40 pounds in 4 months

So I am happy to report that I lost the weight I gained last weekend. However, that means I only lost .6 this week. Total weight loss in two weeks is 4.6. Technically, it's 6.6 BUT I am not counting 2 pounds because I gained those pounds after I decided my goals, and didn't realize I had already gained 2. So for the purposes of my 40 in 4, I am down 4.6.

YES!!! That is so awesome. Right on target!

Remember what I said about the weighing every day vs. week thing? Perfect example this week for me - 202.0 one day, 202.6 the next - and I had only 1360 calories (vs. 1500-1800 usually), all my water, worked out, etc. There just is no rhyme or reason to it so the weighing (or at least counting the weighing) once a week is the way to go.

Glad you kept us up to speed, keep at it!

I think most of us weigh every day, just try to not take it to heart until the day it is supposed to count (1/week). And even then, the body does what it wants sometimes.

I'm exactly the same today as I was 5 days ago. My avg. calories per day has been 1500; I've had days where I hiked some pretty challenging trails for three hours, the treadmill for 90 minutes, murdered an elliptical for an hour; I drank all my water - but I'm still the same weight (after bouncing up 2 lbs from recovering from the hiking).

There just isn't any logic to it sometimes - but long term we will ALWAYS WIN, so hang tough and use the mirror as much as the scale.

I think most of us weigh every day, just try to not take it to heart until the day it is supposed to count (1/week). And even then, the body does what it wants sometimes.

I'm exactly the same today as I was 5 days ago. My avg. calories per day has been 1500; I've had days where I hiked some pretty challenging trails for three hours, the treadmill for 90 minutes, murdered an elliptical for an hour; I drank all my water - but I'm still the same weight (after bouncing up 2 lbs from recovering from the hiking).

There just isn't any logic to it sometimes - but long term we will ALWAYS WIN, so hang tough and use the mirror as much as the scale.

Wow...you are really doing some exercise and that is GREAT!! I am sure the scale will work in your favor!! Sometimes I have to switch up what I am eating...some foods/meals make me retain water and such. I like the convenience of those Lean Cuisine or Smart One meals at my office but they are really not the best choice. However, they have to be better than running out for fast food!!

I made an excellent grocery list this week...really planned out meals...protein and tons of veggies and fruit.

I cruise in 23 days I believe...

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/?action=view&current=hike01-18-12aaa.mp4

This was today's hike, a 3 mile out and back in 1:15. Used a 25lb weight vest for a little extra work. Went heavy on the calories, though - that is what can screw up a daily weigh in also - takes the body a day or two to assimilate the fuel.

I have been eating super healthy...and I gained 4/10th of a pound from Monday to today...:mad:

Gee wiz...I just can't live on apples, broth and water!! I am gonna keep up my healthy eating and perhaps FORCE (AND I DO MEAN FORCE) myself to walk stairs of the hill down from my house and see if I can get over this hump!!! :(

I have been eating super healthy...and I gained 4/10th of a pound from Monday to today...:mad:

Gee wiz...I just can't live on apples, broth and water!! I am gonna keep up my healthy eating and perhaps FORCE (AND I DO MEAN FORCE) myself to walk stairs of the hill down from my house and see if I can get over this hump!!! :(

I'm up 1lb today from last Thursday - I'll say it again, there just isn't any rhyme or reason to this deal.

SG - make sure you aren't going too low on your calories, keep your body out of starvation mode or it won't come off. Gotta have the fat/carbs/protein mix to make it work. And watch the broth - depending on what it is they can be all salt - and that retains water - and that swells your cells - and that leads to the scale going up.

Personally I think it's a lunar thing or something - just waiting for the chi to change...:D Hang tough, we're all in it together and we'll be better off for sticking with it.

well my actual weigh in day is tomorrow, and today of course I am up 1.2. I have been working out at least an hour every day. I have been eating good and haven't cheated this week. I am retaining water, so really trying to watch my sodium but not really sure I have had that much. I just wanted to check in!

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, you may need to eat more to lose weight. Very low calorie counts, like yours, can actually slow weight loss. Our bodies don't always work the way we think they should; it seems like less calories and more exercise should mean bigger weight loss, but it's not necessarily true.

I use a site called SparkPeople which is great for tracking food and exercise and has all kinds of advice on diet, health and fitness. It's free.

They are very dedicated to losing weight healthfully and recomend no less than 1200 calories per day for anyone, except for some extreme circumstances.

I have to say that trying to lose 10 pounds a month is very ambitious and not what most experts recommend. It will take lots of will power. Good luck, and give yourself some hugs.

Broth has like 2 days worth of sodium in it for a couple of servings..the average body needs only 2000mg per day for physiological purposes..and be sure that any broth you use is "msg" free..which is also like sodium..most broths (swanson in partucular) has MSG in it..many will say MSG free and that's what you want..

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, you may need to eat more to lose weight. Very low calorie counts, like yours, can actually slow weight loss. Our bodies don't always work the way we think they should; it seems like less calories and more exercise should mean bigger weight loss, but it's not necessarily true.

