"All-inclusive Drink Package"

pingpong1

Folks - I note in the Avalon's 2012 cruise brochure and on their web page that they mention the availability of an "All-inclusive Drink Package" and the option to "pre-purchase a drink package" on their cruises in 2012. This raises some questions which hopefully, some of you "vets" might be able to answer - Is this something "new" for Avalon in 2012? Was it not offered in previous years on Avalon or with any other river cruise companies? I have only seen mention of "Complimentary sparkling wine and juices with breakfast" and "Complimentary regional wines, beer, or soft drinks WITH (my caps) dinner". So - does this mean that if I happen to want a "soft drink" (i.e., "Coke") at lunch, then I would be "charged extra" for that coke if I hadn't paid for a "pre-purchase package"? Can I also assume that if I were to want a cocktail before or after dinner in the lounge/bar, that I would be charged extra for it, as well? Am I correct in assuming that the statement "Social hour and drink specials in the Main Lounge" does NOT in any way mean the drinks are "free"? :) Do the charges for all "non-complimentary drinks" cost about the same as they do on an ocean cruise (i.e., upwards of $5 for a simple rum 'n coke, $7 if I want it with the "little umbrella" in it, and $3 for a ginger ale)? When I lived in Europe in the 70's, ice had not yet been "invented" over there...can I assume that this "miracle product" is now more commonplace and not limited to just one tiny dice-sized cube in each drink? (Sorry - a little sarcasm there) I understand that purchased drinks will be priced in Euros. Has anyone yet seen a "price" listed for these "all-inclusive drink packages"? The literature says it will be available for advance purchase for 2012 cruises but I haven't seen a price posted yet. Avalon says the available packages will be both "alcohol or non-alcohol". Do you think that means (I assume nothing) that if you purchased the "alcohol package", which presumably would be the more expensive of the two, that this would ALSO include all the soft-drinks you wished to order (with no alcohol in them), as well? Any thoughts from anyone? Including from those of you who may have pre-purchased such packages on ocean cruises in the past. It would seem that it wouldn't take too many "Bloody Mary's" with breakfast or too many Vodka Tonics up on the "Sky Deck" in the afternoon before one would be better off pre-purchasing a "drink package" - assuming it didn't cost a small fortune. As an aside, I see they describe their bars as "upscale". Usually, that just means, "same booze - but we just charge more for it". :p Regards, Pingpong.

From my research most of the river cruise lines do charge extra for soft drinks, wine & beer when not advertised "included with dinner"

They are not all inclusive

Maybe some lines like Tauck they are included

P.S.

Might be easier to read your post if you hit the enter key once or twice ;)

You may want to think over carefully purchasing a drink package unless your are a 'heavy' drinker. I have been on 2 weeks cruises where my bar bill has only been 90Euros. Granted, I drink mostly wine. The happy hour usually have drink specials plus 1/2 price wine.

My husband drinks soft drinks and water and doesn't mind paying for it but often just purchases soft drinks in town and then consuming it in our stateroom.

From my research most of the river cruise lines do charge extra for soft drinks, wine & beer when not advertised "included with dinner"

They are not all inclusive

Maybe some lines like Tauck they are included

P.S.

Might be easier to read your post if you hit the enter key once or twice ;)

All non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary when you sail with Tauck and they even give you a fridge which is re-filled with the drinks of your preference on a daily basis. They too have a "Happy Hour" with half price alcohol but their day to day prices at the bar I thought were very reasonable. I have their price list if anyone is interested. As I said in my review if you didn't have time for a pre-dinner drink you could certainly get your fill with all the wine, beer and soft drinks that flowed during meals.

On Avalon we found that the included beer/wine with dinner was more than enough for us. If you want something extra you can carry it on, or order it in the bar. If I recall correctly, we had a glass of wine and a beer in the lounge one afternoon before dinner and it was not overly expensive.

Why don't you go to Avalon's facebook page and ask your question or call them directly? I'm sure they would be glad to answer, they are very customer service oriented.

As I understand it (on Viking anyway), the drink package for a seven day cruise is $210, per person. These prices vary dependent on the length of the cruise. The bar price for a draft beer is about $5.00 at current exchange rates, and wine about $6.00. I rarely drink liquor so don't recall those prices. As they allow you to bring beer, wine, and liquor on board from the local towns, we found it much cheaper to purchase ourselves. Our total alcohol bill last cruise (seven days) was under $100 for the two of us.

I would assume that other lines pricing would be comparable.

Cheers,

As I understand it (on Viking anyway), the drink package for a seven day cruise is $210, per person. These prices vary dependent on the length of the cruise. The bar price for a draft beer is about $5.00 at current exchange rates, and wine about $6.00. I rarely drink liquor so don't recall those prices. As they allow you to bring beer, wine, and liquor on board from the local towns, we found it much cheaper to purchase ourselves. Our total alcohol bill last cruise (seven days) was under $100 for the two of us.

I would assume that other lines pricing would be comparable.

Cheers,

Bill, we cruised just after you and Viking had a package for 150 Euros and reduced the price the first night to 100 Euros (or near that price). I saw several people drinking all day, so I think that there were some people who bought it and used the value of the price. I saw several people with Cokes at lunch time as all soft drinks were an extra cost.

Our bar bill was also very low. We had a few after-dinner drinks in the lounge and the special-of-the-day a couple times. Most mixed drinks were around $7 or $8.

On our last cruise with Viking the beer prices ranged from 2.75 to 3.75 euros depending on the size. The package price was discounted if you signed up on boarding day so if you're interested you may want to wait until you board.

There have been numerous posts concerning this issue and it seems the average package price is around 22 -24 per day per person so it all depends on drinking preferences. Many cruises include free drinks at lunch and dinner so you need to do the math for yourself. In the past you had to buy 2 packages unless you were traveling alone.

Archived