London for a first Timer.

I don't know if it will help anyone else but I found https://www.city-walks.info/London-en/Map.html to be helpful. I have so many things I want to see/do while we are in London 7 days pre-cruise and was having a hard time figuring out where everything was in relation to everything else.

There is a search box that you can fill in what you want to see. It marks it on the map for you and the map is interactive so you can move it around. I think I end up with 20+ locations. You can print the map but you may have to move it around and print more than once to get everything. It includes underground stops but not buses as far as I can tell.

It is really helping in planning how to see what I want (and need) to do.

Of course YMMV

Sandi

Great advice thanks for sharing

We will be in london this september

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship has rather sailed on that one. For example, I don't think it likely that Canary Wharf will rename its new shopping and eating building: http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/canary-wharf/.

Will any sections of Crossrail be operating in May this year? I was hoping to give it a try! Saw a great documentary on it, quite ambitious project.

ML

Will any sections of Crossrail be operating in May this year?
Sort of - it's quite complicated. The best description is probably the one on Wikipedia. In a sense, some of Crossrail is already operating, but branded as "TfL Rail". In December 2018, which is the publicity-attracting "start" of Crossrail, much of the change will be a re-branding exercise to change existing "TfL Rail" services to "Crossrail" (or, more properly, "Elizabeth Line"), although it will coincide with the start of services through the city centre section. That, I suspect, will be the big draw, but sadly it won't be early enough for your next visit.

Sort of - it's quite complicated. The best description is probably the one on Wikipedia. In a sense, some of Crossrail is already operating, but branded as "TfL Rail". In December 2018, which is the publicity-attracting "start" of Crossrail, much of the change will be a re-branding exercise to change existing "TfL Rail" services to "Crossrail" (or, more properly, "Elizabeth Line"), although it will coincide with the start of services through the city centre section. That, I suspect, will be the big draw, but sadly it won't be early enough for your next visit.

Thanks for the link, very helpful, although your summary was close enough. Yes, it looks like we will miss the Grand Opening. Disappointed but Big Ben not operating is a much bigger disappointment :)

It looks like Elizabeth Line will take over the Heathrow Express service from Paddington--do I have that right? We were planning on using it but they are doing rail service the day we need it, so it is a private car for us (and thanks for your recommendation on a car service. They look very good). I am wondering if, in the future, this will make HEX even better to and from LHR?

ML

It looks like Elizabeth Line will take over the Heathrow Express service from Paddington--do I have that right?
No, it's Heathrow Connect which is being replaced.

Heathrow Connect is the current stopping service between Paddington and Heathrow. It's much cheaper than Heathrow Express, and that is one of the things that sometimes attracts visitors who are put off by the apparent high cost of HEX.

However, I've always taken the view that unless you're actually going to Paddington or somewhere very close by, Heathrow Connect is very poor value for money. It runs only once every 30 minutes, and it takes over 30 minutes between Heathrow T123 and Paddington (compared to 15 minutes / 15 minutes for HEX). Once you factor in the average wait for the next Heathrow Connect train, you can get to many central London places faster by Tube yet often at a fraction of the cost, bearing in mind that you'd still have to get from Paddington to wherever you're going.

When Heathrow Connect becomes part of Crossrail and starts offering direct trains through real central London (which Paddington is not), the balance is likely to change. HEX's long-term future after that will be less assured. But these services are not scheduled to start until December 2019. Moreover, some recent unexpected setbacks have now put the Crossrail timetable close to the edge, when previously the project had been progressing very well - see this blog post for more details.

The ship has rather sailed on that one. For example, I don't think it likely that Canary Wharf will rename its new shopping and eating building: http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/canary-wharf/.

They are grudgingly dealing with the issue! (I happened to be in Crossrail Place today)

af0ed4a9d1e7f6a389708711089be410.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So much here that causes me to ask more questions--sorry :)

No, it's Heathrow Connect which is being replaced.

Heathrow Connect is the current stopping service between Paddington and Heathrow. It's much cheaper than Heathrow Express, and that is one of the things that sometimes attracts visitors who are put off by the apparent high cost of HEX.

Connect much cheaper than HEX? Is that for same day purchase tickets? When we were planning on using HEX, we could have booked one-way tickets for 5 or 6 (maybe 7) pounds each when purchased well in advance. I thought that was good, considering the speed of the service. And certainly compared to a non-discounted ticket. How much is Connect?

However, I've always taken the view that unless you're actually going to Paddington or somewhere very close by, Heathrow Connect is very poor value for money.