This is absolutely true! As someone who has lost 93 pounds (and maintained for 1 year now) I can say that when I started adding in workouts I stopped losing if i only ate 1200 calories a day. I added in another 200 calories in protein/fruit (ie protein shake) after my workout and the weight started falling back off.

2+ pounds a week is a good rate for an obese person. It is not normal for someone closer to goal if you are eating a healthy diet and weight loss will be more around 1 pound a week. You cannot get all of the nutrition your body needs/requires on just 800/900 calories per day and while it may seem effective for a few weeks in the long term is actually harmful.

18 weeks until my cruise and I want to lose 36 pounds. I joined WW again in Nov. but I hadn't been faithfully tracking until the last 10 days. I have been writing down everything these past 10 days so I'm hoping for a 2 pound loss. tomorrow.

Thank you for info about Swanson broth. I have been having a lot of it this week. Maybe my weight loss won't be as good as I hope.

Since many of us have a similar weight loss we are trying to acheive before our next cruise, this a helpful thread for me.

You aren't eating enough. Your body is hanging on to what little food you do give it and storing it. Once you start eating more, your body will trust you more and shed the excess. I need 1600 calories a day to lose because I work out a lot. Nobody should ever go below 1200 calories. Additionally, Smart Ones and broth are ok once in a while, but they are loaded with sodium and will cause you to retain water. Honestly, I think you want to love too much too fast. Just don't want you disappointed. Good luck.

Also, try to get more of your protein from other sources besides meat..I learned this from my new husbands brother,a doctor of naturopathy..hormones in meat can cause inflammation..try to use proper serving sizes of beans and legumes (they are cheap esp. if you cook them yourself..canned ones can have a lot of sodium so rinse them)..lentils are fabulous for protein, even if the serving size is 1/2 cup you can feel more than satisifed with them due to the fiber and protein content of them.

You want to eat calorie dense foods that are filling..beans are good for that..natural peanut butter on celery is good..and of course fruits and vegtables.

Here is a good research study on why diet soda isn't good for a diet, per se..http://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/is-diet-soda-bad-for-weight-loss-10000001964938/. This is from my favorite web site that features all the recipes from the Cooking Light magazine.

Gathina and Chigirlcruizin, (hope I have your user names spelled correctly), thank you for your good tips.

I weighed in today at Weightwatchers and lost 4.4 pounds. Before this week, I hadn't been tracking for several weeks, so I think of this as a week 2 loss. Anyway, I'm on my way to 36 pound weight loss by the cruise.

Awesome results people, love coming here and getting re-motivated! I'm finally headed in the right direction again, down 1 more. How's our OP doing, we want to hear how your doing.

Well, not to bore again, but today's activity:

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/?action=view&current=climbing.mp4

(Click to go full screen, it doesn't seem to be as jumpy that way)

I'm in the brown shirt - compared to when I got married 3 years ago...

me.jpg

Stick with it folks - IT'S WORTH IT!!!

You'd be surprised how many other sources you can get your protein from..plant proteins are always better. There is no law that says people "have" to have meat every day. I was surprised how much nutrition..protein and fiber..one serving size (half cup) of beans has and how much it can fill you up.

Other things I learned about weight loss from my brother in law:

Salsa (fresh made...without sugar) has a lot of good vitamins in it and can also be used with beans..put on a small baked potato..good, easy, quick meal.

Brown rice and beans: perfect combo of carbs/proteins.

Vegetables such as celery and asparagus...excellent for anti inflammatory..and also have a diuretic effect due to high water content.

Always, always, eat fresh food.

Gathina and Chigirlcruizin, (hope I have your user names spelled correctly), thank you for your good tips.

I weighed in today at Weightwatchers and lost 4.4 pounds. Before this week, I hadn't been tracking for several weeks, so I think of this as a week 2 loss. Anyway, I'm on my way to 36 pound weight loss by the cruise.

I'm going to guess auto-correct!?! Gotta keep these threads light, it's still supposed to be fun!!!

Lol...yup, autocorrect. I'm not going to tell you what my phone wanted to say when I was texting a friend during the Patriots-Ravens game today...it didn't recognize Flacco, and the correction was hilarious.

You're welcome! Great job this week! Another thing, I eat all of my 49 points each week. It makes maintenance easier. I'm struggling right now because in the last 5 months, I spent less than 25% of my time at home. 2 cruises, 60 days in Hong Kong, holidays, other travel...so hard to stay healthy all the time traveling, especially in Hong Kong. We are soooo busy that we rarely take time for a decent lunch, so we order pizza or run up the hill to McDonald's. So not what I want, but I don't have much choice. And then we work through dinner, where we order in again. And McD's there doesn't have the salads and such that we have here, or even Happy Meals for smaller portions. I'm up ten pounds and I want it gone! I may have to go to England next week. I'm hoping so; I don't like the food there so I won't eat much lol.

Well I gained last week, .8. I am going to lose it this week though, I have been working out and not cheating on my diet. I have modified to include more protein this week and more foods containing fiber. I am still up today, but I think it will work. However, I have to skip 1 work out today and only work out once because my baby is sick and I need to take him to the doctor. Thank you for everyone posting helpful information!

Archived