Long Beach (Queen Mary) Shopping

Elephant Man

We are staying at the Maya Doubletree prior to a departure on Splendor from the Queen Mary area.

We want to do some pre-cruise shopping prior to departure and are wondering how far it is from the Maya to a shopping mall with a supermarket and liquor store.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

EM

We are staying at the Maya Doubletree prior to a departure on Splendor from the Queen Mary area.

We want to do some pre-cruise shopping prior to departure and are wondering how far it is from the Maya to a shopping mall with a supermarket and liquor store.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

EM

I don't know how far it is but there is a free shuttle that goes from your hotel through the downtown area. Hope that helps!

Well, a local might come along and recommend something else, but we found everything we needed at the Wal Mart, which was a quick walk from the free shuttle bus that BohemianDoll mentioned. If you want an amazing breakfast place, I'd recommend the Omelette Inn. It's fabulous! We ate there twice before our cruise. We went to breakfast and then walked to Wal Mart, neat and sweet.

Here are two links for you. Click below:

http://www.omeletteinn.com/index.html

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_details_short.do?rx_dest=%2Findex.gsp&rx_title=com.wm.www.apps.storelocator.page.serviceLink.title.default&edit_object_id=2949&sfsearch_single_line_address=long+beach+ca

Yes, wine at Wal Mart, Target, Fred Meyer, and many drug stores as well. Weird huh? Not what we are used to. ;):p

From what I have just learned from other sources, I believe the Walmart closest to downtown Long Beach doesn't carry liquor or wine but ..... not to worry ..... there are two drug stores closeby (CVS and Walgreen) both of which carry liquor. They likely don't handle things like bandaids or cough medicine but who knows?

You're right, Langley, it's not at all like our people-proof government bunkers at home.

Being from Canada myself, I had asked about places to get wine while staying pre-cruise in Long Beach. I had the following information sent to me:

"If you are staying at the Hotel Maya or the Residence Inn that is near the Hotel Maya, (there is another one on first street that would be walkable) the WalMart isn't walkable. Or, it isn't IMHO. But you can take the free Passport shuttle to "downtown" to the WalMart; the nearby grocery, Albertson's; a Nordstrom Rack; and a Marshalls. "

If you check out the map for the Passport Shuttle System (free downtown); Passport C goes to City Place where all of the above stores are located.

http://198.172.203.101/schedules/pdf/34.pdf

Another reply, commented that the Walmart does not have liquor, but there was an Albertsons just down the street from it that had a large selection.

I hope this helps....enjoy your cruise.

It didn't occur to us to visit the downtown Walmart but there's an Albertson's supermarket adjacent to the Walmart (Long Beach Blvd & E 5th Street) that has an OK wine selection. You may have to ask for a store "bonus card" to get any sale pricing for wine but it's not necessary to fill out the accompanying paperwork.

Archived