So how is Connect different that just taking Piccadilly Line? I know Piccadilly doesn't stop at Paddington but if you're taking a line that makes stops anyway, and you still have to transfer, what is the attraction of Connect? Unless, as you point out, you actually want to go to Paddington?

When Heathrow Connect becomes part of Crossrail and starts offering direct trains through real central London (which Paddington is not), the balance is likely to change. HEX's long-term future after that will be less assured.

But won't HEX still be faster? Or will it stop operating? And reasonably priced if you know what you need and buy 60 days out? Or is it just the access to central London that makes it attractive? I'll go read the link you provided but just curious.

I think it is likely we will get back to London sometime and I feel much better equipped now to travel to and from LHR. There are some good options available at reasonable prices using tube/trains. And I was leaning HEX due to the quick trip, availability of cheap fares if booked early, and it's easy to transfer at Paddington (well, easy in that it can be done, maybe not the most convenient transfer). So, I would be sad to see that option disappear or be available at a much higher cost.

I guess I will have to stay tuned to see how things evolve! I feel as if I am missing some simple point here but not sure what it is :D

ML

So, which station is this? Canary Wharf?

Yes. The sign is in one of the shopping malls at Canary Wharf. It’s a bit odd they have already put up signs for a line that isn’t running yet!

One of the confusing issues is that there will be three separate stations called Canary Wharf - the DLR, Jubilee Line and the Elizabeth Line stations - which are not particularly close to each other. And connecting from the DLR to either other line you would not use the Canary Wharf DLR station... We do this just to confuse visitors [emoji3]

Currently, Heathrow Connect fare from Heathrow to Paddington is £10-30, by the way. I believe the TfL Rail fares from next month will be the same or cheaper and will allow use of Oyster/contactless. Full Elizabeth Line pricing will become clearer in due course!

HEX will still be about 8 minutes quicker into Paddington.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Yes. The sign is in one of the shopping malls at Canary Wharf. It’s a bit odd they have already put up signs for a line that isn’t running yet!

British efficiency??

One of the confusing issues is that there will be three separate stations called Canary Wharf - the DLR, Jubilee Line and the Elizabeth Line stations - which are not particularly close to each other. And connecting from the DLR to either other line you would not use the Canary Wharf DLR station... We do this just to confuse visitors [emoji3]

Well, I am confused, so good work on that! So, theoretically, how would one connect to the DLR from Jubilee (or the still-in-work Elizabeth Line)?

Currently, Heathrow Connect fare from Heathrow to Paddington is £10-30, by the way. I believe the TfL Rail fares from next month will be the same or cheaper and will allow use of Oyster/contactless. Full Elizabeth Line pricing will become clearer in due course!

HEX will still be about 8 minutes quicker into Paddington.

Hmm, that fare seems high compared to advance booking for HEX, but the ability to use Oyster could be a big help. 8 minutes is not bad. But not worth a huge premium. Still looks like a early purchase HEX ticket, is the better deal. Even allowing for some sort of transfer at Paddington, unless you're lucky enough to be staying in that area.

Makes me think next time we go, we should use Premier Inn Paddington :)

ML

Well, I am confused, so good work on that! So, theoretically, how would one connect to the DLR from Jubilee (or the still-in-work Elizabeth Line)?

From Jubilee, Heron Quays DLR is closest. From Elizabeth Line, West India Quay.

Are you going to Canary Wharf?

Connect much cheaper than HEX? Is that for same day purchase tickets? When we were planning on using HEX, we could have booked one-way tickets for 5 or 6 (maybe 7) pounds each when purchased well in advance. I thought that was good, considering the speed of the service. And certainly compared to a non-discounted ticket.
The problem with HEX is that many of us simply can't plan that part of the journey far enough in advance to make use of the advance purchase fares. Often, the air ticket hasn't even been bought yet when the HEX prices start going up. And even if I could commit to using HEX more than two weeks before travel, it's already £16.50 one-way.

So how is Connect different that just taking Piccadilly Line?
It's more expensive, and it's out of the way. You can't use Oyster on Heathrow Connect, so you're paying the fare for that on top of the fare for the onward travel from Paddington.

In contrast, if I can get on to the Tube by 0629, or if I linger at the airport and do some work there until 0930, it's £3.10 one-way all the way to my destination.

But won't HEX still be faster? Or will it stop operating? And reasonably priced if you know what you need and buy 60 days out? Or is it just the access to central London that makes it attractive? I'll go read the link you provided but just curious.

I think it is likely we will get back to London sometime and I feel much better equipped now to travel to and from LHR. There are some good options available at reasonable prices using tube/trains. And I was leaning HEX due to the quick trip, availability of cheap fares if booked early, and it's easy to transfer at Paddington (well, easy in that it can be done, maybe not the most convenient transfer). So, I would be sad to see that option disappear or be available at a much higher cost.

