to be the right thing to do and two wrongs don't make a right. Calling Celebrity Guest Relations was the appropriate thing to do and is what we all pay for when we board a ship. They are to police there ship and provide for our safety and comfort, it's all part of hospitality. Taking the issue into my own hands would be wrong and could have started an incident between me and the in appropriate neighbors. My husband is a retired NYPD Police officer so we knew not a good idea to escalate the issue by yelling and banging on the wall for them to stop. The ship has a security team and they are supposed to be trained to handle these kinds of complaints. It is not wrong on my part to expect them to do their job. They failed and that is the issue, you can't blame the victim for not "fighting" with the perpetrator that is not logical.

Honestly, I didn't want to "Bang on the wall", that would not be civilized. I also didn't want to draw more attention to the "sounds" to the two children who I believe were asleep (god I hope) by banging on the wall and yelling. Really that was not going to be the right thing to do and two wrongs don't make a right. Calling Celebrity Guest Relations was the appropriate thing to do and is what we all pay for when we board a ship. They are to police there ship and provide for our safety and comfort, it's all part of hospitality. Taking the issue into my own hands would be wrong and could have started an incident between me and the in appropriate neighbors. My husband is a retired NYPD Police officer so we knew not a good idea to escalate the issue by yelling and banging on the wall for them to stop. The ship has a security team and they are supposed to be trained to handle these kinds of complaints. It is not wrong on my part to expect them to do their job. They failed and that is the issue, you can't blame the victim for not "fighting" with the perpetrator that is not logical.

Sorry to learn of your experience. The general rule of thumb is that the shorter the cruise,the younger the crowd. Much more partying on these short, often called "party cruises". In reality there's not much security can do other than trying to get them to tone it down. The key problem might be a different story. The question about a magnet was proper, the time to resolve the problem wasn't. I'd contact Guest Relations at Celebrity and report

the issue. If one doesn't want an upgrade just have it noted on your reservation.

You have a killer room-

this is copied from X's site for your room number. Its a sunset verandah room (!)

• Early embarkation & debarkation
  • Priority check-in
  • Welcome sparkling wine, fresh fruit & flowers
  • Main & specialty restaurant seating preferences
  • Expanded room service breakfast menu
  • Evening hors d'ouvres, daily
  • Pillow menu, Plush Frette® bathrobes
  • Hansgrohe® massaging showerhead
  • Extra handheld hair dryer, Celebrity tote bag
  • 100% Egyptian cotton oversized bath towels
  • Complimentary shoeshine service, use of golf umbrella, & high-quality binoculars
  • Floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors
  • Sitting area with sofa
  • 32" LCD television
  • Vanity
  • Veranda with lounge seating

How does someone get an upgrade? What is an "upgrade fairy ?" I've only been on one cruise and that was in 2007 so I have no idea how a person goes about etting an upgrade. Do you have to call? Can someone explain??

How does someone get an upgrade? What is an "upgrade fairy ?" I've only been on one cruise and that was in 2007 so I have no idea how a person goes about etting an upgrade. Do you have to call? Can someone explain??

A free upgrade is a random thing that just happens.....it's just something the cruise line decides.

If you call about an upgrade, you can usually get one.....for the going rate!!

A free upgrade is a random thing that just happens.....it's just something the cruise line decides.

If you call about an upgrade, you can usually get one.....for the going rate!!

TO SCRAPBAGS,

Good info here from MAMASUE...

As the date of a sailing nears, the cruise line tries to find ways to fill ALL the cabins on the ship (they want to sail as near as capacity as possible to make the most profit)

They usually begin by lowering the prices slightly on the mid to high level cabins (Verandas - Concierge - Aqua Class - Suites)... in hopes that it will attract NEW BOOKINGS or that someone already booked on board, might decide that the "sale" price is reasonable enough to pay a bit extra and upgrade themselves to a higher level (so pay the difference and move say from an Inside Cabin to a Veranda Cabin)

After that they may begin a sale on the lower end cabins (typically the Insides & Ocean Views)... in hopes of filling all the empties. If the sale is going well and attracting a lot of attention / sales volume, then they'll look at who had bought earlier BEFORE the sale (some say they key in on the early bookings) ... and offer some of them a FREE UPGRADE to a level or two (or more) above what they have already bought & paid for... to any of the remaining cabins in the higher levels.

Such is the case of what happened here to YO ELEVEN he purchased an Inside Cabin, and was Upgraded for FREE to a Concierge Class Cabin. (BIG Jump !!)

There is no rhyme or reason as to who a Cruise Ship chooses to give these FREE UPGRADES to... sometimes it is a loyal longtime cruiser, sometimes a brand new cruiser, othertimes perhaps someone celebrating a special occasion.

What everyone agrees on is they are a special gift, so hence the concept that one is visited by the "Upgrade Fairy"... think about it on a typical 7 Day cruise one could go from say a $ 799 pp Inside Cabin up to perhaps a $ 1000 pp Veranda or $ 1300 pp (or more) Concierge or Aqua Class Cabin (and every once in awhile you hear of someone getting a FREE Upgrade to a Suite) ... these are BIG Deals, and it certainly tends to feel like "Christmas" when they happen

Hope this is helpful, and may the "Upgrade Fairy" find you sometime in your future !!

:)

Cheers!

Why didn't you try to contact them yourself? Sometimes just a nice, "Hello, we're trying to sleep next door" does wonders. Relying on guest relations to do it yourself is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would have banged on the wall, the door, the joining veranda, etc. until they stopped if they didn't answer the door.

Absolutely not! You call ships security. You don't confront these people yourself.

They have a bad attitude (do not care about others next door), and may be drunk or even high on drugs.

My DH is a master martial artist and teaches both Self Defense & Self Awareness classes and has even taught seminars on a cruise ship. He teaches the teachers including police officers. You don't go and confront these type of people. You need to contact Guest Relations and leave this to the ships security department.

Archived