Even as things stand, HEX is only fast if you're going to somewhere near Paddington. When it started, I timed the two different routes from my office near St Paul's. Using HEX saved me about 10 minutes on average door-to-door, but cost a great deal more money.

The change at Paddington is also not easy, in contrast to my route on the Tube: Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, walk less than 10 feet across the platform, District Line to my destination. In contrast, at Paddington, you have to get off the train, walk to the head of the platform, across the concourse, down an escalator, along a corridor, and down another escalator to get to the Bakerloo Line platforms. In addition, I'd have to change at Embankment which is not easy: stairs up, escalator, stairs up to the District Line. Or another £25 in a cab from Paddington to the office. Why would I put myself through all that?

Once Crossrail is integrated into the TfL fares structure and running through the city centre, the demand for HEX may change dramatically. We will see.

From Jubilee, Heron Quays DLR is closest. From Elizabeth Line, West India Quay.
I have been wondering whether the footbridge from Poplar DLR will be extended over to Crossrail Place, because the walk to Poplar may be worth doing to get straight onto the east-west routes (Bank <--> Woolwich Arsenal; Tower Gateway <--> Beckton).

Getting on at West India Quay works, but if going east it involves taking the train for one stop to Poplar and then changing again there. The other way of going east is equally irritating: crossing the main shopping centre to the Jubilee Line, going to Canning Town and then changing again. I'm assuming that Oyster will set an OSI for that, but it's a long haul to get from Crossrail Place to the Jubilee Line.

The plan was to connect to Poplar, but I didn’t look round the north side of Crossrail Place to see if the link is in place or preparation.
There's nothing obviously being built at the moment, but the area that it would have to cross is, I think, a staging area for construction traffic for Crossrail Place so a footbridge extension may go in as the last step.

Are you going to Canary Wharf?

Well, I don't really know right now. I'm pretty sure we will do a river cruise to Greenwich, then I'm not sure about looking around there and taking the cruise back to The Eye or the stop across the river (I forget the name of that pier!). If I recall correctly, the return price seemed a bit steep but I did that awhile ago.

I also have a notion that we will do a Ripper Tour and then try and find some Indian food on Brick Lane, which could tie into a river cruise before. Just not sure if that is too much to do in a day. And we may want to explore Old Spitalfields Market and that area. Which could, in some roundabout touristy way involve Canary Wharf. Or not :D

Is there anything you can recommend seeing at or near Canary Wharf? That and Greenwich via river cruise would likely fill a day.

The problem with HEX is that many of us simply can't plan that part of the journey far enough in advance to make use of the advance purchase fares.

It's more expensive, and it's out of the way. You can't use Oyster on Heathrow Connect, so you're paying the fare for that on top of the fare for the onward travel from Paddington.

In contrast, if I can get on to the Tube by 0629, or if I linger at the airport and do some work there until 0930, it's £3.10 one-way all the way to my destination.

The change at Paddington is also not easy, in contrast to my route on the Tube: Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, walk less than 10 feet across the platform, District Line to my destination. In contrast, at Paddington, you have to get off the train, walk to the head of the platform, across the concourse, down an escalator, along a corridor, and down another escalator to get to the Bakerloo Line platforms.

Once Crossrail is integrated into the TfL fares structure and running through the city centre, the demand for HEX may change dramatically. We will see.

I'm too tired to mark out the sections separately, so I'll just post in one chunk.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that HEX is not cheap if you need to do it on short notice. One reason I was a bit worried about using HEX was because we would be coming from Waterloo Station. I "walked" Paddington using a You Tube video and I knew it would be a bit of a hike. We were going to do a trial run one day just to see how long it took and where to find things. I'm sort of glad that they are doing track work and we will just take a car to LHR!

And Connect seems pretty costly when there are better options. I didn't mind taking the tube from LHR to Russell Square last time I was there. Had to stand the whole way, which was fine after the long flight over the pond. The only wrinkle was the weird stop at some place outside of London, where we all had to get off the train for some kind of emergency, only to be told to get right back on. That was annoying with my luggage :)

I can see how Crossrail could have an effect on HEX as things progress. Interesting read at that link you provided. I am curious to see if they stay on schedule.

Thanks--this was a very interesting side-trip into London travel.

ML

Is it possible to visit the Tower of London, St Pauls Cathedral and Westminster Cathedral from a HOHO bus in one day? We will have 1 full day in London prior to our cruise and will be staying at the Doubletree by Hilton London-Victoria. What HOHO bus company would you recommend?